Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Flash position question

Not sure if I worded my title correctly, so here goes. I have a Metz AF-50, shoot with a K10, and for the time being, thats where the flash is mounted, (on the camera). I guess my question is getting the flash off the hot shoe a better option. I've seen fixed brackets that allow the flash, (with a ttl cord) to be mounted off to the side of the camera. For the bulk of what I shoot, (slow action, indoors, and multiple subjects posed), will I see improvement in getting the flash off camera?

08-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting the flash off the top of the camera wil give you the ability to be creative with the light and (just as importantly) the shadows on your subjects.
08-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you can manage it, grab a P-TTL cord or wireless triggers (Cactus V5s are great). Then just hold the flash in one hand and the camera in the other. Obviously this will only work with AF lenses or with hyper-focal techniques. But it keeps your set-up lightweight and very adaptable. Especially wireless triggers because at any point you could set the flash down somewhere if you want.
08-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #4

One of the 1st rules in flash photography is that, take the flash off the camera.
I suggest try it with the optical slave mode before spending money on triggers (Ipersonally at the moment I use cheap Yongnuo Rf602) or ttl cords.
Options could be, TTL cord with flash in one hand and camera in the other, or even better flash on a lightstand in optical slave mode or with triggers, and no, don't point that harsh source of light directly in the face of your subject, use a light modifier, a good starting point could be the lumiquest softbox III or the LTP (quite big and useful only on stands) or a lumiquest 80/20, or even a shoot through umbrella.
If you're indoors and you have a white ceiling at a reasonable height (not super high ceiling) bounce the flash off it and use it as a giant softbox.
Remember the laws of phisics say that the bigger the source of the light (relatively to the subject) and the closer to the subject, the softer it is (that's why the sun sucks, it's uge but because of the distance it's relative size is tiny).
Last thing, a diffuser outdoors is just sucking a stop of light and giving you no benefit since it's intended for the light to bounce off somewhere (which doesn't happen in open spaces...)

08-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcamero Quote
For the bulk of what I shoot, (slow action, indoors, and multiple subjects posed), will I see improvement in getting the flash off camera?
Are you currently bouncing the flash off ceiling and/or walls? That is the simplest way to get attractive diffuse light in the situation you describe, and will cost you nothing.