Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sudbury, Ont.

It all started when I was 14. My Dad set me up with one of his co-workers (a fellow Cop) to show me what photography was all about. This thoughtful and patient man spent the better part of a day to demonstrate the whole process from taking the pictures to developing and printing using the lab at the OPP office in Chatham. I was hooked!

My 35mm collection includes:Praktica L; Pentax ME Super; Yashica Lynx 14E; Canonet GIII QL; Konica Auto S2
Medium Format camera: Yashica Mat 124G
Digital cameras: Pentax *ist DS; K10D; and an older P&S Olympus
Lenses: Vivitar 28mm; Pentax 28mm; 50mm f2 & f1.7; 40mm Limited; 18-55mm Kit lens; 10-17mm fisheye; two 80-200's (F and FA); Voigtlander APO Lanther 125mm Macro; Extension tubes

I am inspired to shoot while visiting new places. I really have to give my self a shove to get out locally and take pictures. Not to be negative but mountains of Inco slag are very uninspiring to me. I have heard of a local camera club but was tipped off that it is a "Canon Appreciation Club" in disguise; and that is a turn-off.

I have two weeks off this summer and can't decide on where to go - East coast again, western Canada, North/South Carolina or Scotland.

01-30-2008, 03:33 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
Living in Barrie, Ontario. Also known as "Toronto's bedroom community"

I would absolutely love to hook up with other Pentax/misc photographers and share locations and techniques.

- Andrew
Any relation to Bob and Cathy from Chatham/London?
01-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Hamilton, ON

Just a hop, skip and a jump down the road from Toronto, Hamilton is located in the Niagara Escarpment Region. I really have no style or preference as of yet because I'm still too new to photography to figure out what I like or what I'm good at.
01-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
It all started when I was 14. My Dad set me up with one of his co-workers (a fellow Cop) to show me what photography was all about. This thoughtful and patient man spent the better part of a day to demonstrate the whole process from taking the pictures to developing and printing using the lab at the OPP office in Chatham. I was hooked!
You only had a days lesson when you were 14
I'm impressed Jeff.

When I was that age I had about a 10 minute lesson, and chose a P&S camera thinking that it took the same quality of pictures
Oh, How I was wrong.

01-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
You only had a days lesson when you were 14
I'm impressed Jeff.

When I was that age I had about a 10 minute lesson, and chose a P&S camera thinking that it took the same quality of pictures
Oh, How I was wrong.
Well I didn't even have a 10-minute lesson. I took the film out of the camera, turned on the tap and expected my 620 negs to become pickchores. I've not gotten any better since.
01-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uh... where do I sign up??

01-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
Inactive Account

No, sorry.

- Andrew

01-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
No, sorry.

- Andrew
What did you do that you are sorry about
01-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Sault Ste Marie Ontario

Originally from Cornwall Ontario, but moved here since I was 7 years old. A year later, my father lent me his Kodak Retinette 1A, and a small Seconic external light meter, and well....its been a fantastic voyage since.

My gear can be found in my signature.

I do most of my photography during the warm summer months. My main interest are wildlife and macro photography. I like both because they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Macro is so fiddly and exacting, whereas wildlife is more like a pleasant walk without knowing what you will encounter. It just really is an excuse to walk about and get some exercise I guess. With that said, I enjoy all aspects of photography subject matter wise.
01-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #25

Ottawa

Time in Victoria, Winnipeg, Kingston, Halifax and out of Canada time in UK and Dayton Ohio and now settled in Ottawa. Started with a K1000 years ago and very happy with my K100D - enjoy shooting indoors basketball in winter - and canoeing in Northwestern Ontario (several trips in Quetico Park - one to Woodland Caribou, and a few trips into Algonquin). Learned lots of great info in the past few months from the forum. Latest lens the FA 50/1.4. Ken.
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #26

Montreal, QC

I'm on the south shore of Montreal. Own an *ist DL2 and a battery of lenses.

I divide my shooting time between architecture and portraits. I'm starting to practice Strobist techniques. Some of the best shots I've taken have been here in Montreal and in Croatia.
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Southern Canadian Rockies

I live in a small town on Highway 3 (Crowsnest Highway) 16 km West of the Alberta border in the Southern Canadian Rockies. I have two photographic hobbies: Birds with the 400 and scenics with the rest.
02-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Ottawa Valley.

I live west of Ottawa, in the Ottawa Valley. Arnprior area, to be more specific.

Inherited my interest in Photography from my dad, who always has a camera in his hand (used to be Zeiss Ikon Contaflex, he's shooting Canon now). He's got years of experience over me, and it shows

Lately spending most of my time between work, 3 teenagers (and, of course my lovely wife), Church activities, and the occasional time with my Pentax toys.

Most my photography happens in the summer (it's dark when I arrive, and leave work). Algonquin canoe trips, music festivals, camping, kicking around our 4 acre lot.
02-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hi! everybody. I live about 30km north of Montreal in a small "dorm" town. I'm a printing press operator (no glamour there, but you need a job to pay for LBA). I've been taking pictures since forever (early '70s). I currently own a Rolleiflex 2 1/4 square, a Konica Autoreflex T3 with 2 lenses, a Olympus OM-2 with 3 lenses, a Nikon F3 with 3 lenses, a K1000 with 4 lenses (a real workhorse, always ready), and a K10D (I had to move into the 21st century eventually). My hobbies (in order) are: flying sailplane, flying singles, photography and biking. I can spend a lot of time typing all that tonight since there is snowstorm going on and I won't shovel till it's all gone by sometime tomorrow.
02-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toronto, Ontario

My name is Dave. Originally from Fort Erie, deep in the Niagara Region and across the river from Buffalo NY. (Same hometown as Douglas Kirkland.) I am primarily a filmmaker (by training and by persistence) The Behaviour of Houses (2007) but I also work a day job to pay for the filmmaking and the photography. I do photography strictly for the love.

Digital: *ist DL
35mm: Spotmatic F (black body), Program Plus, MZ-M, Canon TL
Medium Format: Yashica 12
K and M42 Lenses: 18-35 FAJ, 24-135/2.8-4.5 Sigma, 28-90 FA, Tokina 28/2.8, Yashica 35/2.8 M42, 50/2 SMC A, 55/1.8 Super Tak M42, 135/2.8 Hanimex M42, 300/5.5 Lentar M42

I enjoy street, landscape and casual portrait. I am working on my strobist skills to do some portrait work for musician friends.