Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I will try this stuff this weekend. I always shoot RAW, and I use Adobe CS5. I have no ide how to use LR4, even though I have it. I'll post some examples so people can give me critique on them.

05-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many good comments from many contributors. Just want to throw-in that softness can be a result of lack of contrast as well. I always use a hood. Seems to me there's a comment on that in one of our PF reviews on 50's. Any filters attached? Use with caution. And like the old "Is it plugged-in?" solution to electronics, is your glass clean? Other than that, open-up, stabilise, remote or delay shutter and then have fun. And get a viewpoint from a trustworthy 3rd party - we're our own worst enemies when it comes objectivity.
05-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Many good comments from many contributors. Just want to throw-in that softness can be a result of lack of contrast as well. I always use a hood. Seems to me there's a comment on that in one of our PF reviews on 50's. Any filters attached? Use with caution. And like the old "Is it plugged-in?" solution to electronics, is your glass clean? Other than that, open-up, stabilise, remote or delay shutter and then have fun. And get a viewpoint from a trustworthy 3rd party - we're our own worst enemies when it comes objectivity.

Agreed - use hoods.
05-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I will try this stuff this weekend. I always shoot RAW, and I use Adobe CS5. I have no ide how to use LR4, even though I have it. I'll post some examples so people can give me critique on them.
I don't know CS5. What you want is the ability to increase microcontrast. LR calls it 'clarity'; NIK calls it structure. It's what Zeiss lens have and what often impresses viewers as 'sharp'. don't go overboard, though. Watchout for artifacts and unpleasant effects.

05-25-2012, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Yes, there is an optimum aperture for each lens that you need to know, and it's important to balance depth of field against diffraction, so the fastest lens may not be the best landscape lens. All this talk of lenses and apertures miss the point that technique (and attitude) influences four of the five top image sharpness factors for any given camera.

1. Camera movement is the number one cause of lack of sharpness in landscapes. Go to the forums on Luminous Landscape and you'll find long threads on proper tripod technique. The simple truth it most of the time you'll get a sharper image with a kit lens and a good tripod than you can get with the best prime handheld. That's not saying that a good lens won't give even better results, just that a good tripod and good tripod discipline are the number one factor, regardless of lens.
Is this the world's best tripod?

2. Number two might be lens choice. Yes, better lenses produce sharper images, but you have to see a dramatic increase in lens quality to make up for inexpert tripod discipline.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/tripods_&_heads.shtml

3. Number three is making sure that you have mirror lockup. Work with any landscape pro and you'll see them make sure that there is no mirror movement during their shooting. Minimizing internal movement is important for maximum sharpness.
Understanding Mirror Lock-Up | Better Photos Digital Photography Courses Classes Workshops and Photo Walks

4. Another factor is ISO. The better dynamic range possible at lowest ISO translates into not only greater dynamic range but generally better local contrast, which gives the appearance of sharpness. This also gives the greatest potential for tweaking the image in post processing.

5. Patience may be the most important tool in the landscape photographer's kit. If it's windy, you aren't going to get the sharpest photo. If the light is bad, you won't get the best photo. You may get decent ones, but not the best, the kind that grace the gallery displays or printed images of the best landscape photographers. You may have to wait for hours in the rain for the clouds to look just so, then not get what you want. You may have to return to the same location numerous times to get conditions just right. That's just the nature of the beast.