Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What am I doing wrong here? (Telephoto, Birding)

I have a Canon FD 300/4 L and a 2X TC (2x-B) that I use on my Sony NEX. I've been having a terrible time getting some decent shots with the combo. Part of the problem, I thought, is I am getting out late, but I am shooting during the tail end of the golden hour. I know a TC robs you of light and a 2x is a killer, but on a whim I took the TC off and took a few shots without the TC and only cropped. Instantly they were much better(though the subjects were less cooperative). I am using a decent tripod, Baush and Lomb Pro. I even started using an IR remote to trigger so I wouldn't get any vibration(but forgot it tonight).

W/ TC

W/O TC (Maybe too much EV compensation)

Best shots with the TC

06-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Bad TC. Don't use. Evidence is clear.

Conventional wisdom: Except with costly and/or matched lenses and TCs, IQ is better with just cropping. If IQ doesn't matter, a cheap TC is fine, or adequate anyway. If IQ *does* matter, crop, or use a longer lens. Good luck!
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rico. Looks like I was supposed to buy the 2x-A. The description I read before said to use the B for 300 and bellow, but elsewhere it says 300 and above. I'll do some more research as I don't want to waste money. I suspected the TC, but I didn't want to blame my equipment and it's good to have a second opinion.
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you use the TC, you have to stop the lens down at least 2 stops from wide-open to get decent results (generally). So you end up losing 4 stops with a 2x TC. Helps to start with a 2.8 or faster to begin with...

06-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been stopping down. I didn't want to spring for the 2.8L.

I'm thinking birding may not be for me. I get obsessed with things though. For example I decided to make an apple pie of exceptional quality. I made several pies until I had the best one I've ever eaten(sorry grandma). Turns out I don't like baking pies, and I haven't baked one since.

Last edited by kenafein; 06-11-2012 at 10:48 PM.
06-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you can get any good shot with the TC (looks like you got at least one decent one), that tells you that at least a sharp(ish) image is possible with the combo. With that settled, you have to blame non-sharpish images on slow shutter speed, bad focus, or camera shake (with extreme telephoto, even a tripod can vibrate quite a bit, especially if there is any wind or if the spine is extended at all (weigh it all down). Usually you can see that on the LCD though...
06-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I have a Canon FD 300/4 L and a 2X TC (2x-B) that I use on my Sony NEX. I've been having a terrible time getting some decent shots with the combo. Part of the problem, I thought, is I am getting out late, but I am shooting during the tail end of the golden hour. I know a TC robs you of light and a 2x is a killer, but on a whim I took the TC off and took a few shots without the TC and only cropped. Instantly they were much better(though the subjects were less cooperative). I am using a decent tripod, Baush and Lomb Pro. I even started using an IR remote to trigger so I wouldn't get any vibration(but forgot it tonight).

W/ TC

W/O TC (Maybe too much EV compensation)

Best shots with the TC

There is a simple truth. To take a decent shot of a small bird with good 300mm lens you have to get at least as close as 10-12ft. to it. I shoot K-5 and FA*300/4.5 alone or paired with Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF TC exclusively handheld. Then I usually crop up to 2-2.5x. The results are really stunning sometimes :-). Tripod complicates and slows down target acquisition of the fast moving birds IMHO. However, if you shooting at the nest or feeder, tripod helps. Also in body Pentax image stabilization helps a lot, of course. In general for not stabilized Canon lens I would suggest a good monopod and closer distances.

06-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IQ or not IQ ...

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Bad TC. Don't use. Evidence is clear.

Conventional wisdom: Except with costly and/or matched lenses and TCs, IQ is better with just cropping. If IQ doesn't matter, a cheap TC is fine, or adequate anyway. If IQ *does* matter, crop, or use a longer lens. Good luck!
Bonjour

Crop is the better solution unless you can invest in good ("faster" and/or longer) tele-glass with a matching/compatible TC ... even then your distance will still be limited to relatively close subject in a hand-held mode ...

My wife uses the K-r with a DA 55-300 and an inexpensive TC all in MF mode. IQ is not primordial since she only wants to get captures in order to ID the species, etc. If IQ counts then the TC comes off "toute de suite" ...

Good luck et salut, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 06-12-2012 at 07:50 AM.
06-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like you have complicated the situation without gaining any advantage. Why use a Nex on a Canon lens? You gave up af and gained the same image size as the crop Canon. You would be better off with a greater crop and no teleconverter. M43, Nikon 1, or my favorite the Pentax Q. Even if you use one of the other cameras most of the time get a Q as a digital teleconverter. Maybe send the Canon converter back.

Not familar with your tripod. How heavy and sturdy is it? Unless you are using carbon fiber, I would want a good 7 or 8 lb tripod - minimum, for your set up. I prefer a good ball or gimbal head.

Good luck.
barondla
06-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
yes - crop. not more glass

In the image below, the tree was a good quarter of a mile (400m) distant. I shot with a K-r using a 55-300mm at 300mm handheld with only a fence rail for support. The image included most of the tree and I significantly cropped the jpeg image. I haven't had time yet to play with the RAW image.

That is pretty extreme and the image is pixelated, but honestly the image would have been too blurry to be of any use had I used any sort of additional glass.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
06-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Seems like you have complicated the situation without gaining any advantage. Why use a Nex on a Canon lens? You gave up af and gained the same image size as the crop Canon. You would be better off with a greater crop and no teleconverter. M43, Nikon 1, or my favorite the Pentax Q. Even if you use one of the other cameras most of the time get a Q as a digital teleconverter. Maybe send the Canon converter back.

Not familar with your tripod. How heavy and sturdy is it? Unless you are using carbon fiber, I would want a good 7 or 8 lb tripod - minimum, for your set up. I prefer a good ball or gimbal head.

Good luck.
barondla
This is Canon FD equipment, so it is vintage, no af. I bought the lens with the q in mind(inspired by your read dot thread), if I found I enjoyed birding. I am not ready to buy the q or a finder similar to your setup just yet. Focusing hasn't been a problem though. It is fast and easy to focus with the NEX. I will try out my pentax equipment next go around.

Last edited by kenafein; 06-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
06-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a Pentax DA 55-300mm and A*300mm f/4, with Kenko 1.5X PZ Teleplus and Pentax A 2X-S teleconvertors. My conclusions:
- the 55-300mm zoom is not suitable for a TC. Crops provide better IQ
- the A*300 is a good match with the 1.5X TC
- the 2X TC degrades quality too much, better to use the 1.5X TC and crop

My advice to the OP is to get a good quality 1.4X TC like the Tamron 1.4X PZ, similar Kenko 1.5X PZ or suitable Canon 1.4X. I don't believe a 2x is worthwhile for an f/4 lens.
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I have a Pentax DA 55-300mm and A*300mm f/4, with Kenko 1.5X PZ Teleplus and Pentax A 2X-S teleconvertors. My conclusions:
- the 55-300mm zoom is not suitable for a TC. Crops provide better IQ
- the A*300 is a good match with the 1.5X TC
- the 2X TC degrades quality too much, better to use the 1.5X TC and crop

My advice to the OP is to get a good quality 1.4X TC like the Tamron 1.4X PZ, similar Kenko 1.5X PZ or suitable Canon 1.4X. I don't believe a 2x is worthwhile for an f/4 lens.
I had trouble finding a 1.4 or a 1.7 Canon branded TC for these lenses. I will consider getting the 2x-A and looking for a shorter one, but I'll have to do more research. I have a Promaster 7 TC for my Pentax equipment which is, supposedly, decent. I have had good results with it and the 55-300, though some contrast was lost. Someone mentioned it working well with the 70-200/2.8. The light fall off from the TC is only 1.5 instead of 1.7, but I haven't tried anything as small as a bird. I also have a Sigma 400/5.6 for my NEX to give a serious try. I'll post back in this thread, and thanks to everyone for the help.
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've tried many 2x TCs, and have come to the conclusion that they just suck. None of them delivered halfway decent IQ. So I just shoot RAW at as low an ISO as I can get away with & crop.
06-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have a 7-element 2x TC. If the base lens is very sharp and reasonably fast (f2.8), then it works ok -- much better than cropping (that might not be true of a 1.4x, but at 2x, I'm definitely getting details I can't even see without the TC). I've also gotten decent results with slower primes (f4) as long as I'm on a tripod and stop the base lens down to f11. That makes it of limited use, but the results are still ok. But if I put it on zoom lens that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars? Looks like crap.