Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #1

Metz 48 AF 1

Hi, I received a couple of weeks ago my k10d, 18-55, 50-200, fa 50mm 1.4 and the flash Metz 48 AF1.

I'm super happy with everything, apart for the flash. I don't have a diffuser, so I usually bounce on the ceiling, but it NEVER get the right exposure. Bounced it's usually very underxposed. I know I can compensate, but what's the purpose of p-ttl ? e-ttl on Canon ( I come from a 30d ) was flawless, with the 430ex, bounced or whatever.

Is my flash a bad one, or is it this way with pentax in general?

01-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does you flash support Av and Tv mode?
thanks!
01-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I find that P-TTL is very convservative with the metering in trying to preserve highlights. It is also sensitive to reflective surfaces. Setting +1 FEC makes things much better. I shoot RAW, so if a highlight is blown/almost blown, I have more latitude in RAW than I would in JPEG to recover the highlight.

I have the Pentax 540, but I'm guessing it would work similar on the Metz unit. What mode do you use on the camera? Indoors, I always use Manual mode, set the shutter speed to 1/180 (or thereabouts), f-stop to what DOF I want, and ISO lowest I can get away with so flash has enough power when bouncing.

In a "normal" room, I'm usually at ISO200, 1/180s, f/5.6 or so.

In BIG room with BIG ceilings, I'll go to f/2.8 and ISO800. I've had no problems lighting up a big room with this setup.
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
so does it asupport Av and Tv? or just Manual?

01-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Landaris Quote
Hi, I received a couple of weeks ago my k10d, 18-55, 50-200, fa 50mm 1.4 and the flash Metz 48 AF1.

I'm super happy with everything, apart for the flash. I don't have a diffuser, so I usually bounce on the ceiling, but it NEVER get the right exposure. Bounced it's usually very underxposed. I know I can compensate, but what's the purpose of p-ttl ? e-ttl on Canon ( I come from a 30d ) was flawless, with the 430ex, bounced or whatever.

Is my flash a bad one, or is it this way with pentax in general?
Reread the flash's owner's manual, and if you don't find an answer there, try this: Set the flash to a particular apeture setting, and make some test exposures. If they're consistantly underexposed, try opening up the lens 1 stop and see if the exposures are any better.

I have a Metz 36C-2 flash unit, and when I set it, and the lens to f8.0, the exposures are about 1 stop underexposed. I simply changed the apeture to f5.6, and now the exposures are fine.

I don't know if there's something wrong with the flash or the communication between the camera and the flash, but opening up 1 stop solved the problem.

By the way, I usually use my flash in auto mode, with the camera in manual mode.

Good luck.

Mike
02-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, after a lot of experiments I sent it back to B&H, because the underexposure was not even following a precise pattern, it was quite random.

So now I have a store credit to spend on another flash, between another Metz 48, a Sigma 530 Super or a Pentax 360. Any advice?
02-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #7

Another Metz or the 540.

Thanks guys, after a lot of experiments I sent it back to B&H, because the underexposure was not even following a precise pattern, it was quite random.

So now I have a store credit to spend on another flash, between another Metz 48, a Sigma 530 Super or a Pentax 360. Any advice?
I've read nothing but good things about the 48 so I'm surprised by the porblems you've had. I currently have the 360 and am pleased with all aspects of it except the lack of swivel on the head. I am currently trying to decide between a Metz 48 and a Pentax 540 (I know there's a price difference) as a new primary flash. I'd still have the 360 as a second flash to do multiple flash wireless. The only minus I can see for the Metz is no Auto mode (never really used that before) and the lower GN.
As for your question, I'd stay away from the 360 just for the lack of swivel.

02-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for the input.
I ordered again the metz 48, I hope to be more lucky this time.
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #9

Me, too

thanks for the input.
I ordered again the metz 48, I hope to be more lucky this time.
I, too, just pulled the trigger on the Metz 48 for my K10D. I can't wait to try it out.
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Inactive Account

?
I have similar issues with my Pentax 540 and K10d. I am a second shooter for a wedding photographer who uses a Canon 30D and Canon flashes. She gets much more consistent results with her set up than I do, regardless of our settings. It is something I've learned to live with and it is nothing I cannot fix in Lightroom. But the variability of the flash results can be frustrating. Best wishes with the new flash. If you get one that yields more consistency, please let me know so I can buy one.
03-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #11

Wireless Manual

I got my Metz 48 a few days ago and have been playing around with it a little. Overall it's a solid product which will replace the 360 as my primary flash. The only thing I haven't figured out, though, is how to use the flash in manual mode as a wireless slave and adjust the output.
I can set it to manual, then set it to wireless and it'll pop off using my K10d's built in flash as master. The only problem is that it always fires at 100% output. I go back to the manual menu and try to reduce the output to 1/16 or so and then set it back to slave and try again - 100% output. I go into the EV adjustment menu in the Slave setting and reduce it to -3.0 and fire it again - 100% output.
Does anyone know how to adjust the output in wireless mode when set to manual? The 360 will do this just fine and I want to have this capability on the 48 if it can. I don't want to get on ebay and get some of those V2 triggers if I don't have to.
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just got the Metz 48 AF-1 too, and mine seems to overexpose by 1/3 or so stops pretty consistently. Haven't done enough shooting to be absolutely sure what's going on, or done any specific tests yet.
03-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

just a thought...

have you all checked that you are using the viewfinder cover, IF you are holding the camera in such a way that your eye is not covering the viewfinder. Have had issues with that in the past, when shooting images 'from the hip' so to speak. random over and under exposures on my K10D..

just a though - it may affect the output for the flash