Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
1. compression of background to subject signifies short telephoto lens. this was probably shot on something like a 135mm or 85mm on FF. 2. trees are used to frame the subject as well as to echo the shape of the subject's pose (standing straight) 3. colors are generally complimentary but not overbearingly so. theres a tinge of blue to compliment the golden brown and the green supplements both colors quite nicely 4. light is natural, but remains soft. Light is coming in at an angle rather than flat on in front or above. This is due to shooting the diffused sun at a much earlier/later time of day rather than midday. I'd assume its early morning judging from the tone of the light as well as the presence of the fog 5. its not always about the photography. the subject in particular is what makes this image for me
Dang bro, I wish to be able to analyze photos like you someday.
Agreed, nice summary there adpo.

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I don't know what 'compression of background' means...
Compression is brought about by using a telephoto lens and it results in the background appearing closer than it would with a normal lens. A wide angle lens has the opposite effect, extension, and makes objects appear to be farther away. These two effects makeup perspective distortion.

My guess is that the out of focus background is an honest representation of the original image rather than something that simply was accomplished in post processing. I say this for two reasons. (1) The background appears to become progressively more out of focus with greater distance. (2) The ground at the feet of the girl is not out of focus, as would be expected with it being on the same focal plane. I won't rule out that the effect was enhanced with some careful and mild post processing but I think that for the most part it was accomplished in camera. Too bad there's no EXIF data with it. Like others have commented, I think that the picture was very likely taken with a FF camera and medium telephoto lens.

P.S. - Thanks for sharing this compelling image alamo5000. I can see why it was the winner.

08-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

It's a widely-held belief amongst photographers that longer focal length lenses cause 'compression' of elements between foreground and background. However, it's a myth. The 'compression' is due to the distance to subject only. The myth probably comes about largely from the way that telephoto lenses are generally used from a farther distance - giving the compression effect. If you took a photo from the same place with a 50mm and a 500mm and blew up the area of the 50mm photo to match the 500mm photo, the image will be same (allowing for the lower quality due to blowing it up...).
08-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
It's a widely-held belief amongst photographers that longer focal length lenses cause 'compression' of elements between foreground and background. However, it's a myth. The 'compression' is due to the distance to subject only. The myth probably comes about largely from the way that telephoto lenses are generally used from a farther distance - giving the compression effect. If you took a photo from the same place with a 50mm and a 500mm and blew up the area of the 50mm photo to match the 500mm photo, the image will be same (allowing for the lower quality due to blowing it up...).
That is technically true. I'll admit, the whole matter can be confusing. The thing is, and you did point this out, is that in practice you will generally be farther away when shooting with a telephoto so when you see compression in a picture it's fairly safe to assume that it was taken with a telephoto lens.

The Wikipedia article I linked to summarizes it this way:
QuoteQuote:
Note that perspective distortion is caused by distance, not by the lens per se – two shots of the same scene from the same distance will exhibit identical perspective distortion, regardless of lens used. However, since wide-angle lenses have a wider field of view, they are generally used from closer, while telephoto lenses have a narrower field of view and are generally used from farther away.