Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Number of lenses I can use with selectable points: 12
Number of lenses I CAN'T use with point selection: 228
How often I use selectable-points technique: not very

Do cameras newer than my K20D allow point-selection (for CIF, focus confirmation, etc) with A-types or other lenses other than F, FA, DFA, and DA? Can modern A-type MF lenses like the Samyangs use point selection on newer cameras? Yes, I know AF point selection is for AF lenses. But CIF and focus confirmation are part of the same system. [/me is bewildered]

05-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I'm curious, does that ever pose a problem in as far as it takes longer to scroll through them and get to the specific one you want? I played around with the D7000 in store once and if I remember correctly you could scroll through selectable AF zones which then would constrain the AF to work within only that zone and pick a point for you like full AF would but restricted to just that one area. It seemed to work pretty well.
No it doesnt take longer at all, in fact I think I can do faster than the K-5 due to the D700 better controller selecter.

You dont have to use all 51, you can set it up to use 11 if you want K-5 mode
05-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Number of lenses I can use with selectable points: 12
Number of lenses I CAN'T use with point selection: 228
How often I use selectable-points technique: not very

Do cameras newer than my K20D allow point-selection (for CIF, focus confirmation, etc) with A-types or other lenses other than F, FA, DFA, and DA? Can modern A-type MF lenses like the Samyangs use point selection on newer cameras? Yes, I know AF point selection is for AF lenses. But CIF and focus confirmation are part of the same system. [/me is bewildered]
D700 allows you to use point selection(all 51 of them) with all those manual lenses so your not just limited to the center point like on a Pentax
05-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
D700 allows you to use point selection(all 51 of them) with all those manual lenses so your not just limited to the center point like on a Pentax
Number of lenses I could use with a D700: 18
Number of lenses I CAN'T use with a D700: 222
My chances of switching over to a D700: minimal

It's actually not quite that bad. Yeah, I have a dozen Nikon mount (some chopped a bit) and a half-dozen T2 and Adaptall lenses that would fit. I can't port PK or screwmount or other modded lenses, but I could put about 45 enlarger-projector-copy-etc lenses on Nikon tubes or bellows. That makes the balance about 65:175. My disincentives remain rather strong, eh?

05-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@RioRico 240 lenses! Crikey! You desperately need to sign up for a LBA Anonymous group. You must have a spare room for just lenses.
05-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Yeah, that's true as well. I use more and more manual lenses. Although someone showed that mod to trick your camera into thinking any lens is an 'A' lens. Sounds mighty useful, and raises the question why can't it just use those points on a manual lens anyway since it can be tricked into it?

Regarding focusing and recomposing with manual lenses. Yes, if you've got a split-screen it can be useful to get a good focus. Also if you are using a zoom lens you zoom in and focus then zoom out to your actual composition, as long as your zoom doesn't drift and such focus actually remains accurate. I can see that my technique has been correct, but my thinking about it has been inaccurate. With a manual middle distance prime I compose then focus, which with my new S-type focusing screen is very nice.
05-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
@RioRico 240 lenses! Crikey! You desperately need to sign up for a LBA Anonymous group. You must have a spare room for just lenses.
That's not counting the 120 I've already sold. It does include the 20 currently in my SELL pile. The secret: I intermittently deal lenses and cameras on eBay. I'm a lens trader. I buy batches of stuff, harvest what I want, hang on to the rest until it's worth selling, then average 100% profit on it. This helps pay for the keepers. I have no disposable income so if I want to buy something, I must sell something first. As I worm my way through my accumulation, more get added to the SELL pile. My count of keepers may stabilize at around 200 -- unless I get a NEX.

A number of my keepers are enlarger-projector-copy-process-xray-etc lenses I mount on extension (tubes, bellows, helicoid) to use photographically. A number of others aren't worth selling. Others await a Q or NEX for use because they're short-register, only good for closeups on a PK or M42 camera. Oh, but if I *do* get a NEX, I'll just want more short-register lenses. What a pickle. Kill me now.

A lens storage closet wouldn't be appropriate. I want them MUCH closer to me. So I sit at my desk littered with computers and notes and stuff; and behind me is a wall of bookshelves; and some of the shelves are filled with drawer units; and those drawers are filled with lenses; and some shelves are lined with longer lenses and bellows, or loaded with cameras; and a couple bags filled with other photo gear are stuffed into some shelves. Other walls in here are hung with guitars, banjos, lutes, mandolins, dulcimers, etc. Tripods etc lean into corners. Yes, it's cozy. No, the wee tiny grandchildren aren't allowed in here.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.
05-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A lens storage closet wouldn't be appropriate. I want them MUCH closer to me. So I sit at my desk littered with computers and notes and stuff; and behind me is a wall of bookshelves; and some of the shelves are filled with drawer units; and those drawers are filled with lenses; and some shelves are lined with longer lenses and bellows, or loaded with cameras; and a couple bags filled with other photo gear are stuffed into some shelves. Other walls in here are hung with guitars, banjos, lutes, mandolins, dulcimers, etc. Tripods etc lean into corners. Yes, it's cozy. No, the wee tiny grandchildren aren't allowed in here.
That gives a great visual. =]
05-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
Pentaxian

When using Centre Focus and Re-compose in AF centre point on a camera make sure you are in AF-S mode and not AF-C mode, In AF-S where you focus lock it will stay focused at that point, if you are trying to use AF-C (continuious mode) it will lock on your subject, but then as you recompose it will change the focus again especially if you are only using centre spot AF point. Also , linking AE-L to AF-L will help with the Centre Recompose technique as the camera will use the Exposure settings needed for the AF point locked. So when you use the centre spot AF point and focus on your subject the camera will also lock the exposure for that place, then when you recompose the image no matter what the light is like for the new frame composition, the exposure will still be good for the place you have focused.