Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Low light/pitch black DSLR focusing

I hear so many times that people have a hard time with "Low Light" focusing on Pentax DSLRs. Some folks feel that the in-camera illuminator light is not up to the task of competitor's low light performance.

When I am shooting in pitch blackness or in extreme darkness, I don't even try to use the in-camera illuminator.

I use the little used feature on many of Pentax flashes called "SB".

On many Pentax flashes, there is a mode called "SB" which stands for "Spot Beam".

Spot beam illumination is NOT the green light that flashes in-camera, but an IR beam that is part of the flash. The "IR" beam goes MUCH further and will not distract people or cause red-eye or pupil dilation - as in zero distraction to subjects.

The "SB" function is why you see that "red" plastic cover on flashes!

Before you give up on "Low light" focusing performance, get yourself a Pentax flash that has the "SB" mode, and you will be amazed at how well your Pentax focuses!

In the image below, you can see that SB function has been with Pentax flashes for a LONG time.

So before you give up on Pentax low light, try using the "SB" function on Pentax flashes.

05-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LorenOE
Very good point. Thank you for the refresher which would be of interest to many.

Although I agree generally with you that "dome folks feel [too easily] that the in-camera illuminator light is not up to the task of competitor's low light performance", there are situations when the flash is not an option nor the in-camera illuminator. These include when you shoot outdoor at dusk and dawn, and I do so often. In that case, the best option is MF, irrespective of the camera brand .

Last edited by hcc; 05-13-2012 at 04:41 AM.
05-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
LorenOE
Vety good point. Thank you for the refresher which would be of interest to many.

Although I agree generally with you that "dome folks feel [too easily] that the in-camera illuminator light is not up to the task of competitor's low light performance", there are situations when the flash is not an option nor the in-camera illuminator. These include when you shoot outdoor at dusk and dawn, and I do so often. In that case, the best option is MF, irrespective of the camera brand .
True. However, most people that have a hard time with "Low light" would be amazed at how far "SB" throws a beam. It's quite extraordinary.

"SB" is one of those little used features, and if I can keep a Pentaxian with Pentax, then my mission is complete.
05-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A, "SB" illuminator like the O-GPS-1 as an accessory, would be amazing if Pentax made one.

I would kill for a Pentax version of this.

SC_29_TTL_Off_Camera_Shoe

It comes with a dedicated AF illuminator. I had one for a few days before I sold my Nikon D7000.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-12-2012 at 05:15 PM.
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're right Lauren. Though it isn't much good with even slightly moving subjects. The issue with SB to me is its frustratingly slow responsiveness with the camera, in cases when in camera LED AF assist would easily do the job better. And of course, neither method is of much use in near infinity focus, and the K-5 does struggle to focus (or even grossly front focus) long distance night subjects that are reasonably lit (like buildings with internals lighting). The K20D I had didn't seem to have a problem in these settings. But it's not a bit deal for me since I can just manually focus in this setting.
05-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You're right Lauren. Though it isn't much good with even slightly moving subjects. The issue with SB to me is its frustratingly slow responsiveness with the camera, in cases when in camera LED AF assist would easily do the job better. And of course, neither method is of much use in near infinity focus, and the K-5 does struggle to focus (or even grossly front focus) long distance night subjects that are reasonably lit (like buildings with internals lighting). The K20D I had didn't seem to have a problem in these settings. But it's not a bit deal for me since I can just manually focus in this setting.
Again, true, although I have not had an issue with things that are moving and using "SB".
05-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On eBay you will occasionally see the old SCA Adapter with built in IR light (Metz SCA374/2 AF M1). It works well with my K200D.

It's from the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94644-auto-focus-...shoe-slot.html

05-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
On eBay you will occasionally see the old SCA Adapter with built in IR light (Metz SCA374/2 AF M1). It works well with my K200D.
Cool!!!!!