Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Uta Barth-Photographer Genius Grant

Congratulations to Uta Barth a 2012 MacArthur Foundation Genius Award recepient worth $500,000.00. I searced her work on the web. the blurred work enduced a eye ache.
I will no longer throw out my out of focus shots! And hope that this type of award winning photography will trickle down $$ to me. Stay tuned and fog those lenses!

10-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Even if you told me there were people giving out money for this kind of thing, I'm not sure I could bring myself to waste the film to make stuff like this. I looked at google too. First reaction: "Oh, please. You've gotta be kidding me."
Eye ache? I defy anyone to read through all of this. I got a headache after a couple of paragraphs.
Uta Barth
But, she's got the $$ and I don't, so I will be polite & not say any more.
10-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How boring can you be about photography?!

I think some would call the images "art", although there are some pretty bad ones there.
10-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t.

10-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Odd, normally for crap to be art the artist already has to be popular (see Rhine II on wikipedia). Now that she is "known" I guess any piece she creates is a work of art.

But then I'm just a tad bitter because I didn't think to win 500k by putting hipster words to shoddy photos.
Guess I better get on that, I could use some cash for a new camera. And I'll make them really huge prints too, that also makes them art.
10-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol this is amazing. I have many out of focus images, where is my grant! You don't even need to call me a genius, I'm that humble.
And I can write a hundred page essay explaining why that Oof shot is not just Pentax AF, its not just a shaky hand, no, its a critique of modern visual codes and society itself!

Edit: Also, if I were funding that MacArthur Foundation.. I would want my money back.
10-15-2012, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I don't get what you all rant about. I find some of her work beautiful, while some less so.

10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I don't get what you all rant about. I find some of her work beautiful, while some less so.
I think many forum users here make beautiful photographs, perhaps more consistently. I think her work is.. Ikea-good. You know, something you buy for a couple dollars to hang above the sofa. I don't think its 500.000 dollars good. That is what we are anguishiing over, the reward just seems completely disproportionate to what her output is, even if some of her photos are tranquil and calming. But hey, I'm not trying to say you shouldn't enjoy that style.
10-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #9

Meh, to each their own. I can see it from one POV, as it kinda represents real life - not always in focus, if you will.

Still, my dogs "make" things in the back yard twice a day. Wrapping one up and giving it to someone doesn't really make it a gift now, does it...?

I'm pretty sure if you showed some of those images to the average person, they'd ask if you knew how to use a camera. But those shots aren't for every person now are they? I have a few shots form over the years when the blur just made the difference. It captured a mood, an action or in some way simply added a dynamic that wasn't present otherwise.

The real question is this:

When she won the award, did she go to a bar and celebrate telling people that someone gave her $500,000 for makign out of focus photos? Because if she did, and can laugh at what many will feel is absurd, then she's got a great head on her shoulders. Doesn't change her art, as that's from her mind's eye, but knowing you're in the minority and being able to chuckle at yourself for finding a niche, that's priceless.
10-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I'd rather hang some of her work on my wall than give space to Tracy Emin's bed (let alone Damien Hirst's shark) but what do I know about art? Apparently, it's something your 5-year-old couldn't do better (which leaves me wondering about the bed). Then again, that definition was coined before a chimp got hold of a DSLR, so heaven knows how we should define it now. John Cage's 4'33" is a musical composition, too - I play it all the time at my house.
10-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #11

I was inspired last night. Placed the K5 & 100mm macro on the ledge of the window in my hotel room here in Vegas. Turned out all the lights. Focus was loose. Hit the shutter. We'll see if i think its worth keeping when I review today. SOME of the blur actually captured a mood, but unless you knew it was Vegas, would it mean much?
10-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #12

What I find fascinating about Uta Barth is that she has been shooting for 14 years, all of it inside of her own house. That kind of blows my mind. Some interesting discussion of both artists in this article:

Are These Photographers Geniuses?
10-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
What I find fascinating about Uta Barth is that she has been shooting for 14 years, all of it inside of her own house. That kind of blows my mind. Some interesting discussion of both artists in this article:

Are These Photographers Geniuses?
Thanks for the link - interesting reading. When you think about it, most visual artists create their works inside a studio, but, of course, their medium is more difficult to carry than a camera. Maybe she doesn't get out much.
10-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
...what do I know about art? Apparently, it's something your 5-year-old couldn't do better ...
It's funny; I often enjoy doing abstracty photos -- patterns in nature, lines, shapes... (but they aren't just blurs) but odds are I'll hate other abstract photography. I think it's a lot more subjective than other subject matter.

But this comment reminded me of the time I was in a little art shop & there was some crummy red & black splotchy bumpy thing on the wall, by a member of the local art clique & therefore promoted. A woman came in with a little girl of maybe 7-ish, & the kid stood there looking up at the thing on the wall & I overheard her say "I could do THAT." I took myself into a corner out of the owner's sight to have a giggle, but they may have heard me say, "you go, kid".