Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Really Mad

I was at my nephew's wedding -,taking "unofficial photos & video". Well the official wedding photographer told me my flash & a gary fong diffuser where interfering with her shots. Oh by the way most of the pictures & ceremony where outside.

just a general question is this possible?

Thanks

06-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Highly unlikely unless she was using strobes with optical slaves engaged, in which case any camera's flash going off would fire her strobes. But then I can't imagine any serious event photographer not using radio triggers for the strobes.
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There's a big possibility that your flash will indeed interfere with her shots, and knowing that she's being payed and the pressure on her head or she's just plain anal about everything, she will indeed talk to you about it. Based on my experience (I covered a graduation ceremony) Other people's flash will indeed interfere if I'm shooting natural light, sometimes having an overexposed shot. or me just capturing the other photogs flash on my shot. Didn't really bothered me though.
06-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your flash will possibly change the lighting if it coincides with her metered values.
Your presence will distract the subjects so they don't know which way to look which ruins their shots.
They were within their rights to tell you to desist, hopefully it was done nicely.

06-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've accidentally been "that guy" at a wedding before. Back when I was using a P&S, my flash was triggering the official photog's umbrella flashes. She didn't say anything, but I eventually realized what I was doing and canned my own flash. As a courtesy, you might go sans flash while the official photog is doing her work. Then again, if yours wasn't triggering her flash, then she's just being annoying.
06-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
the "official photographer" was using a Nikon - do not know what model or model of Flash.

She was also not using a diffuser at all.
06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:27 AM.
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I was doing photography for a make up artist at a wedding, but when the 'real' photographer showed up, I bagged my gear. Mainly because the bride had chosen him and it's her day.
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by murviper Quote
She was also not using a diffuser at all.
Are you suggesting she treated you unfairly because she had Fong Envy?

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
There are more crap "official" wedding camera-users than you can count.
And for every crap wdding photographer out there there are several annoying wedding guests with cameras getting in the way.

As you said though, politely asking for some details on how exactly the OP was interfering would have been a good idea (assuming there was time to).

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I was doing photography for a make up artist at a wedding, but when the 'real' photographer showed up, I bagged my gear. Mainly because the bride had chosen him and it's her day.
So you let the photographer specifically chosen by the Bride and Groom do their job? Crazy!
07-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #10

Can you give a bit more context Murviper? Were you assigned to take "unofficial" photos? If that's the case then I'd say its the responsibility of the person organizing the photography to make sure both the unofficial and official photographers know what the situation is and complement each other, not interfere with each other. Did she talk to anyone else who was taking pictures and also ask them to stop?

I get the impression that because the "official" photographer was not using a diffuser and you were, you're implying she was in fact not a "professional." I know very little about flash, but you mention that most of the photos were outdoors -- for outdoor fill-in flash do you need a diffuser?

Consider that she is being paid to do a job -- hence the wedding becomes her workplace. Part of her job is to direct the situation, get people lined up, turned around the right way, etc., etc. Put yourself in her situation and then maybe you might have responded similarly.

Consider if you had approached her beforehand and introduced yourself, as an enthusiastic amateur photographer, asked about her gear, etc. Who doesn't like to talk about their gear? Then a question that might have come up quite naturally is for you say that you'll be taking "unofficial" photos and you hope that won't be problem for her/how can you not get in her way?

With the wedding over, have you seen the "official" photos? How do they look?
07-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Banned

Some people just break under pressure; which seems to be the case for the wedding photographer claiming that they were a professional.

As for equipment interference; sure it's possible. But noting the earlier responces on this posting, and all... That a true professional would have easily got around it with minimal skill and beyond entry level equipment. Most pros don't use optical slaves; and most any quality camera and/or flash could have easily compensated even in full auto. If the photographer is that bad to really have to back up the claim; then they really need another line of work. Also noting; most true professionals bracket all of the time just for insurance and also to be sure that someone doesn't blink.

Also most true photographers use a combinaton of the cameras meter (hopefully set to spot and catered a bit to the bride) along with a handheld meter, etc... Whether indoors or outdoors a good photographer would also know exactly how to set up the metrics of the shot even without ANY meter, and also would have done prep work in advance for this.

to me this so called wedding pro does in fact sound like someone broke under pressure. That, and perhaps justifiably worried about any type of competition - given the wedding "pros" lack of photo skills and also "client service skills"; which include dealing with other people btw. Sounds like the claim of the wedding pro is not all that accurate; perhaps they are more of a part time pro that makes their real living at something else.
07-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

40 years ago a tog stopped me at a wedding. Said his slaves were going off.
07-29-2012, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #13

I realize the OP has probably moved on by now... But not me apparently. When I'm not shooting bugs and flowers, its typically local community events (rallies, community dinners and the like). I imagine it is somewhat similar to wedding photography. Point being, I have been doing some reading up on wedding photography to improve how I shoot the events I am a part of and came across some interesting reads in terms of wedding photography. I thought I would share since it's relevant to the original post. It's potentially a lot o reading but I found it all quite engrossing and useful and thought others might too:

Uncle Bob vs. A Professional Wedding Photographer | Wedding Photography | Best Wedding Photographer Directory | ISPWP

Uncle Bob Flash | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Help from Uncle Bob :) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Uncle Bob | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2011/09/08/be-the-wedding-guest-not-the-photographer/#more-9103

DWF

The unplugged wedding: couples tell guests to put down their devices | Offbeat Bride

Please READ Before Posting! - FM Forums
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That last one from FM forums should be linked as a sticky.
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Aside from any technical issues that your shooting may or may not have induced, the fact that you were walking around the wedding in proximity to the photographer on duty, with an SLR & impressive looking flash setup, you would have been a major distraction.

That wedding photographer is being paid money, real money from the bride and groom, to get photographs of the wedding party and the attendees - and a critical part of those photographs is the subject people making eye contact with the photographer. People at the wedding don't know who they're supposed to look at; when they see a camera, they look at it.

If you are there snapping shots, especially with flash, while the hired photographer is shooting, there's a 50/50 chance that those people are going to be looking at YOU rather than him/her and that means their shot is blown. If you're not getting paid to shoot at that wedding/event, stay out of the way of the photographer that is. And show some respect by asking permission to get some personal shots. If you're polite, there's a good chance that photographer will oblige your indulgence, and maybe even assist you.