Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
when I’m working for the newspaper here, I work very similar to this guy. I carry two bodies, neither ever has a cap. I carry my lenses with rear cap off for quick changes and never have a front cap. what you see here is the difference between a professional photographer and amateurs who do this as a hobby. the comment about the ‘might want to resale later’ pretty much sums it all up.
Alright, I can't relate to being a pro at all. I only have a handful of paid work experiences and those were just portraits for private clients, nothing like working for a firm or newspaper in high paced situations. But what I don't get is why would a pro not be concerned with having big dust bunnies moving into their camera and making the sensor their home? Isn't all that expensive equipment for better IQ? Isn't a dusty sensor going to be a downer for that expensive IQ? Sure, a camera cleaning can take care of the dusty sensor problem later on but that won't help with the shooting being done that day. Isn't something that interferes with IQ more important than the inconvenience, if you can even call it that, of keeping a cap on the body. As far as not using lens caps goes, I can't imagine that the 1 or 2 seconds that removing them will take is going to save many a shot. Don't all pros have two bodies and f/2.8 zooms that save them the hassle of having to swap lenses in under 2 seconds anyway? I just can't shake the notion that a little prevention goes a long way.

07-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So... That video clearly shows what is to be expected. The hammer chipped the glass. And the soft plastic pen doesn't.

The guy in the op's video is a real douche. Velvet doesn't scratch glass true... But is he assuming that sand, which can scratch off course, cannot enter his bag? Because I'm pretty sure that sand and wind can be found anywhere in the world.

And what pro sells photo full of dust spots?
Proof to me that it does
Yeah sand can but only if you rub it over the glass so don't to that.
The video only shows that it can take quite a beating and that it isn't as fragile like how some make it appear.
Sure it's a lens is expensive but it's designed to be used so they have surely taken cleaning into account making sure they can withstand that and most of the forces and battering it might encounter during normal use.

Lenses are not designed to be fragile.

No idea where you go with your dust spots? that's on the sensor....
07-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
You are correct. Pros definitely work differently than us hobbist and for right reasons. He is showing his camera gear off though. There is no benefit in having gear uncapped in this video while he isn't actually shooting.
But he is showing what he uses during shooting and so arrange his bag like he is going to shoot.

Why put caps on only to remove them later?
07-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #34
Banned

You are correct. Pros definitely work differently than us hobbist and for right reasons. He is showing his camera gear off though. There is no benefit in having gear uncapped in this video while he isn't actually shooting.
maybe so, but theres no con either is there? he’s showing how he actually carries and uses his gear. personally I think its necessary to show exactly how he carries and uses his gear if this video was to be a proper, insightful demonstration. I can tell you this, that he’s not in the minority when it comes to photographers who work in this and similar fields. a lot of people work this way. the gear isn’t a personal hobbyists investment, where they worry about resale value later on. these are TOOLS, nothing more.

right now, for my personal photography I shoot mostly film, I move at a much slower pace and I have one camera and two lenses that cover pretty much all my personal needs. a Pentax Spotmatic, Zeiss ZS 50mm 1.4 and Zeiss ZS 35mm 2. I’m sure you cn figure the cost of those two lenses alone, plus what I sank into CLA’ing and a general restoration of the body. I don’t baby it one bit. never use lens caps, the 50 has scratches even a couple dings. (the lens hood has seen better days) the 35 was a recent acquire, but the 50 has traveled all over the philippines and through some pretty crazy places, where people would cringe to take a fully weather sealed lens. its a tool, for getting photos and thats what I do. I don’t buy a single piece of equipment, with the thought of resale value. (Not counting my phase of classic equipment collecting that I’m still ridding myself of) I buy what I need to get the photos I want and then use what I buy to the fullest extent, to get those photos. thats how pros like his guy work. and his photos speak for themselves.

you may not personally like the way he does things, but you must surely understand that what he does and what you do are very different, and that needs to be stressed here. you may not like it because it doesn’t fit your personal way of thinking right now, but I bet if you were transplanted into his world for a day, you’d might walk away with a different attitude toward how he carries and uses his equipment.

Last edited by séamuis; 07-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.
07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Why would you as photographing hobbyist actually worry about the resale value of a lens?
Do some of you actually buy a lens knowing to sell it over a couple of years?

I bought all my lenses with the intention to take photos with them and nothing more, so it would be a shame i missed a photo because i was a second to late because i couldn't find the lens cap of my lens in the bag
07-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Alright, I can't relate to being a pro at all. I only have a handful of paid work experiences and those were just portraits for private clients, nothing like working for a firm or newspaper in high paced situations. But what I don't get is why would a pro not be concerned with having big dust bunnies moving into their camera and making the sensor their home? Isn't all that expensive equipment for better IQ? Isn't a dusty sensor going to be a downer for that expensive IQ? Sure, a camera cleaning can take care of the dusty sensor problem later on but that won't help with the shooting being done that day. Isn't something that interferes with IQ more important than the inconvenience, if you can even call it that, of keeping a cap on the body. As far as not using lens caps goes, I can't imagine that the 1 or 2 seconds that removing them will take is going to save many a shot. Don't all pros have two bodies and f/2.8 zooms that save them the hassle of having to swap lenses in under 2 seconds anyway? I just can't shake the notion that a little prevention goes a long way.
I’m not going to argue against your views. and certainly a little prevention does go a long way. and yes, people in this line of work carry bodies and lens setups to facilitate as few changes as possible when working. but the truth is, every second does count, and a lot of people care more about getting every possible shot than making sure no dust or anything gets inside the camera or lens. one or two seconds can be a lifetime in that line of work. what if you fumble or drop caps when trying to change? what if you drop the lens trying too put on or remove caps? you can actually change lenses pretty fast without even removing it all the way from the bag if both the body and lens has no caps to deal with. thus pretty much eliminating the big risk of contamination and removing the time lost and possible issues of fumbling with caps in a high paced stressful situations. ill take the risk of possible dust or derby getting inside, than take the risk of losing a shot I’m getting paid to get. period. and clearly, he feels the same way.
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #37

maybe so, but theres no con either is there? *snip*
Well the CON would be as TomTextuera said>
*snip* But what I don't get is why would a pro not be concerned with having big dust bunnies moving into their camera and making the sensor their home? Isn't all that expensive equipment for better IQ? Isn't a dusty sensor going to be a downer for that expensive IQ? Sure, a camera cleaning can take care of the dusty sensor problem later on but that won't help with the shooting being done that day. Isn't something that interferes with IQ more important than the inconvenience, if you can even call it that, of keeping a cap on the body. *snip*
..Dust. Dust in sensor is a reality for all photographers. A blanket statement that "I usually keep the caps off while actually shooting for ease of changing lenses" would have sufficed. Idk tho.. I digress. ::in over my head:: ::exiting convo::

07-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
Banned

Well the CON would be as TomTextuera said>

..Dust. Dust in sensor is a reality for all photographers. A blanket statement that "I usually keep the caps off while actually shooting for ease of changing lenses" would have sufficed. Idk tho.. I digress. ::in over my head:: ::exiting convo::
no, see you assume that by doing things this way that he absolutely will have a camera full of dust and debris, but the fact is, you cannot prove that this is even big issue. you don’t know how he even changes lenses and bodies. you don’t know what, if any precautions he takes in the moment of changing to prevent such issues if he feels the need to. I work as an active photojournalist and documentary photographer, I work pretty much as he does when it comes to the way I carry my equipment. I have only ever had to clean the inside of my two camera bodies once in the last three years. if it was a big issue like you assume it is, surely he would be having so many problems with this that he would change his methods. see you assume here, you don’t know. so you can’t prove such to be a con, you just think its bad.
07-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yeah sand can but only if you rub it over the glass so don't to that.
So the velvet from the bag doesn't touch the glass then? If there's sand on the velvet or the lens, then you rub the sand over the lens when you shove the lenses in and out.

No idea where you go with your dust spots? that's on the sensor....
Didn't you see the OP's video. The guy in the video didn't even bother to put body-caps on the bodies.
07-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why would you as photographing hobbyist actually worry about the resale value of a lens?
Is this a serious question? Well, here's an answer: Because lenses can be quite expensive. If I were in a position to say that money is no object, then maybe I'd feel differently.

Do some of you actually buy a lens knowing to sell it over a couple of years?
I might be inclined to sell any one of my lenses at any time for any number of reasons. I might sell a lens because I don't use if often enough and it could fund a different lens that I'd use more. I might sell a lens because it doesn't perform the way I'd hoped. I might sell a lens, or all my lenses, because I've switched systems or formats. I might sell a lens, or all my lenses, simply because I need the money.

I bought all my lenses with the intention to take photos with them and nothing more, so it would be a shame i missed a photo because i was a second to late because i couldn't find the lens cap of my lens in the bag
I'm having a hard time imagining how not finding a lens cap would prevent a shot so I'm not sure what your point is.

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-09-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling correction
07-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if you were transplanted into his world for a day, you’d might walk away with a different attitude toward how he carries and uses his equipment.
That might be true, however, I'd like to think that I'd still be a little more cautious. I'm going to quote jaywes here as he makes a good point about the liability and expense not really falling on the individual photographer, a luxury I don't have:
These are Pros tho, as stated, and have multiple layer of insurance and maintenance coverage and probably swap gear regularly. IMHO just seems like a waste to me..
I agree with jaywes that it seems like a waste to not exercise a little more care. But then again, I can't relate because I'm not in the same position.

you can actually change lenses pretty fast without even removing it all the way from the bag if both the body and lens has no caps to deal with. thus pretty much eliminating the big risk of contamination and removing the time lost and possible issues of fumbling with caps in a high paced stressful situations.
It sounds like you have a system that works for you. If I truly were in a situation where no second could be spared, I'd probably be less careful and skip on the caps for the duration of that situation. When it's called for, it makes sense. As an all-the-time practice, I don't see any good reason to not use body and lens caps. I can take risks with my gear when I need to. As an example, just yesterday I was wanting to get a silhouette of a distant family walking on the beach but had to jog to get into a position where the sun would be behind them. While running I had to swap from my wide angle to medium telephoto lens. I was juggling my camera, two loose lenses, front and rear caps for both lenses, all while jogging along a rocky beach. It wasn't ideal but it all worked out. I really wanted that picture so was willing to take the risk. The pic is still on the card in the camera but I'll put it up after I process it.
07-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #42
Banned

I really wanted that picture so was willing to take the risk
exactly.
07-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So the velvet from the bag doesn't touch the glass then? If there's sand on the velvet or the lens, then you rub the sand over the lens when you shove the lenses in and out.

Didn't you see the OP's video. The guy in the video didn't even bother to put body-caps on the bodies.
No it won't, look at your lenses and you notice that almost all beside the very wide angle and fisheye lenses have the glass not at the front of the lens. most of an edge or a filter thread.

Nope missed that one, was thought you still were talking about the lenses.
07-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Is this a serious question? Well, here's an answer: Because lenses can be quite expensive. If I were in a position to say that money is no object, then maybe I'd fee differently.

I might be inclined to sell any one of my lenses at any time for any number of reasons. I might sell a lens because I don't use if often enough and it could fund a different lens that I'd use more. I might sell a lens because it doesn't perform the way I'd hoped. I might sell a lens, or all my lenses, because I've switched systems or formats. I might sell a lens, or all my lenses, simply because I need the money.

I'm having a hard time imagining how not finding a lens cap would prevent a shot so I'm not sure what your point is.
That's not an answer to that question i was looking for and it was actually a connect question.
All of those reasons sound to me like you didn't research well enough. So basically you need to worry about the resale value because you're not certain about the lenses you buy? Or did i misunderstood that?

Quite easy, time yourself when switching lenses, one time by leaving all caps off the lenses, and one time by putting the caps on and off the lenses you switch. For extra challenge do this while standing inside a crowd during a concert
Really the extra time it takes for putting the caps on and off and finding them take quite some time also you equipment is quite exposed during all that time. One thing i want to protect is the mirror housing so switching quickly helps with that.

ps. just read you've been juggling while running so you know how the caps can get in the way. I do use rear cap though but i switch those from one lens to another since they are universal but the front caps often aren't and since they are coated anyway i don't bother.
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All of those reasons sound to me like you didn't research well enough. So basically you need to worry about the resale value because you're not certain about the lenses you buy? Or did i misunderstood that?
All the research in the world can't make up for handling a lens in person and taking it out shooting yourself. Additionally, shooting styles can change as can priorities. As I said already, I might need to resale any of my photographic equipment simply because I need the money for something more important and pressing. Whether I'm going to be the one using something I own for the entire life of the product or whether I'll need to sell it eventually, it's never a bad idea to keep things in good shape. This goes for any of my material possessions: car, TV, stereo, microwave, or whatever.

time yourself when switching lenses, one time by leaving all caps off the lenses, and one time by putting the caps on and off the lenses you switch. For extra challenge do this while standing inside a crowd during a concert
If and when split second lens swaps are ever of critical importance, I'll consider leaving the rear caps off. I just don't generally shoot under those circumstances so I don't ever feel inconvenienced by ensuring my lenses have their front and rear caps protecting them. Even if I were to have a shoot where I ended up leaving the caps off to shave seconds off of lens swaps as soon as the frenzied shoot was over I'd replace the caps for the well being of the lenses. That's me though; to each their own.