Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, a few tips!

1. If you cannot used flash... You are going to have to shoot with your lenses wide open. That is the point of going in there with a 2.8 and don't worry, that is a standard practice for situations like this. Don't over think it, just accept and move on.

2. 2.8 is a big difference over 4, but that is okay that you dont have the 16-50. I shot weddings without a 16-50. The trick? A tripod stationed in the back of the church. Immediately following processional, go to the back and put your camera on the tripod (a quick release plate is handy here) and shoot your wide angle shots. If you are quick and quiet about it, then move your camera to the right and get a few over the crowd shots and to the left for the same thing. Finally, drop the tripod low and get a few wide shots with the camera pointed slightly up from the center of the aisle. When you do PP make a black and white and color of each shot and you have 8 different wide from the back to show your client!

3. Be constantly adjusting ISO while shooting. 1600 should be fine for the 2.8 and tripod shots. Bump up to 3200 and plan on some NR in PP in some shots. Occasionally (and I do mean occasionally!) go up to 6400 and make those shots black and white.

4. If you can use flash, use it... But you don't have to on every shot. Some of the tips above should get you out of having to use flash, but if you are allowed then use it sometimes. Be sure to drop your ISO on flash shots and stop down a bit. I can't see the ceiling in your shots, but if you can bounce then do so. Wedding phogs are big on flash modifiers (diffusers, plastic Tupperware like containers that are overpriced, mini soft boxes, big bounce cards/panels, etc.) so they don't have direct flash. If you don't have one you would be amazed at how effective a cut piece of paper and gaffers tape can be. Go to the strobist's website for some good homemade flash modifiers. Use the variety of flash/no flash/black and white to add variety of what you present to the client as options.

5. You are so good to be shooting in dng! This should give you a minimum of 2 more stops range in post. And yes, there is going to be post in a low light shoot like this, but that is okay. Just think of it as an opportunity to clean up some images before presenting to the clients and the b+w really expands what you show to a client. Sometimes when a image is unusable in color, b+w brings it back into the mix because you can adjust exposure and shadow more in b+w than in color. And don't be afraid to edit out pictures. Just rename all of your images and the couple will be none the wiser that you decided to edit some out.

6. Don't be afraid to stage a few afterwards (referring to the kiss here) and give your couple some instruction. I always tell my couple about the speed of walking down the aisle. Tell them to take their time so that all of their guests can see you. Of course, this is so they aren't a blurry mess! Tell them to also make it a good kiss. Remind then that they don't need to make out up there, but that everyone loves a solid kiss that seals the deal. If they give you a peck during the ceremony, then just set them and the officiant up at the front (this is following the ceremony) and shoot it tight, so you don't notice the crowd is missing. I always just tell my pecking clients this is because we want to be sure we got a good shot, but I reorder and name my pics afterwards and most never connect the dots that it was the shot we took right after the ceremony not during it.

7. And this is the last one...relax. A few nerves are good; they keep you on your toes. A lot of nerves will get in the way. You don't need a masterpiece every time you press the shutter. You said they want to print about 20 shots and you want to give 200... That is only 10% that will be printed. You are going to take more than 200 too, so you are really looking for less than 10% of your shots to be printed. You can do that! You have prepared and you even when to the rehearsal, you will be fine! You gotta have the confidence that it will be okay. Just remember that you have done a lot more preparation than most do before a wedding!

07-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Okay, a few tips!

1. If you cannot used flash... You are going to have to shoot with your lenses wide open. That is the point of going in there with a 2.8 and don't worry, that is a standard practice for situations like this. Don't over think it, just accept and move on.

2. 2.8 is a big difference over 4, but that is okay that you dont have the 16-50. I shot weddings without a 16-50. The trick? A tripod stationed in the back of the church. Immediately following processional, go to the back and put your camera on the tripod (a quick release plate is handy here) and shoot your wide angle shots. If you are quick and quiet about it, then move your camera to the right and get a few over the crowd shots and to the left for the same thing. Finally, drop the tripod low and get a few wide shots with the camera pointed slightly up from the center of the aisle. When you do PP make a black and white and color of each shot and you have 8 different wide from the back to show your client!

3. Be constantly adjusting ISO while shooting. 1600 should be fine for the 2.8 and tripod shots. Bump up to 3200 and plan on some NR in PP in some shots. Occasionally (and I do mean occasionally!) go up to 6400 and make those shots black and white.

4. If you can use flash, use it... But you don't have to on every shot. Some of the tips above should get you out of having to use flash, but if you are allowed then use it sometimes. Be sure to drop your ISO on flash shots and stop down a bit. I can't see the ceiling in your shots, but if you can bounce then do so. Wedding phogs are big on flash modifiers (diffusers, plastic Tupperware like containers that are overpriced, mini soft boxes, big bounce cards/panels, etc.) so they don't have direct flash. If you don't have one you would be amazed at how effective a cut piece of paper and gaffers tape can be. Go to the strobist's website for some good homemade flash modifiers. Use the variety of flash/no flash/black and white to add variety of what you present to the client as options.

5. You are so good to be shooting in dng! This should give you a minimum of 2 more stops range in post. And yes, there is going to be post in a low light shoot like this, but that is okay. Just think of it as an opportunity to clean up some images before presenting to the clients and the b+w really expands what you show to a client. Sometimes when a image is unusable in color, b+w brings it back into the mix because you can adjust exposure and shadow more in b+w than in color. And don't be afraid to edit out pictures. Just rename all of your images and the couple will be none the wiser that you decided to edit some out.

6. Don't be afraid to stage a few afterwards (referring to the kiss here) and give your couple some instruction. I always tell my couple about the speed of walking down the aisle. Tell them to take their time so that all of their guests can see you. Of course, this is so they aren't a blurry mess! Tell them to also make it a good kiss. Remind then that they don't need to make out up there, but that everyone loves a solid kiss that seals the deal. If they give you a peck during the ceremony, then just set them and the officiant up at the front (this is following the ceremony) and shoot it tight, so you don't notice the crowd is missing. I always just tell my pecking clients this is because we want to be sure we got a good shot, but I reorder and name my pics afterwards and most never connect the dots that it was the shot we took right after the ceremony not during it.

7. And this is the last one...relax. A few nerves are good; they keep you on your toes. A lot of nerves will get in the way. You don't need a masterpiece every time you press the shutter. You said they want to print about 20 shots and you want to give 200... That is only 10% that will be printed. You are going to take more than 200 too, so you are really looking for less than 10% of your shots to be printed. You can do that! You have prepared and you even when to the rehearsal, you will be fine! You gotta have the confidence that it will be okay. Just remember that you have done a lot more preparation than most do before a wedding!
Wow!! Never expect that I can get a very serious reply from pro like you. Thank you for the input, and I'll print this as well as other threads out to read through.
Hope all of you have a great day!!
Best,
B