Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #1

Gah! I thought the K10D was going to be my first SLR! But i dunno!

Weeks ive been studying under 1000 Digi SLRs, and I thought the Pentax k10D was going to be it.

But for 200.00 bucks less i can get the
Olympus Evolt e510 with two lenses.

Now being my first SLR and having knowledge of basic manual Camera functions. Should i spend the extra 200 for the Pentax?

01-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Both will make excellent photos.
You should try both hands on and see how you like the ergonomics and menu logic, etc.
The K10D has a good viewfinder for an APS-C body, the Oly finders are smaller and darker.
01-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pw-pix Quote
Both will make excellent photos.
You should try both hands on and see how you like the ergonomics and menu logic, etc.
The K10D has a good viewfinder for an APS-C body, the Oly finders are smaller and darker.
Don't forget the smaller sensor size on the Olympus. It results in a bit more noise. I don't believe the O is weather proof, either. Check out the prices on lenses for the 4/3 line of cameras and compare them to the Pentax prices. LBA results in a lot more money in the lenses than in the camera body that uses them, and even high Pentax prices are favourable.
01-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Also, the Olympus displays the information on the right hand side of the viewfinder and so it is harder to see those info with glasses.

01-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I was facing the same choices several months ago when I was looking for a consumer-level DSLR. I am not a fan-boy of any one particular brand as I think that unfairly limits people from keeping an open mind when comparing similarly featured cameras. I was originally looking at the Canon EOS 350 and 400 (Rebel Xt and XTi), but after having handled those two, was not impressed with the way they felt i my hands, not the kit lenses. I was also considering the D40 Nikon, but knew I would outgrow that body in a matter of months, if not less. When I was looking at other bodies , specifically the Oly e-510 and the Pentax K10d, I could see there was definitely more "bang for the buck" than of the "beginner level" DSLRs I was considering before, and a potential to have a body/lens set-up that I felt I would not outgrow so quickly as my skills progressed. What was attracting me to the Oly E-510 was the 2 lens kit, which I thought was a good deal and the reviews gave the Zuiko lenses that come with it an decent review, also Live View seemed a plus because I was used to that with my former cameras. What was turning me off was the four-thirds format the camera uses as well as what I was hearing about noise levels and after checking out not only countless review sites, but samples on Flickr and other photo hosting sites, I felt maybe that was not the right camera for me, or maybe spending the extra little bit of money for something in a mid-level or better category was something to consider. Along came my decision to buy the K10D/18-55 kit. I was looking at it because of the quality build of the camera, the features this camera has that others do not (that I saw as useful, not gimmicky), the picture quality I was witnessing, the reviews were all (or for the vast most part) very positive, and when I went to hold it in my hands, just felt right....not like a toy.
Now, I know I have a camera that I will not outgrow any time soon and feel that the learning curve of purchasing a more advanced camera than the first 2-3 I was considering is a challenge that keeps me interesting in pushing myself to take the best photographs I can as well as learning about PHOTOGRAPHY, not just snapping pictures.

Either is a fine camera, but I think you'll find the K10D to be something you'll not regret purchasing. Good luck n your decision!

Jas
01-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #6

If you wanna save $200 you can buy K100D Super instead of K10D. I would never buy Olympus because of smaller sensor.
01-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one observation already made here, that a smaller sensor, at any ISO, (for the same technology will be noisier.

Also you are not comparing 10mp exactly as the 4/3 system gives you some pixles where the ASP-C doesn't and visa versa, therefore it really (to print the same format, shoudl only be considered as about 8mP.

Also don't get fooled by small physical size, My *istD is about the size of the E510, and I find it difficult ot use hand held with long tele's because it is too small, I like the bigger beefier K10D.

The biggest issue I see will be with respect to what you want to shoot.

For telephoto shots the crop factor works in your favor, but for wide angle shots it works against youo.

If, for example you were to have a K10D and 10-20mm sigma, to get the same field of view on a 4/3 system you would need a 7-14mm. Don't get me wrong, they do make one, but at $1500. For that you can get the K10 plus the sigma 10-20, and have cash left over, and with the 4/3 system, that is just the lens, you still have to buy the camera.

Don't get fooled by the cost of the camera, you only get one of those, you will get many lenses (hopefully)

01-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Sounds like me a couple months ago. I went and got hands on on the OLY, PENTAX, And was also considering the Nikon D80. After considering all the options( sensor size, price etc.) the Pentax k10 just felt right and I bought it and found it easy to learn, and I'm having a ball with it, my wife is even learning to use it.
01-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #9

To put this all in layman's terms: smaller sensors aren't as good in low light. That's why point & shoot digicams almost always use a flash in anything other than full sunlight. Oly bodies, with a 4/3 half size sensor, are a bit small--perfectly OK outside, but not the best indoors. There isn't very much fast glass available, either.

That's what broke the deal for me, anyway.
01-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
There isn't very much fast glass available, either.
Actually there is a 50-200 f2.8-3.5 (remember the 2x crop factor makes this quite tele)
for $850 - not so bad...

A handy 35-100 f2.0 for only $2,200

A interesting 90-250 f2.8 for only $5,300

And a largish 300 f2.8 for only $5,900.

Of course you can get some Sigmas and others, too, but nothing as fast for the size.
01-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #11

woops, my fingers went a bit infront of my thoughts--I meant to say fast primes.

Of which there aren't really any
01-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

I'd wait for K200D. Sits nicely between K10D and Oly 510...
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

A handy 35-100 f2.0 for only $2,200

A interesting 90-250 f2.8 for only $5,300

And a largish 300 f2.8 for only $5,900.

Of course you can get some Sigmas and others, too, but nothing as fast for the size.
LOL for only.
01-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
I was under a similar situation about a year ago...

I had previously owned a few 35mm pentax bodies, and several mostly inexpensive lenses to go with them (about $750 worth, with half that being in ONE lens). When the time came to start looking at a DLSR, I had the choice of abandoning Pentax and going with a competitor (I looked most closely at the N**** persuasion), or sticking it out with Pentax hoping for a body that would fit my needs. After hearing of the K10D and its features, I figured I would wait until I could put hands on that body and compare it with the C/N competitors.

The difference was for me astounding. The C/N cameras were smaller than I cared for, and felt cheaply made. The K10D fit well in my hands and with the grip was perfect for me. The in-body IS, and weather sealing made this camera stick out WELL BEYOND the competition at the same price points! After having the camera for about 6 months now, I have started to rediscover my love for photography again!

With Pentax announcing FIVE new lenses recently, and receiving high accomidations for their Limited Series lenses, Pentax seems to be a serious player in the DSLR market. I feel I made the right choice in sticking with a Pentax.

The one thing that always got me about the Olympus is this - While they do have some affordable basic lenses, the faster lenses, wide angles, primes (which arent many in number) or special application lenses (fisheye and such...) cost MUCH MORE than a Pentax lens. Not to mention going with Pentax means you also have Tamron/Sigma/Tokina as lens manufacturers as well.
04-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #15

i have the K10D and love it. it is my first dSLR. and i've found it to be easy to figure out, and there are lots of people out there who own the K10D and are willing to help. i did look at the Olympus and was tempted to buy it but the K10D had 1) a great feel to it (little be bigger of a body to offset the lens, but not too heavy) 2) it has i don't know how many seals it in to protect it from getting dirty etc... 3) it as the anti-shake it in that i find sooooo helpful 4) the anti-shake is built into the camera so the lens are less expensive. good luck with the search, hope this helps.