Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Do you make a photo op calendar?

In my local I have to be very 'in tune' with any photo ops that come up. It is kinda crappy local for good photo action. So I am going to make a shooting op calendar for events and things that are in season to remind me to get shooting.

Anyone try this? Or is it all in your head? Or do you just go with the flow as you feel?

Thanks

07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my preferences for subjects (birds, wildlife, etc.) the weather is the primary control over my outings, together with knowledge of where subject will be and at what stage at the specific time of the season.
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to - but I stopped because this summer is too hot.

I would search online for events to attend, and arrange them in order of date so I could cross them off my bookmarks after they passed.
07-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
For my preferences for subjects (birds, wildlife, etc.) the weather is the primary control over my outings, together with knowledge of where subject will be and at what stage at the specific time of the season.

Complex stuff. You got to be on the ball or come home with very little.

07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Complex stuff. You got to be on the ball or come home with very little.
I often come home with very little despite the knowledge. That's why everyone is so UP when they actually get a decent picture of a bird. The chase/hunt is an awful lot of the fun.
07-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I normally find a few things in the back of Westways magazine (AAA autoclub).
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll put an event on my google calendar from time to time but it's 50/50 whether that means I'll actually go. My style to grab a handful of lenses and go wander around someplace when the impulse strikes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I often come home with very little despite the knowledge. That's why everyone is so UP when they actually get a decent picture of a bird. The chase/hunt is an awful lot of the fun.
Exactly ;~)
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

I keep a photography calendar, but don't use it very often. Currently it is only being used for contest deadlines, but my original intent was photo ops.

I do however keep notes on my iphone with ideas and locations.

07-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sort Of

I have a couple of websites that list local events I might be interested in. Car shows, live music (especially free events!), festivals like the Dragon Boat Fest last weekend, then I figure out what I might like to attend.
Other times I just grab a bag of lenses and go out wandering.
Ron
07-30-2012, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

No calendar, just weather reports. Weather determines where I go, if I go at all. Overcast means possible trips to the Redwoods, or wildlife shooting, or to the zoo. Possibility of interesting sunset (clouds and sunshine) might mean a jaunt somewhere up the coast. During summer months I keep track of weather forecast for the inland mountains, looking for thunderstorms or brief cold fronts. When snow showers were forecast for Crater Lake on the first weekend in summer, I made sure I was there. My calendar is the weather forecast. Only cloudless skies or severe winds will keep me home when I have a mind to go shooting.