Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

Infrared photography with K-7

Hello,

I have problem with processing my infrared images. I use Hoya R72 filter on Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (Pentax K-7).
Can someone tell me the best way to process IR image? I use suggestions that is given in many videos (youtube), but the result is very bad..
Here are some examples : ISO 100, f/8, exposure 10 sec.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
looks like you need a bit longer exposure
05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
I am shooting IR with K5 and Hoya R72 filter. For post-processing I am using the following procedure described by the forum member:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/559973-post33.html
Also my impression is that on your sample picture is not enough light. Usually I get the best results when it is a lot of sunshine. Otherwise the images will be a bit dim.
Attaching the link to IR photography community web page as well:
irphotocom - Home
All the best,
Yuriy
05-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add in that there is an ir filter before the sensor that blocks transmission (which is one of the reasons people have conversions done)
I haven't tried ir on my k7 with a filter but results were missed on my other cameras. mostly if I want true ir I shoot film (saves lots of PP time )

05-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Not sure how the K-7 IR blocking filter goes, but I know on my K200D it is VERY strong compared to other brands. It does make it very difficult to get those nice fake colour IR shots (reversed colours or whatever). I still use the IR filter occasionally, as it gives fantastic contrast for B&W shots, and gives me good daytime long exposures (usually at least 30 sec). I tend to look really closely at the histogram when shooting IR. You really need to push the upper boundaries of the histogram without going over to make the final result have good contrast and pop.

Some examples of my K200D 720nm IR shots here (take note of the EXIF, exposures are LONG!) - Hoya R72 - a set on Flickr

A little glimpse of a pre-processed shot here - More Digital Infrared (IR) Photography | Jezza's Photography Stories
05-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your advices!
Yesterday I tried to make photos, but only without colors it looks good.
When I process picture with channels in photoshop, colors become very distorted.