Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

auto bracketing

why is it that when i set my auto bracketing it doesn't work? i put it in manual or automatic and hold down the bracketing button, choose 3 frames, choose the number of steps, then try to take the pictures, and only one picture is taken, instead of 3. help!

02-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
either hold the button longer or press it up to 5 times quickly afterwards.
02-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jnoelle Quote
why is it that when i set my auto bracketing it doesn't work? i put it in manual or automatic and hold down the bracketing button, choose 3 frames, choose the number of steps, then try to take the pictures, and only one picture is taken, instead of 3. help!
Bracketing does NOT cause your camera to shoot in continuous mode or shoot 3 times automatically with 1 press. You still have to fire 3 separate shots (or hold down the shuttle in AF-C mode). The camera will shoot each of the shot with different settings (depending on what you are bracketing).
02-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
my boyfriend just bought a nikon d200 and it automatically does it, infact i don't think it even releases the shutter 3 times but rather just digitally adjusts to create the other shots, so maybe that's where i was confused. thank you for the information. I was also wondering, do you think it wiser to auto bracket or to put it in shutter priority or aperture priority mode and adjust one stop? when you are using your camera outside of hyper manual, do you use just the green automatic or do you find the other functions more useful?

02-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yup, that's what I thought too, until The Forum corrected me. My cheap Old did it internally but the Pentax doesn't.

Such is life.
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

glad I read this because, if I went to use it one day, I would have thought it was broken too!
02-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

my K100D fires off 3 shots one after another with just 1 press... just have to hold it down, and it changes the exposure and all...

02-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer to bracket the shots myself. I'll set the camera in Manual and take the exposures as needed. If I'm shooting for HDR then I'll use the auto bracket with camera on a tripod and a cable release and sometimes the 2 second mirror lock up. That's just to ensure that each shot is framed exactly the same.
02-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
my K100D fires off 3 shots one after another with just 1 press... just have to hold it down, and it changes the exposure and all...
Yep. Can't imagine it working any other way.
02-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jnoelle Quote
my boyfriend just bought a nikon d200 and it automatically does it, infact i don't think it even releases the shutter 3 times but rather just digitally adjusts to create the other shots, so maybe that's where i was confused. thank you for the information. I was also wondering, do you think it wiser to auto bracket or to put it in shutter priority or aperture priority mode and adjust one stop? when you are using your camera outside of hyper manual, do you use just the green automatic or do you find the other functions more useful?
If you don't know if which setting is best, auto bracketing is a great time saving feature. Obviously, you'd have more control if you choose to do it yourself... if u have the time. So I wouldn't recommend manually bracketing or auto bracketing over one another, it's a style used in different kinds of situations.

When shooting manual, the green button resets the shutter and aperture to a metered reading. I've found it's best use is when I'm switching between a different scene with drastically different lighting. One press and my 1/30 indoor shutter speed will be reset to 1/1000 when I walk back outside into daylight (for example).
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Inactive Account

assuming you have a K10D press Fn then up and choose drive mode continuous shooting

james
02-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

So reading this promted me to play with the autobracket. i just found out that the entire "bracket group" can be adjusted with the exposre compensation.

So instead of -1,0,+1, I can move the group to -2,-1,0, or 0,+1,+2.

Love this camera!
02-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
Igilligan

Now I am confused

My K100d clicks off 3 continuous shots with exp bracketing. Adjustable steps starting where you set exp comp. With a single press of the shutter. Is the K10d different than that?

If it is why would it be different?
02-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #14

The K10D does do it with a single press; just make sure you are set to single shot drive mode (otherwise it'll keep shooting after you've finished your bracketed set), set your bracketing for 3 or 5 shots, set the exposure step value and hold down the button - it'll automatically fire off the requisite number of shots with the appropriate exposure shift for each one.
03-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #15

K10D Auto Bracket stopped working

I just noticed that auto bracketing stopped working on my K10D. I know it worked when I first got the camera. One press created three separate versions of the image. No holding down the release or continuous drive mode was required.

The only thing I can think of is that it stopped working after I upgraded to firmware version 1.30.

I have tried all the modes in which it is supposed to function, and tried varying the EV steps and increments, etc. but nothing works. However, Extended Bracket mode (e.g. for White Balance) does work.

I guess the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," applies. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there a fix other than trying downgrade to a previous version of the firmware?