Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Manual Focusing Questions

I learned my photography skills with MF cameras. For some strange reason, I like that aspect with my K10D, especially with the prime lenses available that are only MF. Don't get me wrong, I still use AF. My eyes are not as they used to be, and it seems it takes a bit longer to focus in on the subject. My questions are is their an eyecup adapter available with extra magnification for my camera to help in MF issues, or if I upgraded to a camera with "LIVE VIEW" would this help? (FYI my focusing screen is the factory installed version.)

04-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

There are a few eyepiece magnifiers out there including an OEM one that does like ~1.2x, or one like a Tenpa that does 1.36? but is larger. There are a bunch of threads around on those

Not sure how big the VF is on the K10D, on the K-5 it is a lot larger and brighter than on the K-r and much easier to MF

Live View helps a lot with MF especially wide-open with fast lenses, you can zoom to see the focus point easier, also gives you a dead on DOF preview of your final shot.

The new K-01 also offers focus-peaking which would likely help a lot but it has other negatives depending on how you shoot
04-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, what about focusing with a K-r in a dark situation (night time)? The live view would be noisy, both in image quality and actual audiable noise it generates. I'm asking this because I will be in this situation soon. At f1.7 (my fastest lens, MF only) the DoF will be pretty thin and at night you cant really rely on focus confirm or live view.

I was looking into this some time ago and found that magnifier eyecups generally affect what you see - some cut off part of the frame, others only the info displayed in the OVF. This might be a worthwhile sacrifice, though.
I read about better results (or at least more applauded results) with focusing screens, but they can be annoying to install and some might have negative effects, like the viewfinder being darker or the metering being off.
04-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcamero Quote
I learned my photography skills with MF cameras. For some strange reason, I like that aspect with my K10D, especially with the prime lenses available that are only MF. Don't get me wrong, I still use AF. My eyes are not as they used to be, and it seems it takes a bit longer to focus in on the subject. My questions are is their an eyecup adapter available with extra magnification for my camera to help in MF issues, or if I upgraded to a camera with "LIVE VIEW" would this help? (FYI my focusing screen is the factory installed version.)
I keep my eye glasses on... maybe try contacts? are you aware that on top of the eye piece you can adjust the focus on the k10? you likely already know that....
I usually just listen for the beep and check to see if the green icon lights up in the menu that is visible in your eye piece.

good luck

04-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sharper Focus?

Well, this may sound silly, but one of the best focusing aids I've found (in addition to a better focusing screen, mine is a Katz-Eye) is simple; An eyecup. These are amazing in the way they eliminate distractions and stray light. Try one and see. Less than $5.00 on eBay, the teardrop shape seems to work best in the horizontal format, round ones are better for vertical format.
Most of my lenses are M/F and I couldn't get a decent % of in-focus shots without the eyecup and better screen. The autofocus indicator helps, but A/F can be fooled, also.
There's been no metering problems so far with my K10 D/Katz-eye and the screen seems, if anything, brighter.
YMMV
Ron