Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Capture One with raw

Hey, ive been experimenting with this raw stuff since i got my k10 a week or so ago. having never dealt with anything other than scanned in slides and such, its a bit different. I'm using capture one because i got some sandisk cards that came with a serial code for the program, hopefully someone can give me some help with this.

I'm processing the raw files just fine.. i think. i mean they look okay when they come out the other end, so thats good enough for now. but my problem is, once i close the program, all the changes to the raw file are gone, and its back to the regular drab and boring looking raw image. I know it's not supposed to change the actual file, but does anyone know if i can keep the adjustments to show in the preview and save the adjustments on the sliders? I'd like to keep them so I won't have to redo everything if i want to process the raw file again and output a smaller/larger jpg or something.

Or do you guys usually output to a large TIFF file to use as your master to make jpgs and prints and all that.

01-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I played around the Capture One LE a little bit before I ended up buying Raw Developer. Capture One will maintain all of the applied in a library folder. I think you can set where this ends up. Usually when I work I do a folder at a time and when I drug my folder of RAW files into Capture One it would create a new library as a subfolder of the photo file directory that I was working on. I think you could do something similar in Lightroom. RAW Developer has a different settings file for each photo, an approach I prefer personally.

After the initial RAW processing I output as TIFF or JPEG to have another record of my files. I use TIFF if I'm going to another program like Noise Ninja, but always end up with a low compression JPEG for final archiving (along with the RAW file). From that JPEG (or from the TIFF for the same session) I'll go down in resolution and size for web or prints.
01-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
ooooh.. i know what i did wrong. I went into the folder through finder and moved the files myself, instead of moving them through capture one, so the setting files created didnt move with them. thanks for the help!