Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Resolution

I'm not a great fan of the Olympus E-3 noise performance (look at the dark areas, that is at ISO 100), but this picture has amazing detail:

Marco Frissen : photos : Official Olympus E-3 sample images- powered by SmugMug

Has anyone seen/taken a K10D pic with similar resolution? To my eyes this looks very close to what you'd get from a Sigma!

01-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While a very nice picture, a subject like this is often deceptive. The real test is to shoot some scenery with many fine details down to the corners, then you can tell how good they really are.
01-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
I'm not a great fan of the Olympus E-3 noise performance (look at the dark areas, that is at ISO 100), but this picture has amazing detail:

Marco Frissen : photos : Official Olympus E-3 sample images- powered by SmugMug

Has anyone seen/taken a K10D pic with similar resolution? To my eyes this looks very close to what you'd get from a Sigma!
Here is a quick shot I took of my wife Christmas morning. Direct conversion to jpeg, no post processing otherwise. K10D, 1/60@f/8, DA* 16-50 at 50mm, internal flash.
My beloved Claire with her Christmas Present on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
While a very nice picture, a subject like this is often deceptive. The real test is to shoot some scenery with many fine details down to the corners, then you can tell how good they really are.
And here is a shot I took New Year's Day while on a drive. K10D, DA* 16-50, 1/60 @ f/10, Manfrotto 055B tripod with 0168 ball head. Check the corners, and the ice fishers at the top right thirds point, approximately. Auto defringe and conversion to jpeg in Lightroom - no other processing applied.

Beauvais Lake, Alberta on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

01-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #5

I don't want to rush to judgement, but the shadows in that look aweful. Hwever I would chalk that up to over processing, unless someone else knows better.
01-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
I don't want to rush to judgement, but the shadows in that look aweful. Hwever I would chalk that up to over processing, unless someone else knows better.
If you're talking about Claire - yeah! I actually used a softer shot without flash. No room to move Christmas day - but it is clear!
01-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If you're talking about Claire - yeah! I actually used a softer shot without flash. No room to move Christmas day - but it is clear!
No Sir! Claire was beautiful. And, the shot looked great. The first shot at the top of the thread, that was aweful.

01-14-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No Sir! Claire was beautiful. And, the shot looked great. The first shot at the top of the thread, that was aweful.
I thought you were talking about the shadow on the drapes behind Claire. On camera flash stinks, but I am still playing with all the gizmos on my new K10D. The thread was on sharpness and detail, so I put up two photos on Flickr that demonstrated that the K10D can be sharp, too.

I think the original shot was meant to be "moody", which it was.
01-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I thought you were talking about the shadow on the drapes behind Claire. On camera flash stinks, but I am still playing with all the gizmos on my new K10D. The thread was on sharpness and detail, so I put up two photos on Flickr that demonstrated that the K10D can be sharp, too.

I think the original shot was meant to be "moody", which it was.
Ah, I see. Hard shadows are not great, but as far as the go yours looks fine. I was keying off of what Ricardo said about the dark areas in that original image. Look at them at full res. They are terrible. For ISO 100 to have that kind of noise, and noise banding. That is pretty bad.

Your pics were great. I particularly enjoyed looking over that frozen lake in photoshop. That's a really great image.
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, I see. Hard shadows are not great, but as far as the go yours looks fine. I was keying off of what Ricardo said about the dark areas in that original image. Look at them at full res. They are terrible. For ISO 100 to have that kind of noise, and noise banding. That is pretty bad.

Your pics were great. I particularly enjoyed looking over that frozen lake in photoshop. That's a really great image.
Thanks, Almo. Beauvais Lake is one of our favourite places for day drives. Claire and I are very lucky to live where we do. We have no plans to move as long as we can still move ourselves.