Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Advice needed about rain shields

Am going to Niagara Falls in Oct. and would like some advice about rain shields. I know there is a lot of wetnesss on the Maid of the Mist, the behind the falls tour and other areas. My main kit will be my K5, D-BG4 grip, and DA 18-135wr. Also will be using the Kx with Sigma 10-20. Amoringello gave me some excellent advice re the K5. Says it should be ok most of the time, but some places would be bad. Since I live in the Phoenix area, I am not used to torrential amounts of water falling from the sky ( or even light amounts of rain ).

So i want to get protection for both bodies. I have the Optech rain sleeves, but not sure they are up to Niagara falls. I am also looking at the Vortex Media Storm jackets, and the Fotosharp rain shields.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these?

I know the Kata system and the Thinktank Hydrophoiba stuff is the best, but WAY to expensive for the amount of time I would be needing them plus to bulky and heavy to pack.

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Dennis

07-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Niagra isn't that bad. It might be bad if its windy, but even then a WR camera should survive it. Its only a mist, not even rain. Might be a different story if you go on the boat tour at the bottom of Niagra, you get wetter there (they give you plastic raincoats). But when I was there I saw lots of people using cheap P&S cameras and just sticking them under their raincoat right after the shot or even putting them in plastic bags like you would sandwiches.
Thing is, Niagra isn't really as photogenic as you might think, because it is full of tourists. The best shots of it might be by helicopter or using a tele lens from a hotel skyscraper. Sorry for not being able to help you with your gear, but I only have experience with the falls, not the equipment you mention.
07-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Niagra isn't that bad. It might be bad if its windy, but even then a WR camera should survive it.
Yep, did the maid in the mist boat thing, they give you raincoats but really it wasn't that bad. Of course I'm from Oregon so it was just like a normal day here. The k-5 will be fine as is. For the k-x take a plastic bag and be prepared to cover up if it gets windy. Seriously, they are not going to put tourists under a downpour. People taking pictures with p&s cameras, cell phones and ipad thingies all standing out with no protection.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The best shots of it might be by helicopter or using a tele lens from a hotel skyscraper.
If you are staying try to get a room with a view, barring that there are some restaurants high up that have views. Those will be the best shots you get unless you like to have pictures with signs for t-shirt shops and McDonalds in them.
07-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
You folks must have visited when the wind was blowing the opposite direction. Everything outside my rain poncho was soaked on my last visit in 2010. I used my Olympus weather resistant P&S on the boat, and carefully dried everything after disembarking. I think your K-5 with a WR lens will likewise be okay, but I'm a belt and suspender type of guy. For piece of mind, I would buy one of the cheap SLR rain hoods and mount the lens hood and a UV filter. You can also quickly remove them once you get further back and shoot without a water smeared filter.

07-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, I was on the Canadian side of the falls, if that makes a difference. But the wind can be a huge factor in where the mist goes.
07-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We are staying at the Marriott in a falls view room. I am thinklng I will get rain shields for both cameras. I an a firm beleiver in Flannigan's law.