Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Critics for humane society project?

Hey Folks,

I've started up my first major 'for profit' project! The best part is that the profits are going to a good cause. Following my love of animals and photography, I've volunteered for the local humane society to produce a series of black and white images depicting the animals, and shelter's achievements over the last year. I have some promising results from two sessions already, and I will be excited to share the results with you all at the end of March with they go 'public'. In the end, the series of 6-12 images will be printed in large format, framed and displayed/sold at a fancy gala and silent auction.

The gala is March 28th, but I'm looking for some people who might be interested in critiquing the work as I post it, and before it goes public. I have a private gallery with a password that I would be happy to supply to some of those interested in helping.

I do need to do the work on my own, so I won't be asking for "help" other than some solid advice.

Drop me a note in this thread and I'll PM the gallery link and password!

I also urge anyone else who loves photographing animals to approach your local humane society. Beautiful pictures can help pets get adopted more readily, and if you're local society has things like silent auctions, it could be a real income generator. It gives you real shooting experience, builds your portfolio, and helps the community. And who doesn't love playing with puppies and kittens Everybody wins!!

Thanks all!
Damian

01-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck, and way to go for contributing to a need. I am glad to see it is for a local HS. I do not have the skills to offer any critique, but would love to see the shots when you can show them.
01-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks lots, lost. I could still use your help in picking images from the sets if you are interested. No photo skills necessary :P

It doesn't look like the forum has taken much interest in saving puppies and kittens with everyone whining about what they didn't get in the K20D specs....:P
01-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Let me know if you need help on this still? I don't mind, although sometimes my time is limited. I'll do my best!

If you like, please go to my website so you can get an idea of what kinds of photography I shoot. I don't yet have everything up, so keep that in mind. I haven't submitted in a while, but I also have a number of images at the Pentax Photo Gallery.

Cheers,
Marc

01-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Marc,

I'd love some help Basically I have some sets posted in my smugmug gallery. I need to pick one shot from each numbered set. So pick one from #1, one from #2, etc. The titles give an idea of what the photo is supposed to be showing. If you would be so kind as to add your name as a comment under the photo of your chosing for each set.

So basically I'd like your vote on which photo, and optionally PM me if there is anything you can think of that would improve this image....b&w processing, cropping, etc etc.

I will PM you the details. Much appreciated!

Damian

**Love the gallery, btw!!
01-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to take a look if you will PM me the details.
01-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
pm sent.
01-26-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Roy is definately an expert when it comes to saving, treating and caring for animals.

Question: Why did you or the HS choose to use B/W????

02-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I missed your post JC! We are going with B/W to differentiate the photos from a lot of publically submitted (colour) P&S shots which will be playing on a slideshow there. We're really going for a more dramatic, fine-art for the enlargements/prints!