Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

if you can still find them.....
id still recommend lcd over crt mainly cuz it's greener.
if you go get a name brand or an upper echelon lcd, all the controls are there.

and imagine the space it eats up on a 19"

i like crt's too, but every since using nothing but lcd's for the past so many years..it's been easier on my eyes as well.

01-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to learn way too much about LCD monitors, read this at AnandTech:

AnandTech - The LCD Thread

Apparently if you want good viewing angles and accurate colors, you should stay away from TN based screens. I'd like to get a 22" wide screen but there's not much available that isn't TN.
I'm still not sure what I'm going to get, but it sounds like the non-TN panels are going away because most people are only interested in price.

Good luck!

Steve
01-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Okay looking for a new monitor. ...(snip)... So Lets say I want to spend $200- $300 is there something out there folks would recommend?

Most CRT's work just fine for photo editing (used various ones for many years), but I'm entirely sold on the benefits of LCD's at this point. In addition to lighter weight, a smaller desktop footprint, and virtually no static attraction to dust and dirt, most modern LCD's also have quicker response times (5ms), accurate colors requiring little or no calibration, solid contrast ratios (700:1), decent brightness (300 cd/mē), ample horizontal/vertical viewing angles (150+), never suffer from curvature distortions, use less energy resulting in lower electric bills, and work just as well, if not better in some respects, for editing or displaying photos.

Because of that, and a desire for a bit more screen space, I recently purchased an Acer AL2216WBD 22-inch DVI Widescreen ($230/TigerDirect) to replace my older Acer 19-inch LCD display. Since I'm very satisfied with this display (no complaints), I can very comfortably recommend it. In addition, the wife is using the older display and likes it over her laptop's smaller display (we both came out ahead).

stewart
01-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Okay good new bad news. I went to CC and pick up a nice 22' SamSung SYnMaster226BW. WOW it is giant compared to what I had. 17" Planar. Couple question. It is wide screen so everything looks like a pano picture in PSPX2 and everywhere else. How do I fix this or is this what I have to learn to live with. If so it may go back. I am sure there is a setting I am missing.

01-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Okay good new bad news. I went to CC and pick up a nice 22' SamSung SYnMaster226BW. WOW it is giant compared to what I had. 17" Planar. Couple question. It is wide screen so everything looks like a pano picture in PSPX2 and everywhere else. How do I fix this or is this what I have to learn to live with. If so it may go back. I am sure there is a setting I am missing.
Your display resolution: it's normally 1680x1050 pixels with a 20 --> 22" widescreen monitor. Is it set to something else, and does your video card support that resolution?
01-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
HMM the highest screen res is 1280by 1024 pixels. Time for a new video card? i assume if I can't go higher IO am out of luck? I have the pc going in for HD upgrade Tuesday should I think about a new video card? Useing XP and no gaming going on at all. Thank alot 35MM your are helping a lot

The card I have if correct is the NVIDIA GeForceFX5200

While I am at it what about text, one line focused two lines fuzz. I scroll up and the line that was in focus gets a slight fuzz this is so far view websites.

Last edited by vievetrick; 01-27-2008 at 05:18 PM.
01-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

youu should look to update the drivers.

Log on to the board manufacturer site and upload the latest/

Also check the configuration, maybe it did not recognize instantly the monitor, and is still thinking you have your old glass one.

01-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowell, That was a major improvement. With that update I could change settings to 1680x1050 so far all the text is in focus now. Check other stuff in a minute. Just want to thank you for that first.
01-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Sorry Pat, I was away for a while, but it looks like Lowell's taken care of the rest!
01-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell, That was a major improvement. With that update I could change settings to 1680x1050 so far all the text is in focus now. Check other stuff in a minute. Just want to thank you for that first.
Thanks

That's what the forum is for, along with having fun at RH's expense
01-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

One thing you want to do with an LCD monitor is to enable "clear type"... makes reading text much easier. To do this, right click an empty spot on your desktop, then click properties, then appearance, then effects, then check the box for "use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" and select "clear type" from the drop down menu.
01-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Stratman already had that one checked. Only issue I have is opening PSPx2 before it gave me some error saying it was corrupted or had an issue, found this was an issue with others so in the process of redownloading it but it is taking forever................ Man this screen makes everyone shots look amazing. It is freaking huge I can't open IE without min it I will get used to it. My wife calls it obscene
01-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have a Samsung 940BW widescreen, and upgraded from a cheapo 17" CRT, the difference is amazing!! Great for my racing games too

Here I am heading towards Eau Rouge at Spa in the 2005 Minardi, hehe, and some Porsche Supercup action at Mills Metro Park

01-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

What games are we looking at there, Stratman? After looking at those screenshots, I'm thinking it's time to get a racing game again.

stewart
01-29-2008, 05:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

This one is called rFactor rFactor | The Future of Race Simulation the great thing about rFactor, is it was made to be modded, both of those cars, and the Spa track, are not original content of the game.