Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Great composition, shocking PF

This is an excellent blog I follow and the photos are stunning. David tends to use some pedestrian lenses even though he could afford far better, so straight away it seems he's no pixel peeper, but this photo takes the biscuit and hurt my pixel peeping eyes (check out the left most window) Beautiiful comp though.

Digital ProTalk: “Summer Silhouettes"

06-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dunno, the pic doesn't do anything special for me. Nice comp, but soft and PF/CA and he says, "I do like that you barely see mom and dad sharing the moment too as they exchange smiles with each other."... which makes me wonder about his monitor calibration or his eyesight, since I can see mom & dad quite readily.

Also: if he were shooting with a K-5, he could have both the shadows and the highlights.
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Shot with a Tamron lens - no surprises there and the PF on the contrast breaks is somewhat to be expected with that lens.
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Shot with a Tamron lens - no surprises there and the PF on the contrast breaks is somewhat to be expected with that lens.
A 28-300 no less, can't expect miracles from any superzoom.

Also, 1/800th second, ISO 2500? I don't get that at all, for people standing relatively still like that. Why not bring it down to 1/100th and use a much lower ISO?

It probably would have turned out better had he intentionally underexposed it more, so the windows weren't so blown, and bring up the shadows in post.

06-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the settings smack of laziness to me. His statement, "p.s. The high ISO setting is probably a left over setting from the available light images I made earlier at the hotel. It’s a non-issue because of the low noise characteristics of the camera so I wasn’t worried a bit about noise. " I mean, c'mon... he could have quickly taken the snap, adjusted settings, and then snapped again. With the ISO so high, not only do you introduce noise, you lose a couple stops of DR.
06-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The purple fringing adds a bit of colour to an otherwise drab image.
06-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
not impressed...

06-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not impressed at all - overexposed as can be in some parts, subtle vignetting(Not the kind you want for "Artsy" looks either), Focal point appears to be the lighted tree above "Mom and Dad"

And those pink dresses look horrendous imho.

Overall - 7/10, better than most, but def. not "Professional" quality(Not like I should talk, I take a lot of bum photos, I just don't upload for the world to see)

Edit: Also, the guy should be hanged for using a hyperzoom on a 5DMkIII

Re-Edit: Can't tell if it's flare, but there's some blueish distortion above "Mom and Dad"

Last edited by Eulogy; 06-12-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarity/Ranting at bad pic from "Pro"
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think the shot is nice. I think it really is more about the moment than the aesthetics.
As he said it was a spontaneous shot.

Technically its pretty average, blown highlight, PF, Seems to be a low quality file, but there is something I like about it's "moment".

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Can't tell if it's flare, but there's some blueish distortion above "Mom and Dad"
Looks to be and emergency exit light in the roof and is casting a light on the wall too.
06-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I dont see how he could not have blown the highlights in that shot without using HDR (ugh, ugly HDR)! The photo is not about whats outside the window but whats inside. Perfect exposure for the scene.
06-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
I think the shot is nice. I think it really is more about the moment than the aesthetics.
As he said it was a spontaneous shot.

Technically its pretty average, blown highlight, PF, Seems to be a low quality file, but there is something I like about it's "moment".
What I do in the spontaneous moments, when I'm afraid to change settings, is a take a pic with whatever settings the camera is currently, then I adjust the camera to what I want and shoot again, if possible. There doesn't seem to be any fast movement in this scene, so I think he shoudl have been able to do just that.

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I dont see how he could not have blown the highlights in that shot without using HDR (ugh, ugly HDR)! The photo is not about whats outside the window but whats inside. Perfect exposure for the scene.
He could have exposed for the windows, shot ISO 100 and brought up the shadows. I've done this sort of thing successfully on my K-x. I wind up with the bright outside being overexposed a bit (but not blown out), and good detail with an acceptable amount of noise in the shadows.
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
He could have exposed for the windows, shot ISO 100 and brought up the shadows.
The result doesnt look natural to me, plus there is a possibility he burnt out any detail in the windows as much as he could to avoid it distracting from the strong clean lines of the large windows.
06-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Key question: Were the clients happy? If so, nothing else matters.
06-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The result doesnt look natural to me, plus there is a possibility he burnt out any detail in the windows as much as he could to avoid it distracting from the strong clean lines of the large windows.
Well, it has to be done carefully, otherwise you get something akin to that horrid over-HDR'd look.
06-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Key question: Were the clients happy? If so, nothing else matters.
Then why post it? Because to him, something else matters (at least a little) besides the client's happiness with the photo.

It's not bad, it's not a non-keeper, it's just something that surprises to have a pro of his standing show off.