Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tablet PC

I have been kicking around the purchase of photo editing software for a while. I'm using Picasa and am satisfied with the results but am looking for software that will do more as my digital experience grows. My question.....one of the computers in the house is a Gateway Tablet/notebook that my daughter uses. Do any of the software packages out there support tablet features? Wacom gives you Photoshop elements with their Tablet purchase but I don't know if it requires their software or Adobe supports it automatically. I can't find any information on Adobe's website and Microsoft doesn't mention anything much on photo editing on their Tablet Edition OS. The Tablets are a small percentage of the laptops but they are very popular with college kids.

01-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a 2005 model Toshiba Tablet PC. Basically the pen is just a very fancy mouse on these guys. Everything you can do with the mouse you do with the Pen. Plus, you can freehand text that is just like writing with a pen. There are add ons to the OS that allows for cut and past off of the screen - you might get OneNote - a pen based document management system (never has been my favorite however) plus all the other goodies. Their pool game is interesting - wasted a lot of time on that. If you are shooting slides - you can kill the wall paper, make the background white - and badda bing - you have a light table.

The tablet features are supported by the OS - the applications see it as a mouse. The upper levels of Vista support Tablet functions by default - no need for a seperate version of the OS. I have a really cheap pen/pad on my Vista desktop - and all the Tablet features on on the select list. - Tablet PC's lead the way in voice control too - although my wife gets really p*ssed when I keep yelling "Page Down, Page Down, Page Down D*mn you".

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the info. That is my daughters computer and she's a full time student so its with her at college. She has recently got the photography bug too and is thinking of taking a class next semester. She can get Photoshop dirt cheap from the college so that is probably the way we will go.