Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

How much post processing do you do?

Friend of mind is almost the opposite of me in that he seems to do a lot of post processing, and cropping.

I crop to a bare minimum (if I can't get the crop with the equipment I have then the shot doesn't happen) because in my opinion it's just not worth it on Digital with limited pixels to work with. On film I will crop more because you can 'zoom' much more readily and indeed you crop by default as on film it's normal for the image to overlap the paper - of course.

Probably 20% of my pictures might need a bit of colour balance and/or exposure tweaking, but everything else gets used in less than 5% of the work ( and digitally I can't remember EVER using dodging or burning).

So how much work do you folks do?

To add to the debate some examples of images I've taken and what I did to them (all are RAW->LR3->jpg/png).

07-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was at least one other thread on this topic as I recall and it's a bit of a recurring theme. You might search the site for that thread. Regardless I do the amount of PP work necessary to create each image. I do try to get it right in the camera but I'm rarely satisfied with that and will typically adjust tone, contrast, blown highlights, lens correction, and other things to varying degrees - sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. I crop far less but I still do it to complete the image I visualized. All this is because my work flow is that I shoot in RAW and work 98% in lightroom.
07-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I shoot RAW so I post process everything to some degree. It depends upon the individual picture how much work I feel needs to be done to it. I have no problem using the tools available to me to create the image I'm striving for.

Edited: I should say "TRY to create the image I'm striving for..." Sometimes I fail miserably!

Last edited by loco; 07-26-2012 at 06:18 AM.
07-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
You probably miss lots of what could be great shots, but to each... his own, I suppose.
The issue I have with Cropping is cropping on Digital = less pixels = can't print as large. For general adjustment crops that's generally not an issue, but for 'zoom' crops it is an issue.

On Film, of course, it's very possible to crop to a reasonable degree, especially on MF or LF film.

07-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The film mention is mainly because the argument my friend put forward was that 'it's done in film so has to be done in digital' - that said I shoot both so relevant in other ways.

I print up to A3 typically and I know 6mp is stretching 6mp to the limit so there isn't much headroom for 10mp - indeed it's close to the limit for 10mp. So unless I drop the DPI (old school ) down from 300 I don't have much headroom. The reason for the 6mp/10mp references is that I upgraded from a K110D to a K200D because for full double page spread shots I was really struggling to get the shot on the page - i.e. didn't have any room to crop.

Even 10mp isn't great, but at least leave some shuffle room.
07-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot in RAW. I'm pretty good at framing my shots but sometimes I crop a little. Then I check the white balance, tweak the color a bit, sharpen a little then mostly leave it alone. I will use a filter or two if I'm going for a high level effect, like a gradient or a retro film/sepia shot, but most of my correcting these days is done in Camera Raw. If I'm going into Photoshop and doing more I'm going for an art effect or using text or editing out wires or retouching pimples off a face, something like that. I prefer to do as much as I can non-destructively. But I don't believe in limiting myself to just crop and print. Photographers in the old day certain didn't. They burned, touched up, put color in and did all kinds of post processing stuff only in the lab by hand. So why shouldn't I? I don't get the anti-processing purists actually. They're fussing about people doing in Photoshop what used to be done routinely in the lab. I don't like seeing too much adjustment on a journalistic photo but otherwise I don't care. It's up to the photographer and so long as it's done well I don't care what people do. I don't like heavy handed post processing much, but I don't particularly think that completely unteched photos are more noble or artistic either. I wouldn't want someone to leave a big old zit on my nose for the sake of their artistic honesty. Would you?
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I shoot in RAW DNG AdobeRGB and then process the images then convert to JPEG sRGB for the interwebz. I don't manipulate the photos by adding and removing elements. However manipulating can refer to many things such as a small edit of the colors or even cropping can refer to removing elements; However from my perspective, it's adding or removing elements such as a person or a vehicle from the photo or adding a person or a vehicle to the photo.

Now when I post process, Itry to minimize hotspots and overblown highlights with shadow/highlights, play with a minor S curve for more contrast, do individual hue/saturation to correct white balance, I then do a minor sharpening and avoid halos and jaggies, lastly I do a crop if needed. When I do a B&W conversion however, I play with the colors in the B&W before fully converting to B&W such as editing the red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta, etc.

Speaking of anti-pp purists, I've encountered one a couple days ago on Flickr. I don't blame them, I know exactly how they felt as I feel the same way about photo manipulation of adding and removing elements of a photo, or doing layers of photos at a time. I however keep my mouth shut and avoid a stir when I see a photo processed that way. I'm a happy guy. http://www.flickr.com/groups/k5/discuss/72157630684241884/ - I'm ItzDaveee

Here's a photo of what I did from stating what I do in the above, I did all of that within this picture, I even cropped almost 50 percent.

Last edited by LeDave; 07-26-2012 at 10:08 AM.
07-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There is a (snobbish?) school out there which take great pride in not doing any post processing and yes most of us with a little experience behind us could do the same if we wanted to - me included.

I take great pride in all my finished pictures and that includes taking the picture and getting it RIGHT in the camera as well as using post processing to obtain the best possible results. The best results always require some post processing in my very humble opinion.

Yes, I am aware of the other extreme - which is too much post processing producing worst pictures than those straight from the camera.
07-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
There is a (snobbish?) school out there which take great pride in not doing any post processing and yes most of us with a little experience behind us could do the same if we wanted to - me included.

I take great pride in all my finished pictures and that includes taking the picture and getting it RIGHT in the camera as well as using post processing to obtain the best possible results. The best results always require some post processing in my very humble opinion.

Yes, I am aware of the other extreme - which is too much post processing producing worst pictures than those straight from the camera.
Totally agree with this and many of the above statements.
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I shoot raw so do some post. how much depends on how well i managed to get it right. I crop for compositional purposes or to eliminate something i missed in the vf, or to straighten an image but keep the crop amount to a minimum.
since I prefer b/w for a lot of images i probably do more post than many people but for a series (like shooting a concert) I will process one with no crop and copy the settings to others and just fine tune them to speed the job
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
100% RAW and PP for me.
07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

RAW here, therefore some PP. Crop if it helps. Frequent use of Element's horizon leveling tool :-( No printing.

For the OP, I would crop the first two for sure.
07-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I shoot in RAW DNG AdobeRGB
RAW files don't have a colorspace.
07-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
For the OP, I would crop the first two for sure.

Maybe I should have included the RAW's
07-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Katier Quote

Maybe I should have included the RAW's
That would not really matter, as you say the first is uncropped. The first has the flower in the center and a lot of background in...the background. The second has a lot of asphalt in the foreground :-) That's just my take on it.

I realize this is not a critique thread, but you say you do very little PP where, to me, the examples call for more.