Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

At my former job we had a Nikon lens blown off a high speed video camera. Actually it was the lens mount that was taken out. Moral is do not put your cameras too close to explosions

I did not use lens caps on my 70-200 at that job as the lens hood was always on. With my own lenses the caps are almost always on them even though both my MF and LF systems have dividers to keep them from striking or rubbing anything else.The lenses in the case in the video seemed to have some protecting, they were not rolling around loose in a camera bag bang each other.

06-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen guys with big canon glass putting several of their high end glass on the side of the road (ground) without lens caps on and would swap the lenses as they shoot. Cars pass by and you can imagine the dust and dirt can can go in it. I guess for professional, they earn enough that to be able to get 'the shot' is more important than babied the glass.

I also learn from a friend who use canon camera who told me they can send in the camera and have it clean for cheap, like $25. I don't know about glass cleaning, but I guess 'pro' can afford to do that. =)

I babied my lenses and cameras, I am not a pro. ^^
Lee
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Moral is do not put your cameras too close to explosions

I'm fairly casual about my gear but:
1. Never leave a body open (w/o a lens or body cap.)
2. Unmounted lenses always have rear caps on.
3. When unmounted, most lenses have front caps on most of the time .
4. Most lenses are carried & used with hoods mounted.

I rarely use individual lens cases but do try to keep lenses in one bag or another or in my lens cabinet (but some do escape to the mantel or various pieces of furniture from time to time.)

And oh yes:
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Moral is do not put your cameras too close to explosions
I make it a point to avoid explosions (with or without gear ;~)
06-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep a little bag of silica gel in each compartment of my bag.

06-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I keep a little bag of silica gel in each compartment of my bag.
I use a couple in each bag but should get more as the ones I have are old and I doubt they are adequate for the size bags I have. It's the primes and strobes I have that need the moisture protection; I'm sure the K-5 and DA*s are just fine on their own.
06-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Eh...lenses are tools. You can't worry about your hammer getting scuffed if you ever want to drive a nail. Use reasonable precaution, but don't be afraid of every little dust speck that might come along.
06-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I

And oh yes:

I make it a point to avoid explosions (with or without gear ;~)
Not much good if you job is to photograph and or video tape explosions.

06-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Eh...lenses are tools. You can't worry about your hammer getting scuffed if you ever want to drive a nail. Use reasonable precaution, but don't be afraid of every little dust speck that might come along.
If I had a $500 hammer, I'd take pretty good care of it.
07-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #24

^well said!

Compared to those guys, I am far far from a pro. I baby all my camera gear regardless. caps on body and lenses at all times. Unused lenses in individual pouches. I am that way with nearly all my things tho (watch collection, sneakers, camera gear...). Somewhat anal retentive. Why risk damage if a little care goes a long way? Not worth the hassle of returning/selling/repairing/buying. And as mentioned, resale value is much higher if you keep the items in good shape while in possession.

These are Pros tho, as stated, and have multiple layer of insurance and maintenance coverage and probably swap gear regularly. IMHO just seems like a waste to me..
07-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Caring and using are two differnd things.
07-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Caring and using are two differnd things.
I'd use it carefully.
07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i'd use it carefully.
^ + 1
07-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Banned

when I’m working for the newspaper here, I work very similar to this guy. I carry two bodies, neither ever has a cap. I carry my lenses with rear cap off for quick changes and never have a front cap. what you see here is the difference between a professional photographer and amateurs who do this as a hobby. the comment about the ‘might want to resale later’ pretty much sums it all up.
07-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Might this give you more confident.
302 Found
So... That video clearly shows what is to be expected. The hammer chipped the glass. And the soft plastic pen doesn't.

The guy in the op's video is a real douche. Velvet doesn't scratch glass true... But is he assuming that sand, which can scratch off course, cannot enter his bag? Because I'm pretty sure that sand and wind can be found anywhere in the world.

And what pro sells photo full of dust spots?

Last edited by Clavius; 07-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
07-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
when I’m working for the newspaper here, I work very similar to this guy. I carry two bodies, neither ever has a cap. I carry my lenses with rear cap off for quick changes and never have a front cap. what you see here is the difference between a professional photographer and amateurs who do this as a hobby. the comment about the ‘might want to resale later’ pretty much sums it all up.
You are correct. Pros definitely work differently than us hobbist and for right reasons. He is showing his camera gear off though. There is no benefit in having gear uncapped in this video while he isn't actually shooting.