Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you show your portfolio out in the field?

Electronic? Prints?

What is your technique for showing your portfolio?

07-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
iPad (or similar) is great for this. I usually have mine with me in any context where I exect to want to be showing photos
07-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
iPad (or similar) is great for this. I usually have mine with me in any context where I exect to want to be showing photos
To the OP:
I usually just store everything on a HDD and pick just a few pics and transfer them to my smart phone, for what it's worth since I actually do not have a real portfolio.

Mark:

(sorry to the OP for stealing a bit of this thread) ---

Is the iPad or similar type of "tablet" the way to go for portfolio purposes?
Do you find the Apple brand a bit awkward when it comes to "synchronizing" the pics?

My wife has a iPod Touch and if the iPad is anything similar in actual operations, I find it a bit annoying. What do you think?

JP
07-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Last time i tried to get into a display area - in Feb this year, i brought in an actual 16x24 canvas print and he put me on the Schedule. He didn't want me to leave with the print, so found a space in the wine shop to display it. It sold a few weeks later. A lucky sequence for me.

07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
I have more versions of portfolios than I can count.

But also noting... i have somewhat generic versions of portfolios and also highly catered ones.

Sure I'll still carry around a printed version which can still be switched out in minutes. I'll usually limit the content to about twenty or so very large printed pics; out of about one hundred to select from.

I also have a rather large array of usb drives with pics on them; all content and password locked, but... Being that I'm also a medium format photographer; one would normally prefer not to place the average unedited raw file on them due to sizes of the files. But still I do keep at least one of those files on there just to show off what a medium format image is capable of - just for the numbers and to show off the zoom in image quality.

I also keep/maintain an iPad3, a Panasonic Toughad (my fav) and occassionally like to lug around an overly heavy Origin laptop.
07-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

ipad (original model) works for me.

I find it quite straightforward to sync photos and slideshows between it and my Mac.
07-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Is the iPad or similar type of "tablet" the way to go for portfolio purposes?
Do you find the Apple brand a bit awkward when it comes to "synchronizing" the pics?

My wife has a iPod Touch and if the iPad is anything similar in actual operations, I find it a bit annoying. What do you think?
I would certainly have agreed prior to iOS 5, but it really couldn't be simpler now. You do a one time set up of the folder to sync, then all you have to do from then on is copy photos to that folder and they magically appear in your Photo Stream on the iPad a few minutes later, and from there you can optionally save to Camera Roll or another album if you don't like the "rolling" nature of Photo Stream. Of course, you give up a certain amount of control over how all this is managed, but I haven't run into a situation where this bothers me. I have also used the myZenfolio app to sync specific galleries from that service, and there are also other ways to do syncs that meet other specific needs (like direct syncing via iTunes, also other apps that have their own management systems), so there are plenty of alternatives.
07-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I would certainly have agreed prior to iOS 5, but it really couldn't be simpler now. You do a one time set up of the folder to sync, then all you have to do from then on is copy photos to that folder and they magically appear in your Photo Stream on the iPad a few minutes later, and from there you can optionally save to Camera Roll or another album if you don't like the "rolling" nature of Photo Stream. Of course, you give up a certain amount of control over how all this is managed, but I haven't run into a situation where this bothers me. I have also used the myZenfolio app to sync specific galleries from that service, and there are also other ways to do syncs that meet other specific needs (like direct syncing via iTunes, also other apps that have their own management systems), so there are plenty of alternatives.
Thanks for the heads-up, Mark.

Well, perhaps it is because I have little knowledge of the Apple system of synch, but each time I try to upload more photos to my wife's iPod Touch (via the synch job), I end up loosing all of the previous pics already of the "pod" !!
Or maybe I am using an older version of the software.

Seems like you have it all organized though.

Do you find that 64GB plenty enough for all your needs in storage for the portfolio?

Cheers.

JP

07-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Laptop on a DVD. I make albums, do a Power Point presentation type thing. I want to do that on a tablet eventually but not until I have a Windows one to take with. My tablet is too puny to run Photoshop or MS Office. Till I have one that can I'm sticking with the lappie. MS Surface tablet is looking awfully good to me. I've been waiting a long time for that. I want a nice big one.
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
is iphone screen too small?
07-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, perhaps it is because I have little knowledge of the Apple system of synch, but each time I try to upload more photos to my wife's iPod Touch (via the synch job), I end up loosing all of the previous pics already of the "pod" !!
Are you perhaps deleting them from your computer after the sync? You can't do that. Sync doesn't mean copy; it means synchronize, Deletions on either side are duplicated on the other. Not my favorite aspect of iOS, but it seems to be how it is. Anyhow, again, I don't use that feature for photos; just the Photo Stream. i figure that its automatic rollover feature will keep my portfolio fresh for me, and I just save the ones I want to keep more permanently to another album.

QuoteQuote:
Do you find that 64GB plenty enough for all your needs in storage for the portfolio?
??? I have only a 32GB model, but sheesh, a photo at iPad resolution is only what, maybe 100K - 500K in size? That's room for thousands of images per GB. I guess the "new iPad" might need larger file, but still, we're talking about room for many many thousands of images even with a 16GB model. Surely no one needs anywhere near that much for a portfolio.

As for the iPhone (or iPod Touch) screen - obviously, we can see the image, but I would have to say that if you are trying for a professional presentation, that isn't likely to cut it. Better than nothing, of course, but not i pressive, and the point of a portfolio is to impress. A 7 inch tablet might be an OK compromise.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.