Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any tips for shooting macro under LW UV light?

My son has a science project due and he decided to learn about phosphorescent rocks. We've pulled together a few samples and I've been trying to photograph them under a Long-Wave UV light. The light we have is a medical UV light for disinfecting, because it was readily available. One problem is that it puts out a blue visible light to help the user guide the application of the invisible UV. The background is a piece of white copier paper. Anybody have experience with this sort of photography and want to share their wisdom?

10-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dunno, I think the blue kind of gives it context if you know what I mean. If you don't like it, are there not any visible light cutoff filters you could purchase from Baader or something?
10-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Dunno, I think the blue kind of gives it context if you know what I mean. If you don't like it, are there not any visible light cutoff filters you could purchase from Baader or something?
There are built in electronic filters in the K-5 and I suppose through PS as well. I need to go research their use in situations like this, thanks.
10-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree, I rather like the effect with the blue light... Great shots, too. Nice colors!

Jim

10-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Can you stick a neutral card in there and manually white balance? Not sure what that would do to the colors. The blue does look pretty cool though.
10-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't like the blue.

Ok fine, I like it, but I'll play devils advocate.

I'd be very curious to see these same shots if you tried to balance it, even if they may be better/worse/same, it would be interesting to see.

I echo enoeske's sentiment of using a neutral card, otherwise, let us know what you find with the PS filters
10-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The other way is CS4 > image > adjustments > channel mixer > output channel to blue > blue slider to zero. Black backgrounds though.

10-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Black backgrounds though
I was going to suggest the black fabric background. You will find that even black fabric may have certain fibers that are reactive to UV, so you will need to experiment.
10-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I was going to suggest the black fabric background. You will find that even black fabric may have certain fibers that are reactive to UV, so you will need to experiment.
I tried the black background first but the one I have with my macro kit is velvet and ALL the lint G-L-O-W-S something fierce. I kinda like the blue too but since I see most photos online of florescent rocks with a solid black background that was my original goal. Perhaps this is better.
10-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #10

How about some flat black spray paint on the paper/card? You can get various UV lights at automotive parts stores - dye is added to various systems to detect leaks in transmission, oil, and AC. I don't know how much visible light they give out though.
10-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No experience with UV, but you could try separating the rock from the background by 'suspending' it on a piece of glass. With your UV light placed directly above and no other light sources, reflections won't be much of a problem and you can make sure whatever background is visible through the glass is far enough away from your UV light to be rendered black (or blocked off from being hit by the UV light). All dust will show up though.

Or put the rock on a thin pedestal, like a fat piece of doweling (make sure it's secure or at least has something nice and cushy in the event it falls off). Again with the UV light directly above the rock, the pedestal will be rendered black provided it's shaded by the rock, make sure your background is far enough away to also be rendered black (or blocked off from being hit by the UV light). Even if it's not, you can remove the pedestal with photoshop fairly easily as it would only be a small edge you'd have to deal with.

Or a variant on the pedestal, but shoot from directly above so that the pedestal isn't visible at all from the cameras viewpoint. Have the UV light to the side, and block it off from hitting the background (your floor) to keep it black. This might take some space and/or a ladder.

Essentially you want find a way to separate the rock from the background to let you control how much light falls on the background relative to the rock.
10-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
No experience with UV, but you could try separating the rock from the background by 'suspending' it on a piece of glass. With your UV light placed directly above and no other light sources, reflections won't be much of a problem and you can make sure whatever background is visible through the glass is far enough away from your UV light to be rendered black (or blocked off from being hit by the UV light). All dust will show up though.

Or put the rock on a thin pedestal, like a fat piece of doweling (make sure it's secure or at least has something nice and cushy in the event it falls off). Again with the UV light directly above the rock, the pedestal will be rendered black provided it's shaded by the rock, make sure your background is far enough away to also be rendered black (or blocked off from being hit by the UV light). Even if it's not, you can remove the pedestal with photoshop fairly easily as it would only be a small edge you'd have to deal with.

Or a variant on the pedestal, but shoot from directly above so that the pedestal isn't visible at all from the cameras viewpoint. Have the UV light to the side, and block it off from hitting the background (your floor) to keep it black. This might take some space and/or a ladder.

Essentially you want find a way to separate the rock from the background to let you control how much light falls on the background relative to the rock.
Good ideas. I recall the lecture I went to a few weeks ago with one of the top rock photographers (don't laugh many of his shots are STUNNINGLY Beautiful) and he said he uses non-reflective glass from picture frames to place the rock on and then hands a colored piece of paper from the back of it to give a pleasant and controlled background to the image.
10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The glass idea is good - put some distance between the background and subject.
Also, fix your focus under full-spectrum light, then switch. The images might be a little underexposed, which probably won't hurt you once they're adjusted in PP.
You should be able to give a nice DOF, and if you really want to explore that you can get an image-stacking program.
10-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The glass idea is good - put some distance between the background and subject.
Also, fix your focus under full-spectrum light, then switch. The images might be a little underexposed, which probably won't hurt you once they're adjusted in PP.
You should be able to give a nice DOF, and if you really want to explore that you can get an image-stacking program.
Thanks Terry. I'm getting more interested in this kind of Macro photography. I'm using my M50 amd M100 macros for this and trying different wavelengths of UV light. So far the Long Wave is producing the most vivid results - although it poses the greatest health hazards and requires the most caution in using it.
10-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IIRC you can block the UV with a bit of plexiglass - you may want to research that, and build a custom light box for a few bucks which will let you photograph and keep your eyes healthy. The best UV for this purpose is the dangerous type. My dad had (probably still has) an old mineral light which was a lot of fun to play with. I bet you can find one of those pretty inexpensively, too.