Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I'm an engineer, therefore very socially awkward and inept, so I don't have the courage to ask them straight out. But what I do is use live view. It looks a lot less "suspicious". If I put my eye to the viewfinder, people think I am a pro (which is about as far away from the truth as possible). That's why if street shooting were my thing, I would ditch the DSLR and go for something smaller and something with a good swiveling rear-lcd
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Good idea cali!
We have occasional threads here on street-shooting techniques. Cali's method is one of the basic tactics discussed: Don't be conspicuous. Think: you're not at home. Nobody knows you. You can be whatever you want. Reinvent yourself. Be a dumb goofy tourist with bad hair and a little camera. If you actually ARE a dumb goof, all the better!

I've mentioned reports filed from Guatemala by journo Jeni Xardin (BoingBoing, WIRED, NPR). Ain't no way she gonna pass as a local. But she carried just a little tourist P&S and and stared around like a tourist got stills and videos that would be impossible by someone looking 'serious' or even competent.

06-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I'm an engineer, therefore very socially awkward and inept, so I don't have the courage to ask them straight out. But what I do is use live view. It looks a lot less "suspicious". If I put my eye to the viewfinder, people think I am a pro (which is about as far away from the truth as possible). That's why if street shooting were my thing, I would ditch the DSLR and go for something smaller and something with a good swiveling rear-lcd
I'm shy by nature, too. Asking for photos is a skill, like any other. Take small risks and gradually stretch. My nervousness never totally goes away, Over time I've gotten comfortable enough to take most photos.

One other point. I find that people notice my picture taking less when I use a small camera, now a Sony NEX 5n compared to my K-5. Little cameras with little lenses are less intimidating than bigger ones.
06-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
The resident master (and when I say master I mean like freak'n Yoda Master) at "Getting The Perfect Street Portrait By Asking For It" is @outsider - I have seen no other like him; his work speaks for itself (look at the threads prefixed "Streets"):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6404811

Edit: IMHO if there was a niche market for this sort of style it would be modeled after him.
link does not seems to be work, can you repost.
06-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
link does not seems to be work, can you repost.
The search links must expire - try this one:

Search Results - PentaxForums.com

His threads prefixed [Streets] and [People]...

06-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some times asking can actually cause just as big of a negative reaction as not asking. If its in public, I rarely ask. I recommend looking through one of the longest and largest running threads started by one of our resident experts Javier (jgredline).

Here it is at the beginning:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981...eet-style.html