Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fashion Shoot Advice Please (m)

I did something wild and crazy and threw my name in a hat for a position as "paparazzi" for a grand opening here in town. I am excited about getting the opportunity but have never done anything like this before. The lenses I own are listed in my profile. Which lens combination would you use?

Here is the e-mail I received after I applied. It sounds fun. And hey, any ideas for a name for my fictitious magazine/newspaper for my *press pass*? Here is the e-mail I received:
" Greetings to All Nelson Photo VIP members

Donna Marsh Grand Opening Fashion Runway Celebration
Saturday, January 26, 2008
6pm-9:30pm
At 5:30pm, a representative from Donna Marsh will meet with us for final instructions for the evening.
Event
The evening will be split into two portions
1-Red Carpet
The event begins with the arrival of the VIP guest. After they exit valet parking, they walk a red carpet along Fay Ave that will pass in front of Nelson Photo to the closed stage area. This is marked by the letter A (see attached map). We should all fit along the ropes comfortably and cover the entire line.
2-Runway Fashion Show
The portion of the event will be held on the runway in the private area. There are three areas designated for the “paparazzi”, B1, B2, B3. (see map attached). I will hold a drawing for assigning the photographers to these spots. Because the event is for the benefit of the VIPs, we will not be able to move around when the show is on. The drawing is the fairest way to assign the spots. Photographers can trade positions if they can work it out amongst themselves. The number of photographers per site will be set to prevent distracting the guests. Also, we are expected to be on our best behavior. Unlike real paparazzi, we will not be earning our paychecks from this event.

Remember, it is really a grand opening of a business. I understand that we will be allowed to mingle after the show and enjoy the event. Details still to come.
Fun Item

I would like everyone to e-mail to me their name and the name of a fictitious magazine / newspaper for use on their press pass. You can use your own photography company if you wish, but these names must show reasonable good taste and accuracy. And of course, I will be the judge. I hope this covers any attempts at off-color name tags. Please let make it fun for everyone."

So I ask you, does this sound like a blast or what? I had to go for it. I betcha I'm the only paparazzi shooting a pentax at the event. :-)

01-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For equipment take your Sigma 17-70 and the Pentax 77mm Limited and of course your AF540.

Learn to shoot without looking through the viewfinder cause in events like that there may be a lot of photographers grabbing for the same shot and using the wide angle to your advantage could help in tight situations. It's my typical setup for bar phtography which can get crowded while trying to get that one person out of the crowd.

Not sure if that helps you much but it could be a decent way to get the shots you're looking for.
01-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would also suggest taking plenty of extra SD cards - going along with what Codiac said, taking those overhead/blind shots typically involve multiple exposures just to catch "the one."

No need to mention plenty of extra batteries for the flash :-)

Oh yeah - wear Pentax bling! Guaranteed the Canonites and Nikonians will be flashing theirs
01-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank Chris (m)

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
For equipment take your Sigma 17-70 and the Pentax 77mm Limited and of course your AF540.

Learn to shoot without looking through the viewfinder cause in events like that there may be a lot of photographers grabbing for the same shot and using the wide angle to your advantage could help in tight situations. It's my typical setup for bar photography which can get crowded while trying to get that one person out of the crowd.

Not sure if that helps you much but it could be a decent way to get the shots you're looking for.
Actually I was thinking of your video on night club shooting. I have the cactus triggers and I've been more comfortable using the 540 off camera rather than on. So I think I'll see if I can manage to hold the flash in one hand and shoot with the other. I'm also wondering if I should use the battery grip or save on the weight since I'll be shooting one handed. Depends on how my carpel tunnel is feeling that day I suppose. I was with a friend the other day who used a small table top tripod to steady his shots by pressing the mini-pod into his shoulder/chest to stabilize. That might help if I wanted to try some shots without flash.

I don't want to get *too* bogged down with gear, but I want to be as effective as I can too. From what they've said, we will have three areas that are roped off in front for us. One to the left and right stage, one at the end of the runway. Our positions will be determined by a hat draw, as we won't be able to move about from our designated areas once the show begins. I'm excited but also a little nervous!
edit: I forgot to add that there will only be 20 of us photographers from Nelsons between those three areas.

btw, I've wanted to post to your blog a few times and I get an error for my password and still haven't straightened it out. Your clip on night club shooting is the best tutorial I've ever seen. I mean really, you get to the point and make it look easy. Even though I know it isn't, watching you is encouraging. I eagerly await your next tutorial. I feel like a greedy reader. You know how if you have a favorite author you can't wait for the next book to be published? That's how I'm watching you Chris.

Last edited by LaRee; 01-19-2008 at 11:47 PM.
01-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
I would also suggest taking plenty of extra SD cards - going along with what Codiac said, taking those overhead/blind shots typically involve multiple exposures just to catch "the one."

No need to mention plenty of extra batteries for the flash :-)

Oh yeah - wear Pentax bling! Guaranteed the Canonites and Nikonians will be flashing theirs
Yikes! I would have forgot back up batteries for the flash! Thanks for the reminder. You can tell I don't shoot with flash much at all. I have five batteries for my k10d (I know silly excess) and probably 10GB in sd card storage so on that end I am set. Good idea to take a tc just in case I find myself wanting a bit more reach. I'd love to try out the Voigtlander 125 in this situation, but I'm unsure about manual focusing in this situation of quick movement. Although focus trapping might be an interesting option to throw in there. But then the V-125 is a pretty large and heavy lens to bring. I knew that the 17-70 would be the lens to use for the majority. I'm not sure how fast the event will take place so not sure if changing lenses will result in missing too much. I know we'll start out on the street/red carpet and then move inside for runway show.
01-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh man, that sounds like fun!
Good luck and I hope to see some of your pics:-).
01-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Buy or borrow another body. Take as few accessories as you think you need - then on purpose leave something out. Travel light - change cameras not lenses - you will be bumped and dropping something --- will just make you a pro.

Get a set of SD cards format them and put them in one pocket. When you swap out cards lock it and put it in another pocket. Basically, if you put a locked card into a camera - it has been used.

Carry three sets of batteries for each camera (or at least two sets per camera/flash)- the last thing you do is take them out of the charger before you leave. Get a decent flash - do not use the wimpy one built into the camera - it is good for about 10-15 feet, not far enough.

Don't drink to much, don't eat too much, go to the restroom before you leave (then get the batteries - load up the cameras and leave). Get a Pentax t-shirt - go RED. Have a great time.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I would take all the advice from each member posted. Chris being the main man to go to for this type of shooting. I can't say more about the subject, but what I can say is HAVE FUN AND POST LOTS OF SHOTS HERE. I know you will do very well.

01-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you're going to use your remote flash, make sure you go in with fresh batteries in the receiver. Those things can be very sensitive and your reliability rate can drop precipitously. And they have a habit of being on their worst behavior at the most important times.
01-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Buy or borrow another body. Take as few accessories as you think you need - then on purpose leave something out. Travel light - change cameras not lenses - you will be bumped and dropping something --- will just make you a pro.

Get a set of SD cards format them and put them in one pocket. When you swap out cards lock it and put it in another pocket. Basically, if you put a locked card into a camera - it has been used.

Carry three sets of batteries for each camera (or at least two sets per camera/flash)- the last thing you do is take them out of the charger before you leave. Get a decent flash - do not use the wimpy one built into the camera - it is good for about 10-15 feet, not far enough.

Don't drink to much, don't eat too much, go to the restroom before you leave (then get the batteries - load up the cameras and leave). Get a Pentax t-shirt - go RED. Have a great time.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Although my first k10d is in Colorado right now being serviced so I have to wing it with one k10d. Unless I use my IR only *ist ds, which I don't think I should. I have the 540 flash that I am planing on using. I also have a sunpak 383 but I'm going to be working with off camera flash and don't have another hand to hold two flashes.
01-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

Since you have only one body - I would suggest that you carry the "best" lens - as you see fit - as the primary one for the event. You could keep another one - but keep in mind that in the time it takes to swap a lens - you could lose "the moment". Then again - the whole shoot could be boring (I think not).

The IR Ds would be something interesting though - sort of pushing your boundaries.

May your SD capacity be endless and your batteries never fully discharge.

01-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Since you have only one body - I would suggest that you carry the "best" lens - as you see fit - as the primary one for the event. You could keep another one - but keep in mind that in the time it takes to swap a lens - you could lose "the moment". Then again - the whole shoot could be boring (I think not).

The IR Ds would be something interesting though - sort of pushing your boundaries.

May your SD capacity be endless and your batteries never fully discharge.

Yes I'm pushing my boundaries already without the ds IR only in the mix.
I love your Irish blessing, I may have to write that down and use it myself if you don't mind. "May your SD capacity be endless and your batteries never fully discharge" What a nice sentiment.
01-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

Thank you for responding to my little phrase - I made it up, not based on any Irish influence - but M*A*S*H was on earlier today and I remember hearing Klinger saying something along the lines of "May your camels never run out of spit".

I just put it into a slightly different context - glad you liked it. But running out of SD storage and batteries are two things that have happened to me while in the field. Niether one was really bad - but then again neither one was pleasent.

Have a good time at your shoot.

01-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I took some photos at the clothes show live last year [www.dopeytree.com/clothesshowlive]
I used the *ist DL (my k10d was delayed in the post ) + 50-200mm + 540 flash + 4gb sd
I think it went pretty well considering i was designated a spot and couldn't move!
02-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A link to the Fashion Shoot

My press pass read, "Panache Dash". That was the other fictitious magazine name I submitted. I guess Pentaxian Post would have clashed with the cannon lanyard? ;-p Nelson's did a fine job on putting them together too. Media, Donna Marsh Grand Opening Fashion Runway Celebration, Runway Access. LOL it was a hoot! And the guests were none the wiser, they believed we were the real paparazzi. :0) That was the fun part for me, shooting the guests arriving down the red carpet. It was raining and at one point there were three of us huddled under the eve next to the red carpet. As a couple came down the carpet, the three of us popped out and were flashing away. The Nelson's rep said it was just perfect. It made the guests feel important and was a huge successful brainstorm of the event/public relations man Lauren Tait. The guests were all abuzz from all the attention.

Now as we all know even with the best laid plans things can and do go awry. The night before the shoot I had the cactus trigger set up and I was testing everything out so I knew I'd be good to go. I had things dialed in to my liking and knew how I was going to use the flash off camera. I got to the shoot and set the cactus triggers up with the flash etc. and could not get them to work at all. Bought all new batteries at the camera shop even though I had just the night before changed all batteries in both the transmitter and receiver. Oh no! I have really only used my flash with any consistent success off board. I had no idea how to proceed to shoot with the flash on board, but I figured it out best I could.

It would have been a better background had we been out in the open night as was originally planned. But "it is what it is" as they say. You can't stop rain and they were quick to put up the make shift tent around the whole runway to salvage the event.

Here is the link to the gallery. LaRee | Donna Marsh Fashion ShowCheck it out in slide show form if you have the time. Let me know what you think. I know I learned a lot from this experience. I learned that I have a lot to learn!
Here is a link to the shots I posted in the Post your Photos section of the forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/20840-fashion-shoot-pics...tml#post177688

I must say that I was glad I had the k10d. Since it was raining all the other photographers had their cameras wrapped in plastic bags and what not to protect them from raindrops. It wasn't raining that hard, but we all know it only take one small drop of water getting into the wrong place and that's it for electronics at the very least until they dry out. I was the only one shooting bare. And it all worked out just fine.
Oh and I used the Sigma 17-70 for the shoot and the focal length was perfect. I had brought the 77ltd and the 10-17 FE thinking I'd try them out at one point but things moved fast and I liked the flexibility of the zoom here. Especially since I couldn't really move around at all once I got to shooting the actual runway shots.