Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Multiple exposure techniques

Hi Friends,

I saw a picture below that I like. He mentioned that he used multiply exposure. Anyone have experience with multiply exposure on same subject? What's the purpose on same subject? I think it can give use faster shutter speed to fight the low light. Can this technique to potentially increase the HDR as well? For doing this I have to use tripod I think.

California Redwoods Butano State Park - John Harrison Fine Art Nature and Landscape Photography

Thanks,
Benhai

07-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
I saw a picture below that I like. He mentioned that he used multiply exposure.
Multiple exposures blended together -> HDR. You can blend as many photos together as you want to make one HDR photo, the most common is 3, one shot at [proper exposure (0)], one shot [underexposed by 2 ev steps (-2)] and one shot [overexposed by 2 ev steps (+2)]. There is a ton of information around the net about HDR photography, a quick google search will yield thousands of results. Here are some good examples of HDR photography -> 50 Incredible Examples of HDR Photography | Inspiration...
07-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I thought it is purely multiply exposure. Take pictures 1/n of regular exposure in n times. I might understand it wrong. I would do an experiment to check it out.
07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
I thought it is purely multiply exposure. Take pictures 1/n of regular exposure in n times. I might understand it wrong. I would do an experiment to check it out.
It depends on what multiple exposure technique you will use. If you are blending multiple separate images outside the camera, there are a couple techniques, HDR is one such technique. if you are looking to do multiple exposures on a single piece of film, then yes, typically you would do 1/n of regular exposure for n exposures.

07-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think that in this instance HDR was the intent. A tripod is pretty much required.

OT, but interestingly, with Pentax DSLRs that feature multiple exposure on a single frame, you can use this feature to extend the effective shutter speed. The most popular application of this is for "milky" flowing water or waterfalls. The normal technique is to use small apertures and ND filters on overcast days to give very long exposure times, but the same effect can be obtained with the Multiple Exposure with exposure compensation feature using relatively normal settings and no filters on brighter days. A tripod is again a requirement. With exposure compensation activated, you effectively get n exposures (up to nine) without having to reduce the exposure settings to 1/n, so you effectively get n times the shutter speed without effecting the final exposure. This allows you to get the same effect with shallow DOF (if you want) without the expense or inconvenience of ND filters on bright days. Pretty cool!

Scott
07-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I wanted slow smooth water flows in bright daylight but did not have 12 stops of ND filters, I put on what I had and set Multiple Exposure to all 9 exposures. The end result is pretty darned close to a single very long exposure. You can get some really nice results.

Lots of creative reasons for MultiExposure, but if its the same scene, I can only think of averaging of the image for something like; smoothing water, remove moving subjects (tourists in front of a statue?), and maybe some form of pseudo HDR.
07-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!