Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

HDR vs GND Filter

Question:
What would you prefer using: HDR (doing this through software) or just an old fashion graduated nd filter in 1 shot?

Obviously HDR is more time consuming but it's also cheaper if you don't want to spend money on good quality filters but using filters usually has an entirely different feel.

04-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #2

This is not apple to apple comparison. HDR is a technique that combines multiple shots over a range of exposures to achieve a wider dynamic range. Whereas ND filter is used when you want to reduce the amount of light.

There is also fake HDR: split one image into multiple clones, push up/down the exposure in each image and recombine.
04-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can see where you are coming from. When a graduated ND filter is what will improve a photo would in camera HDR work?

I don't like the results of the in camera HDR and hardly ever use it. My P filter set is now redundant as I have gone from large zooms to small primes and need smaller filters. However I like the results I can get in lightroom 3 which as its own graduated filter and being able to fine tune the results. As I am always on the move and never hanging around to get the perfect photo, lightroom is the best option for me as my filters never come out.
04-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You are talking about a graduated ND filter instead of a regular ND filter, right?

HDR can be done to look more natural. But it seems most go for the over-the-top look and its getting old and ugly looking, IMHO. And the all-time reason, but -oh - that's how my eyes saw it. Bull. Manually exposure blending is effective method too and it utilizes a more artistic human touch than the everyone's shot looks the same because they plugged and chugged through the same software.

In short, I'd say you can and may need to employ both methods. A graduated ND filter has limitations. Tall things in the foreground will also vary in exposure with the filter, for example. And exposure blending may not always be practical sometimes too.

Last edited by tuco; 04-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
@Doanh, I was referring to graduated neutral density filters, not the regular uniform ND filters.

@Bob I don't like the in-camera HDR either so I prefer taking multiple shots, bracketing manually and then combining it on computer.
04-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KeithM2 Quote
I prefer taking multiple shots, bracketing manually and then combining it on computer
You are better man than me. I don't have the patience to set the camera on a trip and then sit behind the screen. maybe if I retire one day.
04-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
You are better man than me. I don't have the patience to set the camera on a trip and then sit behind the screen. maybe if I retire one day.
You can set the camera to exposure bracket and shoot handheld. Leave a little extra room around the boarder of the scene. Align the shots in, say, Photoshop (edit->align images). The camera snaps them fast. You really don't move it significantly enough.

04-18-2012, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by KeithM2 Quote
@Doanh, I was referring to graduated neutral density filters, not the regular uniform ND filters.

@Bob I don't like the in-camera HDR either so I prefer taking multiple shots, bracketing manually and then combining it on computer.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

I guess it depends on what you are after. For static objects, I think HDR would be better as a filter may degrade the image a bit. You can achieve wider dynamic range with HDR but the image can be surreal. Go for GND if you want a realistic look.
04-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Align the shots in, say, Photoshop (edit->align images).
Thanks - I will have a look at my version of photoshop
04-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You can set the camera to exposure bracket and shoot handheld. Leave a little extra room around the boarder of the scene. Align the shots in, say, Photoshop (edit->align images). The camera snaps them fast. You really don't move it significantly enough.
Unfortunately I have a K-r which does only 3 shot bracketing. FWIW in-camera hdr does okay with 3 shots but I usually prefer at least 5 shots if I were to actually take the time to edit in Photoshop
04-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've done some HDR with images from my digicams but not often because it *is* a bit of work. I use a GND more often because I'm lazy, but it's only useful when the scene can be fairly nicely bisected. It's fine for seascapes etc. I should spend more time by the sea, eh?