Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #31
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My biggest problem is getting more equipment on the plane and to the locations I shoot at.

Once I was happy with a single 35mm film camera and my 645 gear.

Now, I have zooms and primes and video.

Video has added sliders, mics, video heads and video tripods.

All the 645 gear has stayed home, as I hone my video skills, while also shooting stills.

I am seriously thinking about taking someone with me just to carry some stuff.
Lauren - based on your avatar, I have visions of you on a motorbike towing a trailer of full of gear.
Now I'm gonna need to add a sidecar for your assistant.
This is starting to sound a little unpractical

05-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Lauren - based on your avatar, I have visions of you on a motorbike towing a trailer of full of gear.
Now I'm gonna need to add a sidecar for your assistant.
This is starting to sound a little unpractical
LOL. That's funny.

Take a look at one of my "projects".

Mounting a Tripod on a Motorcycle

05-07-2012, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #33
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Take a look at one of my "projects".
Now I'm just scared. I'm definitely not going to give you any suggestions for "little" projects you might try.

(With apologies to the OP for this slight diversion to the thread topic).
05-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. People photography - I am terrible at posing people, because I lack creativity in posing and lighting formal portraits. My candids usually manage to catch people while they're talking, in an awkward pose, terrible background, etc. I am uncomfortable shooting strangers on the street, so I do it infrequently and furtively. I am basically incompetent when it comes to shooting human subjects.

2. Creativity is a problem when there's no obvious subject. I found it easy to take photos in Paris for example, where there's marvellous architecture everywhere. It's easy to take photos of interesting geography; mountains, deserts, oceans, etc. I'm comfortable shooting events like rallies, parties and sports. Nature photography is my usual fare; critters, macros, plants, etc. Where I am stuck is taking photos where there is no obvious subject. This always gets me in the "Single In" challenge. I quickly run out of ideas. If I'm traveling, finding something to shoot is no problem. If I have to find something to shoot in the house or the neighbourhood, I'm completely lost (it's not as bad in summer when there are plants and insects around). I really admire people who can make an interesting photo out of common or normally uninteresting subjects.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.
05-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Gear is not a problem. Getting my moldy butt out and USING the gear is the problem. That's mostly a matter of time and energy and motivation.

Case in point: I just spent a few months in one of the most photogenic places in USA, good old Bisbee Arizona. But I've already walked every inch of the place over the last decade, with cameras and tripods at all hours of day and night, and I just couldn't bring myself to re-shoot it.

So we sold our historic adobe there and I'm ready for the next picturesque place. I'll hopefully spend Oct.2012-Apr.2013 wandering around Central America again. No lack of hot subjects THERE, eh?
05-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Spending too much time on eBay trying to fulfill LBA rather than shooting
How true this is!!!
05-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #37

The Composition is the hardest of all challenges. While sometimes I forget about rules and books, and shoot just by heart, the result is ok for me, but it is a rarest occasion. Most of the time I'm in struggle with a frame

05-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #38

Photos: Gallery
Right now I'm struggling with manual focus. For some reason, I can't get many sharp pictures with my A50 f/1.4, and I'm not sure what to do about it. :/ Things look sharp in the viewfinder (my eyesight is pretty good), my settings are right (shutter high enough to account for possible shake and lens stopped down enough to account for softness), and my gear is as clean as I can get it…but when I put the images on the computer and play around with them…well…no dice.

Is it the fact that I'm not using a lens hood? Would that cause a "ghosting" issue?
05-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #39
Veteran Member

So much about lenses and technical things like sharpness. The truth is if you want to overcome these you actually will. Get over the thought the images aren't up to Magnum standards and just shoot.

My photography problem/challenge is the one I think everyone should have - that my images don't have enough feeling. That they need to mean something.
My two cents.
05-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
So much about lenses and technical things like sharpness. The truth is if you want to overcome these you actually will. Get over the thought the images aren't up to Magnum standards and just shoot.
Well…I'm still shooting…it's just aggravating to see that half of your pictures are soft but they all looked sharp in the viewfinder (with good eyesight). I'm not looking for "magnum" standard, I'm just looking to meet a mark I've achieved before… with the same lens... reliably.

QuoteQuote:
My photography problem/challenge is the one I think everyone should have - that my images don't have enough feeling. That they need to mean something.
My two cents.
That's true! I sometimes get bogged down in pictures of flowers, cats, and other inane things. It's hard to find a fresh, stimulating perspective on everyday things.

Here's another problem I have: whenever try to take abstract pictures, the abstractions end up detracting from the beauty of the image. Some people interpret these images as "misframed" until I explain what I see and how I think the image works. I want compose images in an orthodox way without losing the viewer, and that's a huge challenge.
05-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #41
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
Here's another problem I have: whenever try to take abstract pictures, the abstractions end up detracting from the beauty of the image. Some people interpret these images as "misframed" until I explain what I see and how I think the image works. I want compose images in an orthodox way without losing the viewer, and that's a huge challenge.
By all means push yourself to improve your abstract compositions, but don't be too hard on yourself. Some people will get it, and others won't and that is true of every aspect of life - just ask someone who has a serious allergy and is meticulous about reading ingredients while other people view that person as paranoid and excessive - to give one example of many. I can appreciate an abstract piece of art, but rarely to I like them.
05-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #42
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

My absolute biggest problem is lack of creativity. I just have a horrible time coming up with something to photograph.
05-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #43
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Lying to myself that I will "get better".....when I clearly don't! I should quit and take up golf, where failing would be even easier!
05-14-2012, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
That they [images] need to mean something.
Without this nothing else really matters.
05-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
Is it the fact that I'm not using a lens hood? Would that cause a "ghosting" issue?
I'm no expert on SLR lenses on DSLR's, but i think its got to do with coatings. Basically the sensor is shiny and it can cause a reflection from the sensor and the back element. Modern lenses are coated to prevent that, old ones aren't.