Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 96
Priceless

- 2 week vacation in east coast US: Check
- travelling in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston which are some of the best photographing locations: Check
- taking a photography course in NYC: Check
- finding a Balloon Festival, driving 10 hours roundtrip to shoot over 500 great shots of balloons: Check

- coming home to find out you had +0.7 Ev compensation on the whole time: PRICELESS!!

Check your settings everyone.
I was wondering why a lot of the photos were coming out overexposed, and I was blaming the hot summer sun, coming from the Pacific NW.


Argun

08-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 959
Recoverable if shooting RAW, which is why I always shoot RAW+.
08-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 5,573
You should have bought a K200D: +0.7 EV comp is what produces properly exposed shots most of the time.
08-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lyngby, Copenhagen
Photos: Albums
Posts: 742
Set your camera to clear EC, WB and other potentially surprising settings at power-on. There's a menu item for that.

That said, I think most of us have had similar experiences to yours. I'm prone to leaving the camera on spot metering.
That's a hard button (yipee) and thus can't be cleared at power up (drat).

Regards,
--Anders.

08-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,967
That's not too bad really. I once shot an entire series in broad daylight (for work too) on my K10 with it set at 1600 ISO(that's the max ISO for the K10) couldn't understand why my shutter speeds were so high! Even though I was shooting raw I had a lot of de-noise work to do on those images. Yuck!
08-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jamarley's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 409
Been there, done that (well some of those places, anyway). I'm now better at checking my settings and have gotten in the habit of returning most everything to my preferred "normal" settings after each series of shots. All I need now is a way to not forget the memory card! Oh, and a way to correctly anticipate which lens to take when I'm traveling light.

Last edited by jamarley; 08-22-2012 at 07:49 AM.
08-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 792
I checked my menu on the K5 and couldn't identify where to set this. Can you tell me exactly where this setting can be set?

TIA

Franky2step



QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Set your camera to clear EC, WB and other potentially surprising settings at power-on. There's a menu item for that.

That said, I think most of us have had similar experiences to yours. I'm prone to leaving the camera on spot metering.
That's a hard button (yipee) and thus can't be cleared at power up (drat).

Regards,
--Anders.
08-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lyngby, Copenhagen
Photos: Albums
Posts: 742
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Can you tell me exactly where this setting can be set?
In the shooting (camera icon) menu tab, page 5, second from the bottom "Memory". Two pages of checkboxes that control which settings persist across power cycles.

Regards,
--Anders.

08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 96
Original Poster
Thank you Anders. That should save some future pain.

/a
08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,631
Had my Super ME set on 400 ISO film when I loaded 200 ISO film. Good thing I caught it early on.
08-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 792
Thanks Anders, set it tonight!

Franky2step
08-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,979
QuoteOriginally posted by atekant Quote
- 2 week vacation in east coast US: Check
- travelling in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston which are some of the best photographing locations: Check
- taking a photography course in NYC: Check
- finding a Balloon Festival, driving 10 hours roundtrip to shoot over 500 great shots of balloons: Check

- coming home to find out you had +0.7 Ev compensation on the whole time: PRICELESS!!

Check your settings everyone.
I was wondering why a lot of the photos were coming out overexposed, and I was blaming the hot summer sun, coming from the Pacific NW.


Argun
Nothing is lost (especially +0.7Ev) if you take RAW and highlight clipping protection on. There are worst cases such as 1) leaving ISO at 1600 (previous outing at night) and use full auto mode or 2) WB set at tungsten (again previous outing at night) while taking JPEG outdoor in daylight.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, check, nyc, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
introduction DLM Welcomes and Introductions 4 02-13-2012 06:26 PM
Nature Gotcha!! Ekim890 Post Your Photos! 10 12-17-2010 09:53 PM
Misc Priceless expression miss_alexx Post Your Photos! 2 11-03-2010 07:52 AM
Hi-Def DSLRs May Be Cheap, But Talent Is Priceless lukevega General Talk 1 11-21-2009 09:29 PM
sleeping beauty Gooshin Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2008 08:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top