Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

How to take best portrait with 55.4???

Mostly I took portrait for my friends as model. Few month later, I'm going to buy prime lens which is DA*55.4

I have 16-50 fort standard pics. but I really want to take it by prime lens.

So I bought 50.7 for practice. I think I need to know how to take best portrait by photo angle and sexy(...)

Would you??

07-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Confused as to what you're asking here, is it for advice on how to take better portraits, or whether to purchase the DA* 55 1.4?

If you're looking for portrait advice, I'd say just go with what you think looks best, and look around at other people's work. Also, don't be afraid to get up close and personal, most people don't realize that upper chest and head is what you want in a "Portrait" most of the time.

In regards to the lens, I'd say get the DA* if you're going to start making money with photography, but if not, the 1.7 will do you just fine.(Unless you'd like a prime that is weather resistant)

Last edited by Eulogy; 07-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
07-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm kinda confuse but I hope I can help out.

So let me see, you want to buy a 600 dollar lens so you can take sexy portraits of your friends?

You also got yourself a 50 1.7 to practice with. Is it a manual lens? or with Auto focus?

And now you're asking how would I do it (Take photos), or will I even spend that kind of money on a lens?

Well. I've been thinking of getting the DA*55 1.4 because I love how it renders, It's also sharp wide open (If you get a good copy) and once you stop down a little it won't look like ninja stars because of its aperture. so yes I will definitely but a 55 1.4 if I have the money.

Now, how to take good, sexy portraits? all I can say is, "It's a learning experience" Browse the web and look-up some portraits, find your favorite style and try to copy it. Post it here on the "photo-critique" section and ask how you can better yourself.

I've learned a lot thru harsh critique and good advise from people who loves photography, and I'm very thankful. Like where to focus, how to crop, background, exposure, angles, shadows, lighting and so many more. But the key is to have fun. You have to satisfy yourself, know what you want to achieve and aim for it.

there are also some stuff on youtube. Google is your friend.

Good luck
07-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be a good lens, though you can take portraits with pretty much any lens, it just really depends on what you want to achieve.
For sexy portraits I would suggest getting a makeup artist and good lighting, and hopefully with a decent background and props. For the lighting you will probably need a flash, but again, which type will depend on what you want.

07-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lighting is so much more important when it comes to portrait then the lens.