Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is something that may be worth trying. It's called a "string tripod"....

hope that helps...

09-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
This is something that may be worth trying. It's called a "string tripod"....

Easy Image Stabilizer For Any Camera - Photography Trick - YouTube
hope that helps...

Gotta try that one.. cheers
09-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Ooh, beat me to it -- was about to mention the string tripod. A bit dorky, but doesn't weigh anything.
09-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
As per the title, I tend to have great difficulty with keeping my hands steady at anything around 1/125 or below.

Are there any tips/tricks/excercises to help?

(worth noting, this is with an *istDS, so no shake reduction)
OK, I see the note, first of all, what lenses are you using?

while I wait for the response, I have attached a link, and OK it is with a K7 and shake reduction on, but it is 1/40th of a second with a 500mm lens. what helped me take the shot is no different than what will help you get better shots too.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/164135-pentax-k...4-samples.html

- you need to establish a steady foundation for yourself, with legs apart and slightly staggered front to back. separation will depend on how big you are, but typically 15-18 inches or more, but regardless it must be comfortable
- you need to hold your camera in 3 places, most shooters (those that are right eyed any way) have the viewfinder /camera back in contact with their face, that is one point, the second is your right hand on the shutter, and the third is your left hand supporting the lens, the further away from your body the better.
- tuck your elbows in at your side, as opposed to out flapping like a bird
- press the shutter button slowly, and try not to rotate the entire camera when you do.
- breath out as you are shooting , or slightly before, but do not breath in.

those are the basics. You can also steady yourself against a post, tree or what ever, or rest your camera on/against something solid, but that is for really extreme cases.

as a rule of thumb, you should be able to get acceptably sharp shots at 1 / ( focal length x 1.5) for prints up to 8 x 10 inch. printing bigger may require higher shutter speeds.

09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great tips, Bossa.

I avoid or greatly reduce shutter button shake by bracing the tip of my finger on the camera body and pressing the button with the first joint. It works for me with medication induced shake that also results in the occasional "jump" when I go to move a finger. Rather than the finger being held up by the muscles, it is held by the camera and the press using the muscles that straighten the finger rather than those that move it down seems to allow the slow pressure release that nearly eliminates the shake.
10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I took a photo journalism course in college and had a pretty good teacher. Unfortunately over the years I have forgotten his name, but he had been a field photographer in Vietnam. He taught the basic technique of left arm against the front of the body, hand cradling the lens, camera against your face. This works pretty good when you can do it.
10-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A friend of mine demonstrated holding the camera with his hand kind of cupped around the body and pressed against his face. So it seemed like his palm was half over the camera & half over his face. I found it awkward & didn't adopt the practice, but he swore by it. You could experiment with different hand positions, try to have more of your hand against your face... Though with a big camera body it would be harder.
If I need to hand hold a slower exposure, I just take a few deep slow breaths to steady myself (thinking of the stillness of holding a yoga pose), then in the pause after exhaling I press the shutter. In theory at least, I'm not moving during that still moment.
Heard of the string tripod before but never made one. I should do that

10-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apologies for the slow reply.

To answer the question regarding lens, it's generally with my 70-210 F4 A series lens, the 50mm is usually fine unless it's low light.

So far I've tried a few of Heie's suggestions, mainly the tucking arms in and standing more sure footedly.
It seemed to help quite a bit, however the shooting on the days I tried it were not particularly difficult ones for stability.
10-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My holding method also relies on the left arm being against the body, but not to the front. I find the most comfortable position with the head turned as far to the left as it comfortable, close my eyes and settle things into place, see where the camera is pointing and then turn myself so it's pointing in the right direction. Hand position is thumb and forefinger on focus or zoom ring. This puts the palm of the hand under the camera base most of the time with short lenses, or under the tripod mount on the 400. It works for me, particularly when combined with a shutter finger with the tip on the body, pressing the release with the first joint from the end.
10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
And this is the reason of discourage to the shooting by my son too. (12y)
Thanks for the advices.

I to jest także powód zniechęcenia do focenia przez mojego syna.