Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What photo ops have you missed or regretted not shooting?

I usually see a shot while driving and have to pass it by wishing I could capture it.

Last month the local high school had their graduation at the sports arena. A young plumper gal grad was strolling down the street in her gown and cap flowing wide open showing her hot pants and super high heels. Would have made a nice tone mapped photo.

06-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iggy with Ron Asheton a few months before Ron died. Just wasn't a shooting scenario, though I had a camera with me. Regretted it later, but enjoyed the time.
06-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

4 Black Bear in a field of Lupins - it was 1 momma and 3 year-old cubs... still kicking myself. I had my camera in the morning in that location, about two hours later when bringing a group through (driving to a canopy tour start point) they walked across the road in front of us and into the field.
06-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
A guy riding his horse bareback in the middle of Baku, jury-rigged bridle, talking on his cellphone.

06-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An old stag on the front porch of the local hilltop castle at daybreak on a foggy, misty morning in the park. I was on a morning jog and didn't have a camera.

Regards,
--Anders.
06-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A little Ixil Mayan girl running along the roadside in Guatemala. I powered-up my P&S just a moment too late.

And a shot I *could* get if I picked just the right time: Location, the Oakland Hills overlooking San Francisco Bay. The time, full-moonset. The weather, a layer of fog on the Bay, filling in the bayfront flatlands like cream. The angle, the full moon setting between the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge. I didn't have a camera when I saw that. Damn.
06-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Dolphin that came out of the water right at the bow of a yacht heading south. I had camera but was focused on a Great Blue Heron in front of me, the Dolpin was to the side of me.

06-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the most vivid memories of my childhood. It was late summer and I was fishing and duck hunting with my father and brother in Northern Labrador, just east of Hopedale. One evening as the sun was setting the sky went a solid peach colour and the underside of the clouds a bright pink/magenta. Out of nowhere a thick, crisp, opaque rainbow came straight down out of the clouds across the bay. The colour was so saturated, it was like God was doing colour by numbers with permanent marker.

My camera (a little instamatic thing) was a 5 minute walk away, but I didn't dare go get it, I just stood there and watched.
06-14-2012, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I usually see a shot while driving and have to pass it by wishing I could capture it.

Last month the local high school had their graduation at the sports arena. A young plumper gal grad was strolling down the street in her gown and cap flowing wide open showing her hot pants and super high heels. Would have made a nice tone mapped photo.

Shooting a high school girl in hot pants and high heels is just the sort of shot you might regret if you *do* get it...
06-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Shooting a high school girl in hot pants and high heels is just the sort of shot you might regret if you *do* get it...
have you seen the thread he posted???/ that would be a tame shot by comparison :
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
have you seen the thread he posted???/ that would be a tame shot by comparison :
I'm speaking more to the underage aspect of it...
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm speaking more to the underage aspect of it...
She was a Grad so likely 18, but speaking as someone who shoots a lot of crowds at concerts crtainly some of the girls have been underage (particularly at the all ages shows or outdoor shows. They are in the shot sometimes can't be avoided (and in the heat of summer sometimes they are dressed in far less than his example)
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Missed many many many roadside landscapes... From the Great Flatness of Nebraska (i.e. hte Platte River valley along I-80), to the scenic vistas along and approaching the Front Range, to the tight, intimate (relatively speaking) views in the winding little highways climbing up thru the canyons to hte High Country... I've seen so many shots and missed 'em because I couldn't get off the road (traffic, no parking, cliff, etc...)

And, of course, I have had some (many) shots with bad settings (forgot to change ISO from 800, that sort of thing) too.

Jim
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Missed many many many roadside landscapes... From the Great Flatness of Nebraska (i.e. hte Platte River valley along I-80), to the scenic vistas along and approaching the Front Range, to the tight, intimate (relatively speaking) views in the winding little highways climbing up thru the canyons to hte High Country... I've seen so many shots and missed 'em because I couldn't get off the road (traffic, no parking, cliff, etc...)

And, of course, I have had some (many) shots with bad settings (forgot to change ISO from 800, that sort of thing) too.

Jim

I can identify with the missed landscapes, i've missed tons of them in Europe because I am the damn driver all the time. (My wife really really needs to get a license)
the worst is on the big highways where i have top pay attention and my wife will go "oh look at that - while i'm doing 180 km per hour
06-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #15

I was in a small valley in either New Mexico or Arizona, I forget which (it has been a few years), and a train was coming up the valley. I had a camera and thought to pull over, but I had a car behind me and I hesitated.

I still regret not at least attempting that shot. It was beautiful.