Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Subject Distance Calculation

I am new to the forum, so firstly, hello everyone

I am wondering if there is a formula to calculate the proper subject distance, using focal length of the lens and actual height of the subject.

05-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are not considering macro, then there is a very simple approximation that I use

Image height = Subject Height * focal length / Distance

All units in mm

the formula gets more complicated when you focus closer than about 10x the focal length, but at reasonable shooting distances, the approximation is quite good

Edit note, proper shooting distance is a subjective thing, proper does not only include height, but also the perspective of the lens. You need to consider this also, because lens perspective can cause "distortion" of figures especially when shooting with a wide angle lens, so even if you get the "proper" image size, the image itself may be very un-flattering
05-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Lowell,

thanks for the reply. No i am not considering macro. Just full body shots of people, so i'd say image height is slightly greater than subject height by few inches. I know subject distance can be easily obtained through viewfinder, by getting closer or farther from the subject (with prime lens), keeping the difference between subject and image height to minimum. But i was thinking perhaps there is a formula to get the numeric value of subject distance, so that it can be properly used for DOF calculations. I'm sure Angle of View of the lens has also something to do with the subject distance.
05-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

AOV is not needed because you've image and subject height.

here is a calculator
http://www.giangrandi.ch/optics/lenses/focalcalc.html
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

you need to give object distance so you need to play around with it a bit

Last edited by Anvh; 05-25-2012 at 09:10 AM.
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I saw these calculators. They're pretty much useless for my purpose, because they all require numeric value for the subject distance, which i am trying to figure out.

Let me rephrase my question: with 50mm prime lens (with AOV 46 degrees), and a subject height of 175 centimeters (image height 185 centimeters), what should be the distance to the subject?
05-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But there is nothing to stop you from putting in a guess until it pops out the right focal length. I assumed 24mm for the sensor height which gives a distance around 6 meters, but you may want to shoot in portrait mode which would put you closer to 4 meters unless I'm using these calculators completely wrong. I've assumed an APS-C sensor, rather than FF.
05-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by L&D Quote
Let me rephrase my question: with 50mm prime lens (with AOV 46 degrees), and a subject height of 175 centimeters (image height 185 centimeters), what should be the distance to the subject?
"What should the distance to the subject be" to do what? To fill the frame with the subject? To fill half the frame? To fill 1% of the frame?

If you want to fill the frame with the subject, then take the equation that Lowell provided and solve for subject distance, since you know the values for all the other variables.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 05-25-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
05-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
"What should the distance to the subject be" to do what? To fill the frame with the subject? To fill half the frame? To fill 1% of the frame?

If you want to fill the frame with the subject, then take the equation that Lowell provided and solve for subject distance, since you know the values for all the other variables.
Obviously to fill the frame. Lowell's equation, while useful, is to calculate the image height, which i am not after and which still requires a variable that i am trying to calculate (distance to the subject).

05-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Rewriting Lowell's equation:

Distance * Image height = Subject Height * focal length
Distance = Subject Height * focal length / Image height
05-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Rewriting Lowell's equation:

Distance * Image height = Subject Height * focal length
Distance = Subject Height * focal length / Image height

distance = 175cm * 5cm (50mm) / 185cm
distance = 4.72972972972973

am I getting this right?
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Lowell,

thanks for the reply. No i am not considering macro. Just full body shots of people, so i'd say image height is slightly greater than subject height by few inches. I know subject distance can be easily obtained through viewfinder, by getting closer or farther from the subject (with prime lens), keeping the difference between subject and image height to minimum. But i was thinking perhaps there is a formula to get the numeric value of subject distance, so that it can be properly used for DOF calculations. I'm sure Angle of View of the lens has also something to do with the subject distance.
OK if this is what you are looking for, then start with switching this formula around,

Distance = subject height * focal length / Image height

The image height is easy, that is 16mm high and 24mm wide (i.e. the format of your sensor)

then, go on line and take any DOF calculator and consider the DOF vs aperture for the lens you pick. BUT, I did an exercise a while back where I looked at the change in DOF vs shooting distance and found that what it all boiled down to was that in a first order, the Depth of field in actual units of measure did not change as you changed focal length and shooting distance to maintain the subject image the same.

What this means is if you shoot from 5 feet at F2.8 with a 50mm lens, shooting from 10 feet at F2.8 with a 100mm lens will have basically the same depth of field.
05-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah, I saw these calculators. They're pretty much useless for my purpose, because they all require numeric value for the subject distance, which i am trying to figure out.

That's why i said play around with the numbers.
i tried several distance and 360 cm is close with 172.8cm

that is with the orientation in portrait.

in landscape you need around 550cm that result in 176cm
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

distance = 175cm * 5cm (50mm) / 185cm
distance = 4.72972972972973

am I getting this right?
no image height is your sensor heigth and i doubt your sensor is 185cm heigh, that's as heigh as i'm...
05-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, it seems that mathematics are a limiting factor here so I will do some of the work

Having rewritten the formula

distance = image height * focal length / subject height,

take your 50mm lens (5cm to keep units dame), subject height of 175 cm, ( some one standing) and assume vertical format or 2.4 cm for the image height, then you have

distance = 175 * 5 / 2.4 = 364 cm or 3.64 meters (about 10 feet)
05-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
That's why i said play around with the numbers.
i tried several distance and 360 cm is close with 172.8cm

that is with the orientation in portrait.

in landscape you need around 550cm that result in 176cm
Hi Anvh,

Thank you for taking the time to answer me , but i am not trying to find out the subject distance, but rather formula through which i can calculate the subject distance using other variables (AOV, Focal length of the lens, subject height etc).