Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Smile!"

As mentioned in Slackercruster's thread "What are your biggest photography problems/challenges?", several posters listed portraits and shooting strangers.
There's an easy way to overcome this hurdle, at little risk to yourself;
Public Events.
Take your camera and a few lenses to any rally, festival, show, protest, demonstration, live performance (if cameras are allowed), carnival, fair, expo, street music or other (usually "Free") public event.
The participants are used to cameras, that's why they're there. They will willingly pose, not just for you, but virtually anyone with a camera. They're not always looking directly are your lens; Other are taking advantage of the "Photo Op".
Here's a few examples from a Denver Bronco Rally, Car Show, street musicians and Cinco De Mayo.
It's fun, great practice and safe. Try it!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, Ron,
Good idea. I have long wanted to do portraits, even procured a book on it, but have not gotten started. Using public events will really help. Are there protocols involved? e.g. Do you ask permission? Do you make any commitments to give copies? etc., etc.? We have several festivals coming up over the summer. Maybe I should start a "people collection"!
Bob
05-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree. Public events are my favorite to shoot people pics.

You will still get 2 different reactions to the camera:

Last edited by psychdoc; 11-14-2015 at 03:37 PM.
05-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great illustration of your point!

05-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RM Barker Quote
Hey, Ron,
Good idea. I have long wanted to do portraits, even procured a book on it, but have not gotten started. Using public events will really help. Are there protocols involved? e.g. Do you ask permission? Do you make any commitments to give copies? etc., etc.? We have several festivals coming up over the summer. Maybe I should start a "people collection"!
Bob
Permission: I dont ask permission. The best way to shoot is to simply not hide. Stand in an obvious place, take a monopod, a photovest, a big lens, (50-135) is my favorite. Look like you know what you are doing. Dont look sneaky. Sometimes people will come up and ask you to email the photos to them. I always oblige. Occasionaly people have asked me whether I am shooting for a newspaper. I usually say I am learning to shoot more professionally and this is a practice shoot. Obviously this is very different from street photography.
05-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Permission: I dont ask permission. The best way to shoot is to simply not hide. Stand in an obvious place, take a monopod, a photovest, a big lens, (50-135) is my favorite. Look like you know what you are doing. Dont look sneaky. Sometimes people will come up and ask you to email the photos to them. I always oblige. Occasionaly people have asked me whether I am shooting for a newspaper. I usually say I am learning to shoot more professionally and this is a practice shoot. Obviously this is very different from street photography.
I'll give it a try - first opportunity. I'll post about it!
05-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

With a decent lens, and the less-inhibited state that people are in while at events, you can also as in the pics below:
# get great expressions, especially with kids in the event
# people will sometimes start dancing to the music,
# or depending on the event you can get some poignant pictures.

Last edited by psychdoc; 11-14-2015 at 03:37 PM.
05-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Click Away!

Hi Bob,
Nope, I hardly ever ask permission at these type of events, you just line up with all the other folks who are clicking away. With young children, I make sure their parents or guardians are nearby and they have already told the children to "Smile". Although you can't see it in the crops of the Cinco De Mayo shots, the dance instructor was less than a foot from the girls the whole time.
She told us very firmly when it was photo time and when photo time was over.
Also, I agree with Psychdoc, the more pro-looking equipment you have with you, the better your chances.
With street performers (or "Buskers" as their sometimes called) I take my shots and then usually throw a buck or two into their collection pot.
Car shows are about the easiest; These guys LOVE their cars, will willingly open the hood, pose, ask for copies, etc.
Dancers and singers can be a little skittish when they're not performing. I shoot during the performance, not afterwards. The Cinco shots were an exception, the instructor led the children out for a single photo op, well-controlled. Be ready!
Thanks to Psychdoc for his examples and advice, hope to see more!
Ron