Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Sign me up pleaseee...
i am trying to step my feet in university of this guy..... I'll be waiting right here: mwfrost04: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

08-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Snapshot or photograph? I think the viewer decides it whether it's a photo or a snap (and in either case if it's a good, decent, average or poor one). Is it interesting to them? Does it create some feelings/emotions? Does it inspire them?

Select a random photo, make a large print and hang it in a gallery. To some viewers it'll just be an uninterested snapshot - even if you woke up at 3am and spent hours to make that one shot. To some other viewers it'll be a great (art) photograph - even if you just snapped something random from your car.
08-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #33
Banned

This is a great question, really. I think understanding it and keeping it in mind and shooting away helps people understand what to do before and after the shot is taken.

In some sense, I follow that idea in the back of my head and try to make something memorable. An additional complication is seeing something there that a casual viewer who wasn't there might not because I have an emotional attachment to the place or understand a context that wasn't there.

I have TONS of "snaps" in these two blog posts. Are some snaps? Are some photographs? Does the context of presenting them as a collection turn snaps into photographs?

Pride parade in my city (and first outing wth the K-5): DELUGE PHOTO: Christopher Street Day Parade, Dresden Germany, 2012
Subsequent outing, got a bit better: DELUGE PHOTO: Bunte Republik Neustadt 2012, Dresden

I shot looking for memorable scenes. Then I edited and threw away non-memorable ones. Simple as that. Not all turned out perfect (ie: front focus), but the scenes were memorable. In that sense, some very iconic photographs in history are very imperfect.

Last edited by snake; 08-16-2012 at 02:22 AM.
08-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #34

An image is nothing more or less than a bunch of ones and zeros, pixels on a screen, chemicals on film, ink on paper. Terms like photograph, snapshot, masterpiece, junk are something that the viewer (reader) brings to the image.

08-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
i am trying to step my feet in university of this guy..... I'll be waiting right here: mwfrost04: Galleries: Digital Photography Review
Thanks for this link - these are the sort of photos I would love to take, just need to figure out how!
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
wow ! really amazing work.