Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Exposure bracketing in manual mode

Hi All,

I have begun to shoot much more frequently in manual mode with my K-5. Since I do a lot of HDR I tend to use exposure bracketing frequently as well. In the past, using the aperture priority mode, this worked great giving me a set of 3 or 5 images at the same aperture but different shutter speeds. However, when I try this in Manual mode the camera varies the aperture rather than the shutter speed to get the different exposures. Is there a way to force the aperture to remain constant when shooting exposure brackets in M mode?

09-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've encountered the same 'problem'. In the end I created a custom user mode with the most parameters set to my liking and AV (Aperture priority) as the shooting mode instead of manual mode. I couldn't find a way to lock the aperture in manual mode so if I would be you I'll just stick to aperture priority. It is the only way I know to do this.
09-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
In the K5, the decision on whether to change the shutter speed, aperture, or both is controllable via the "green button" setting of the E-dial programming. By default it's set to "P Line", which changes both the shutter and aperture.

To change it, go to Menu 5 -> E-Dial Programming 2 -> "M", and select either "TvSHIFT" (to change only the shutter speed) or "AvShift" (to change only the aperture.)

Happy HDR'ing
09-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
In the K5, the decision on whether to change the shutter speed, aperture, or both is controllable via the "green button" setting of the E-dial programming. By default it's set to "P Line", which changes both the shutter and aperture.

To change it, go to Menu 5 -> E-Dial Programming 2 -> "M", and select either "TvSHIFT" (to change only the shutter speed) or "AvShift" (to change only the aperture.)

Happy HDR'ing
Thanks for the tip. I am starting a course and one of the first assignments calls for this. I have a K-7 and this option is on C 4 line 28

09-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster

Happy HDR'ing
Thank you!!
09-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, Av is the logical mode for HDR bracketing shots, as any change DOF could mess up the HDR image. I also have made use of the USER mode for this, and it works well. I set it up for Av mode, iso 100, 5 brackets spaced 1.5 stops apart and plus 1.5 EV, so its always ready if you suddenly need to try brackets for HDR.

I'm not sure though - would there actually be any purpose for using M mode when shooting brackets ? I'm assuming you are using the 'one-push bracketing' option to fire the series with one press of the shutter?
09-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Yes, Av is the logical mode for HDR bracketing shots, as any change DOF could mess up the HDR image. I also have made use of the USER mode for this, and it works well. I set it up for Av mode, iso 100, 5 brackets spaced 1.5 stops apart and plus 1.5 EV, so its always ready if you suddenly need to try brackets for HDR.

I'm not sure though - would there actually be any purpose for using M mode when shooting brackets ? I'm assuming you are using the 'one-push bracketing' option to fire the series with one press of the shutter?
Hi,

Yes, I am using the one-push option that I have programmed into the Raw/Fx button. I just want to avoid having to shift to back and forth from M to Av.

09-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Then USER mode is the way to go. Use manual for controlling individual exposures and USER for the bracketed sequence. This is a great feature I find. I wish Pentax would offer some form of menu customisation, like you own personal 'favourite' settings screen. The control Panel is a good idea, but I find it includesa number of items I never use, not the ones I do use frequently.
09-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
would there actually be any purpose for using M mode when shooting brackets ?
Two instances come to mind.

1. You want to override the camera's meter by more than 5EV.

2. You want to take multiple bracketed stacks and stitch them together. Each stack must use the same exposure values, but you don't want to have to fiddle with exposure compensation for each stack.
03-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Happy HDR'ing
I realize this is an old thread and this user hasn't been active in over a year, but I wanted to say thanks! I'd been wondering how to do this for some time now, and just got around for searching for a solution today.