Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Post sample photos from soft focus filters / how to make permanent soft focus filter.

Anyone have some sample photos taken with the various commercial soft focus filters on the market?

Any tips on making your own permanent soft focus filters? Not the grease smeared type. But modding a UV filter with some sort of permanent method to give the soft effect?

Also what pattern to use for applying soft focus media to the filter. Complete coverage or random staggered, pattern?

Thanks

07-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can also use stockings you know
07-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You can also use stockings you know

Yeah, I want some permanent stuff though. (If possible)
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're a bit careful it will last a long time.
I've never used a soft filter because softening a image digitally is not the hardest thing to do but im curious how the result might differ.

07-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty certain - but not absolutely so - that the first image below is taken with a "black scarf" filter and the second without.

and

You can see (at least, IMO) a very slight difference in the skin texture - somewhat reduced in the first image. A heavier mesh makes more diffusion. As I recall, I tried several different colors with little or no visible effect, but it's been quite a while.

The black scarf filter is essentially a black mesh, like a black nylon stocking. The people at Garage Glamour popularized a particular black nylon scarf from Walmart.

You can make a permanent filter by "clamping" the mesh between two step-up adapters, like 49 to 52 and 52 to 55 mm. That's how I did it.

As for marking a UV filter, I believe you'll find that the pattern could be either random or regular, with only minor differences. The key would be making very small marks, sufficiently closely spaced to ensure slight diffusion of the image.

BTW, there is a difference between using a filter and digitally softening. A filter imparts a somewhat more random softening. I suppose a skilled Gimp user can vary the amount of softening selectively, but even that isn't quite the same.

Good luck

Last edited by jford; 07-04-2012 at 12:32 PM.
07-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I remember there is an article in our forum about a tip of creative soft glow pic just by breathe air to your lens front glass, then qucik take a pic before it gone
the amount of air you breathe out determine the what degree of soft glow you want
07-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi!
I don't know if you referred to the soft filter for portrait photography, but if yes, I can give you a DIY solution (very poor, but gives its results): Put a nylon stocking on the lens! I red this few times ago on the internet and I want to try it! I'll post the results, if you don't try before

Gabriel