Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Video: How NOT to take care of your lenses and bodies

If you want to cringe at really poor care of some expensive lenses and cameras (not Pentax though) then watch this video.

This guy doesn't use rear lens caps or body caps, and I think he even skips the front caps on a lens or two. He demonstrates how to be completely negligent and unaware of dust, and even allow the opportunity to let the rear element get scratched.

I'm curious what measures others take to care for their gear.

I'm not really a worry wort with my equipment but I always have my lenses capped, front and back, when not shooting and usually keep them in their poaches, and I always have either a lens mounted or body cap sealing the camera. Keeping the lenses in their poaches while out shooting can slow down swaps but they make me feel more comfortable. My AF540 stays in its poach too. I also carry everything in one of my two padded camera bags. Additionally, I have a couple of silica gel packs in my the bags to avoid any potential moisture issues; it's pretty humid where I am. What I'm not very careful with is the rear LCD. I don't have a screen protector on it but probably should since I've already scratched it up a little. For some reason that doesn't matter too much to me though. I also don't use UV filters on my lenses like many recommend for protection.

So, how careful or reckless are you with your cameras and lenses?

06-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on the situation, lens caps can be inconvenient, and the time it take to remove the caps can cost you the shot. Some pros don't use lens caps.

I always use a hood, though.

Here's a typical situation for me: I'm mostly an outdoors shooter. I'll often have 4 lenses with me, the Sigma 170-500, Quantary 70-300, Pentax 18-55 and Pentax DA 15. The Sigma & Quantaray lenses will be sans caps, and the 2 Pentaxes will have their caps on. Why? The Sigma & Quantaray are most often used for wildlife shots, where time & speed is of the essence, no time to fiddle with caps. The 2 shorter lenses are for "composed" shots, so I can work at a leisurely pace.
06-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use my hoods for protection too. I really like them when I'm navigating through a crowd and know my lens will likely be bumping into people. The built in hoods of the DA 15 and FA 77 are nice but don't offer near as much protection as on the DA* zooms I have.

I think a scuffed element would be a bigger inconvenience than the extra second it takes to snap off a cap. If it works for you though, or if you find it to be necessary then... The only cap that ever gives me problems is the screw on one for the DA 15; I really ought to get a pinch cap for it. What I believe is a problem with leaving the rear caps off is that dust will collect and then when you mount the lens that dust can make its way into the body.
06-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should have pointed out that each lens is kept in it's own case on my belt - well, except for the Sigma, which gets slung over my back. If I find a likely spot where I'll spend a little while, I drop a small towel on the ground and lay out my lenses.

I think I'm in the minority WRT the DA 15's screw-on cap. I like it. I enjoy the sense of anticipation as I unscrew the cap. It's like foreplay.

06-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm *a lot* more careful than that. I might want to sell my stuff on one day....
06-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All my lenses are kept in their own pouches and have purchased cases for lenses that I bought that didn't have any.

Both caps on all lenses at all times. When I change lenses, the rear cap from the one I am going to mount goes right on the lens I just took off.

Camera always put away with a lens on it. Which brings up a related subject.....a pet peeve I guess.....when I see folks with a camera body for sale, and all the pics of the body are without a lens or body cap. If that is the way the body is presented when selling it (wide open mirror box cavity) I wonder how it is treated day to day.......
06-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If a lens is even remotely important to me I keep it with front and back caps in a padded camera storage bag when I am not using it. In the original case if I have it. Or in my 3 Tamrac zip cases if I shoot with it a lot. Most of my AF lenses are in those with lens caps in place. That being said I get lenses sometimes that come lacking front and back caps and I'm not made out of money. I honestly can't afford to buy more lens caps the way they are priced. Even the generic caps can be pricey. I use whatever I've got and of course I'm always happy to see any extra lens caps that I come across otherwise. I love it when I find a few floating around in a bag of gear at Goodwill, for instance. I clean them up, dip them in some bleach for a few minutes, rinse, dry, and gleefully use them on any lens that will fit no matter what it says on the lens cap. No unknown lens cap goes on any lens I own until it's been well cleaned though.

Ditto any new lens. It gets a through examination and a cleaning before it gets stored anywhere near any of the others. No dust or grunge is allowed around here. My lenses are clean, clean, always. That's why I have lens cleaner and a blower. I don't abuse a lens while I'm cleaning. I'm very careful but nothing is allowed to accumulate once I have a lens. I can't help it if I get a lens and there is a bit of dust already in it. But I don't allow any more to accumulate if I can help it. A lens that leaves my hands usually is in better condition when it goes than when I got it actually.

So far I have usually been able to scrounge back caps but I have had to settle for using an AV filter as a lens cap on 3 or 4 of my cheaper C/Y lenses and one of my lenses is just in the black hard case it came in with a filter on it but with the lens back up. That case is one of the old style ones, snaps shut, and the lens itself is the equivalent of a coke bottle so I don't feel too guilty about using it's caps on a better lens. The better lenses have priority, obviously. I don't just leave my lenses lying around though to get dusty or worse. I clean my lenses regularly too. I'm totally anal about not touching the glass, about putting the caps back on, about making sure that I don't put a lens or a lens cap on anything that might get dust inside my lenses. Dust and fur I live with. But my lenses don't, not if I can help it.

If a lens has no caps in my house it's at least wrapped in something that won't shed while it's stored and it's in a bag away from dust. I do have lenses that came on cameras that I just don't have caps for. Most of the ones I don't have caps on are in the sale box, bagged though. I'm not going to hand someone a lens if I can help it though without a quick clean and some wrapping to keep it safe until they can find some. I can't afford to give up my caps but I still wouldn't want to be handed a filthy or broken lens, would you? Anything with fungus goes out almost as fast as it comes into my house. Otherwise I use all my lenses fairly regularly to make sure they get aired out and get some sun. I have desiccant pouches in the bags. I do everything I can to keep my lenses nice.

I am realistic about it. I live in a tropical climate. It's humid and hot and there's only so much you can do. I've not had (knock on imaginary wood) a problem so far with any of my major lenses but if I did I suppose I'd send them away to be cleaned if I did. I'm not about to lose a really good lens like a Tak if I can help it, but otherwise if they're easily replaceable I'm not that worried. It's probably a good thing that a lot of my lenses are $5-20 cheapies though. Losing a Ricoh lens or a DSB wouldn't make me cry too hard. Actually my AF lenses are pretty easily replaceable if it came down to it. I don't have $300 AF lenses. It's the Taks I worry a lot about particularly the 105mm. But those like I said I'd probably have cleaned before I'd toss one.

I clean my bodies too fairly regularly. I don't let dust accumulate on any of my gear, not just my lenses. First thing I do when a new camera hits the collection usually I give it a quick clean then do the seals if necessary. If a camera is sitting grungy in a box around here it's because it's broken. If it's not it's totally clean and it's got a clean bag to go in. But yeah, I am totally into lens (and body) maintenance and making sure caps are on. Sometimes if I am changing lenses a lot I'll leave a lens face down in the padded bag and just close the top of the bag no caps so it's convenient. But that's in a padded bag that I vacuum out every once in a while and only for a few minutes while I am shooting heavily. The moment I have time, the caps go back on. I would never just leave a lens out parked on whatever surface with no cap. The very thought gives me the shivers, lol.

For the record I'm not a total neat freak otherwise. Even my dolls get some dust on them from time to time and I never seem to be able to catch up with the fur clumps around here. We have animals. There's dust and sand all over. I live in a tin can house that is not sealed well to the elements. A certain amount of crud is just inevitable. I'm anal about keeping it off the dishes and out of my food, off the camera gear but otherwise? I clean as much as I can stomach and that's it. I'm no Martha Stewart type and I generally like to spend more time doing more important thing than swinging a broom.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-22-2012 at 12:54 AM.
06-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
This guy doesn't use rear lens caps or body caps, and I think he even skips the front caps on a lens or two. He demonstrates how to be completely negligent and unaware of dust, and even allow the opportunity to let the rear element get scratched.
Indeed the soft velvet of the bag will scratch the rear elements for sure

I don't use the front caps either but im indeed a little bit more concerned with the rear caps so i use them when i got the time....
But basicly the less you've in your bag the less risk there is for your lenses to get damage, so leaving the caps off is actually saver.

btw i don't use UV filters either and i've been using the lenses like this for over 2 year now without a scratch on them.
06-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I should have pointed out that each lens is kept in it's own case on my belt - well, except for the Sigma, which gets slung over my back. If I find a likely spot where I'll spend a little while, I drop a small towel on the ground and lay out my lenses.
Still probably not a practice I would follow but with that clarification it does sound more responsible.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
All my lenses are kept in their own pouches and have purchased cases for lenses that I bought that didn't have any. Both caps on all lenses at all times. When I change lenses, the rear cap from the one I am going to mount goes right on the lens I just took off. Camera always put away with a lens on it
That describes exactly how I go about things.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm totally anal about not touching the glass, about putting the caps back on, about making sure that I don't put a lens or a lens cap on anything that might get dust inside my lenses.
I try not to be too anal, by some standards I'm sure I am, but I do feel best when I take good care of my glass. Before going out for a shooting session I usually give a once over to the lenses I'll be using that day just to make sure they are smudge and dust free and then I take a lens pen to any of them that need it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Indeed the soft velvet of the bag will scratch the rear elements for sure I don't use the front caps either but im indeed a little bit more concerned with the rear caps so i use them when i got the time.... But basicly the less you've in your bag the less risk there is for your lenses to get damage, so leaving the caps off is actually saver.
I don't really follow the logic there. You're right that it won't be the velvet doing the scratching and that an uncluttered bag might be better, but leaving the caps off certainly won't be safer, especially when it comes to dust. My bags have a few hard surfaces that can't be removed, like zippers and rigid seams, that I definitely don't want meeting face to face with either the front or rear elements.
06-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I guess there is a big difference if you are doing commercial photography like this guy is doing and doing hes probably got loads of insurance on his gear and is more than willing to sacrifice it to get a shot so long as the memory card survives. If you look at this guy's site he is doing top level events (Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Beyonce Concerts) and VIPs (white house/congress/UN). Reselling gear probably isn't an issue, they probably buy L lenses by the case and they are just another business expense like a plane ticket for them.
06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

I think I'm in the minority WRT the DA 15's screw-on cap. I like it. I enjoy the sense of anticipation as I unscrew the cap. It's like foreplay.
Same with the 40, though much smaller :-(
06-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I guess there is a big difference if you are doing commercial photography like this guy is doing and doing hes probably got loads of insurance on his gear and is more than willing to sacrifice it to get a shot so long as the memory card survives. If you look at this guy's site he is doing top level events (Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Beyonce Concerts) and VIPs (white house/congress/UN). Reselling gear probably isn't an issue, they probably buy L lenses by the case and they are just another business expense like a plane ticket for them.
You're probably right. Sigh, the luxury of wanton abandon.
06-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I don't really follow the logic there. You're right that it won't be the velvet doing the scratching and that an uncluttered bag might be better, but leaving the caps off certainly won't be safer, especially when it comes to dust. My bags have a few hard surfaces that can't be removed, like zippers and rigid seams, that I definitely don't want meeting face to face with either the front or rear elements.
With his bag the zippers are on the edge like with most bags and the zippers in my bags are in different compartment so there is nothing that can scratch it also the lens coatings are very very hard. Also there is someone here that has a scratch that's caused by a lenscap that came loos within a bag....

Might this give you more confident.
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Anvh That's some video! It seems to make more of a a case for lenses being shatter resistant than scratch resistant though; it was clearly badly scratched by the end. If my lenses were only $125 like the Canon 50mm, then I might be less cautious but I've invested a small fortune in my glass collection. My FA31 fell off a shelf once and survived it. I was quite rattled but the lens was perfectly fine. I thank pixies for coming to the FA31's rescue. My expensive prescription lenses were supposed to be scratch resistant but lo and behold, one of them got a big fat scratch on it after I accidentally scrapped it against the corner of a shelf when I'd turned my head too quickly and was closer than I realized. I think shelves are out to get me!

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Also there is someone here that has a scratch that's caused by a lenscap that came loos within a bag....
Bummer. I guess anything is possible. That's part of the reason I try not to develop a severe case of "protection obsession" but I must admit that I'm generally more comfortable when I exercise a little bit of extra precaution.
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I wear spectacles and they use the same protective coatings and my glasses have seen the floor dozens of times without any damage.

I certainly use my rear caps though but i trust my coatings on the front to keep the lens from harm and i keep any harm away from it, so less is better i think and it makes switching faster.

This the one about the lenscap.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/189195-anythin...ched-lens.html