Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax user on tv

ok one of the tv news programs came over to my house the other day and did an interview with me smile about my on line newspaper. it was a bit wheard to be the one being interviewed but fun

Vido can be seen hear smile

WHSV - HomePage WHSV - Harrisonburg, VA News

my on line newspaper

The Photograph

02-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done and good luck to you.
02-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #3

Congratulations on some very positive publicity. Good job Nathan.
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Outstanding, Nathan! Very well-deserved.

02-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you !!!!!

i keped saying i use Pentax cameras LOL hoping that it would make it in to the report LOL in fact the lens i was using was one i bought off of hinman (REALLY nice guy) on hear i need to test it out so i used it whill i was doing the inervew
02-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's cool nathan, and a great promo for your site
02-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent Nathan and congrats, Nice to see you getting some recognition and it should drive up the views of the blog. Well deserved and good luck.

02-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
this has to be the best on line forum on line
02-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very cool. Keep the faith, Brother!
02-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats Nathan !
02-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Very nice to see the video, Nathan! Your working relationships with local TV news and police agencies are very commendable. Y'makin' us all proud!
02-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very cool, Congrats. We used to have a local paper that allowed users to report stories. I was one of the frequent users, but they stopped it due to lack of others like me using it. I bet others have noticed (or maybe not) all the local news channels have been promoting the post your own on scene shots or video. Even MSNBC and CNN have spots they want you to send in your news pictures or video. Heck they even want cell phone photos. As I find it very rewarding as an amateur looking for recognition I often wonder if we are selling or selves short by giving it away. Nathan you have done a great job and have followed your stuff for a while now. I hope the story helps your goal of doing this full time. I have more to add but gotta run. Did not mean to hijack the thread with my thoughts but think they are relevant. Again, CONGRATS.

PS is so wierd (not in a bad way) seeing someone from here on video instead of photograph.
02-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Very cool, Congrats. We used to have a local paper that allowed users to report stories. I was one of the frequent users, but they stopped it due to lack of others like me using it. I bet others have noticed (or maybe not) all the local news channels have been promoting the post your own on scene shots or video. Even MSNBC and CNN have spots they want you to send in your news pictures or video. Heck they even want cell phone photos. As I find it very rewarding as an amateur looking for recognition I often wonder if we are selling or selves short by giving it away. Nathan you have done a great job and have followed your stuff for a while now. I hope the story helps your goal of doing this full time. I have more to add but gotta run. Did not mean to hijack the thread with my thoughts but think they are relevant. Again, CONGRATS.

PS is so wierd (not in a bad way) seeing someone from here on video instead of photograph.
no hijack good points

i thought about the very thing your talking about. do i give them photos for free witch is a big no no in my book. what it is is advertising for free they can reach more people than i can and when they use one of my photos they credit me and give out my newspaper link on air and on there web sight. now i get as much add time as there payed adds so that is a cople of hundred $$$$$$ tv adds are expensive and i would not be able to buy any add time. BUT this way i may not get the $$$$ in cash i do get it in tried so it workes for me. now also the TV news is not a copeter of what i am doing the newspapers are so i am not helping my copotion . i would make the papers pay $$$ if they ask for a photo they are my direct copetors. i also have aragements with the other TV news reporters that cover news in the county for a neather TV station NBC 29 out of Charlottesville. i have some of there reportes phone # if i hear any thing interstimg i call them and if they hear any thing they call me. it makes things ezer for me to get info, i am all by my self and have no teem to help out this arangent helps me get info and not miss as much as i would other wise.

so

WHSV gets photos, i get free add space

NBC 29 we share intell on stores, i get info and storys i would not other wise

get this the 2 newspapers will not tuch my photos with a 10 ft poll lol EVEN if i have the only photos to be had and that happens a LOT. i do not think they like my terms at all LOL 70$ a photo published ( if they published 1 photo in the paper that is 70$ and 1 on line that is a neather 70$) and i KEEP my copy right.

one newspaper did open a submit your news photo thing so i thought that well what i would do is send them photos that where OLD and or ones the editor would not use ( over 6 monthes old or more art geard photo) in the paper thus getting my free advertising and they would not use the photos in print or on line, but well i got a email saying that they would aprshat that i do not up lode any photos LOL
02-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Very nice to see the video, Nathan! Your working relationships with local TV news and police agencies are very commendable. Y'makin' us all proud!
that takes a LOT of work lol with the va police it was intersting at first then what i did was talked to there media person in Richmond then i also talked to the supviser at the local station and got the do and do nots lol and i they where ez to work with and now i have no problems at all there realy decint people working there

now i have been doing this sence i was 15 when i shot my first fatal car wreck and have experience shooting what i do so this online newspaper is not me just jumping out and chasing stuff for the first time. i been studying photoj for a LONG time and it can be dangers or you can piss off a police offcer or fire fighter ( well i do on a cations but they rather not have ANY reporters around) so some one unexperienced just running in could get heart or wreck it for the rest of us. i hope that i am not sounding bad but i would HATE for some one that it is there first wreck or fire to get put in to the hospital or worse. i tell people to do there home work first read laws that cover photoj call the apropret agncys look at others work and ask ????? first
02-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Very good point Nathan. Our company has advertised for the first time on TV. It is big $$$ so you make agreat valid point. In the future I will be doing the same. (that is if I do anything like that) Again Good luck.