Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: HDR...luv it or hate it?
I hate all aspects of HDR...from surreal to low key 912.16%
Low key HDR is OK...I hate all the rest. 3952.70%
I luv all aspects of HDR...from surreal to low key 2635.14%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

HDR...luv it or hate it?

Surreal, grundge, paintlerly, tone mapped or low key...where do you fit in with HDR?

06-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My vote is in.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/18242...otos-here.html
06-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
My vote is in.

That is good.

It is sad to see all the viewers of a poll that don't bother to stand up and be counted.
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I hate bad HDR photos & like a good HDR photos. Simple as that.

06-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Neither love/hate, nor in/tolerate, nor just-a-little. HDR is only another tool. Tools can be used with any levels of expertise and prudence and taste -- and for good or evil. An image I wouldn't want hanging on my parlor wall might be just fine on a book cover or billboard or birthday card. Are some HDR images I hate? Certainly! But I blame the tool-user, not the tool.
06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Neither love/hate, nor in/tolerate, nor just-a-little. HDR is only another tool. Tools can be used with any levels of expertise and prudence and taste -- and for good or evil. An image I wouldn't want hanging on my parlor wall might be just fine on a book cover or billboard or birthday card. Are some HDR images I hate? Certainly! But I blame the tool-user, not the tool.
Well, it is like that with everything pretty much. But your reasons should not apply to this. Here is the thread that spawned this poll...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=20686.0
06-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I hate bad HDR photos & like a good HDR photos. Simple as that.
Exactly what I think.
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

i'm a hater. HDR usually gives me way too much to look at. I like photographs that use exposure properly to emphasize something. HDR just seems to kinda "shout" at me.

06-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

HDR is like flash photography: it is best when it is noticed least. The heavy-handed HDR seen on this site and PPG has all the aesthetic appeal of paint by numbers!
06-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

HDR is a tool that is unfortunately misused a lot of the time. Ordinary photographs that suck end up being merely boring, but bad HDR photos tend to damage the viewer's retinas. In general, if the viewer can tell it's HDR, then it's bad HDR.
06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
i'm a hater. HDR usually gives me way too much to look at. I like photographs that use exposure properly to emphasize something. HDR just seems to kinda "shout" at me.
That is does.
06-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The reason the 'I like good HDR and hate bad HDR' is not a good answer is this.

We can say I like good food and hate bad food.

I like good BW photos and hate bad BW photos.

I like good color photos and hate bad color photos.

That type of thinking is a given.

Now, singling out 'what is' good or bad may be a personal thing. But with true haters, they never seem to find anyhting good to like.

So maybe a more useful question is how often do you find a HDR photo you DO like?
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dfinjc66 Quote
The heavy-handed HDR seen on this site and PPG has all the aesthetic appeal of paint by numbers!
That's a pretty broad brush.

The logic often apply seems to be, I see some bad HDR images so I hate HDR, by extension I've seem plenty of bad images, many my own, does this mean I must hate cameras. (not implying this is your logic dfinjc66, just a general observation)

Last edited by riff; 06-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Well, it is like that with everything pretty much. But your reasons should not apply to this. Here is the thread that spawned this poll...

Do you hate HDR too?
Whatta thread! TL;DR but my view remains. Some garish HDR image may be just right for a coffee cup or T-shirt or somewhere else other than a gallery print -- and a galleryful of such may be just right. (I can think of tourist-zone galleries that thrive on HDR images.) Velvis has its place too. I'm not so sure about Kewpie dolls...

I love PaintShopPro, even my ancient edition. (I have the latest release but haven't yet installed it.) I love it's CLARIFY tool, which is a sort of mini-HDR, pumping-up brightness and contrast and shadow detail, artificially expanding the dynamic range. Sometime I use it moderately, and sometimes immoderately. It all depends on the effect I want.

And sometimes I'll process the same source image several ways, with different levels of saturation and clarification and obfuscation -- and then mount those together in arrays. It's good enough for Warhol, it's good enough for me, eh?
06-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #15

I like it but as all tecniques that go out of the ordinary I think it should be used with the tea-spoon as a special effect, nowdays everybody seems to have started shooting HDR to death and I don't like this trend, when you start seeing something everywhere it loses it's value, it just becomes boring.