Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Low Level Lighting

WWhat is a good way to take Hi-definition photos in situations like Bars or indoors? I usually get a good exposure but it seems to lack definition.. Any suggestions .. here is an example..(I just shot these as jpeg real quick to show you)

I would rather my pics come out more like this..

credits cymagen url =http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/52043809_ab09f97abb.jpg?v=0

credits Autumn Sonnicsen Url = http://www.autumnsonnichsen.com/louise_files/k.jpg]

Last edited by joreed3; 02-09-2008 at 10:21 PM.
02-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My first inclination is you have the kit lens and are shooting wide open. Neither of those will give great, sharp shots in low light.
02-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
im using an Asahi K mount 55mm lens... What lens do you recommend to get those type of results?
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The shots that you have used as an example of what you want are using lighting designed for the shot. Your example is misfocussed, in existing light...

to achieve similar results to the bottom 2 photos, you will need to work with lighting. Check out Strobist!

Also, work on your manual focus.

02-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
you think they are using lights? Can you recommend a good lens..?
02-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I also hate the idea of having lighting equipment all the time. Is there a way to achieve these results using available light?
02-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Moved the thread so you'd get more help but here is what I can offer...

Those images you like have outside light sources, the definition you want is caused by light and in your image you don't have much and not in the direction you want it to go.

I have a video on how to shoot bar & night club photography with a small light that is handheld and you can watch it on my blog at Photography 2.0 just scroll down it's after my home made ring light how-to.

Your lens isn't going to change the output so much as good light and good light trumps fast glass any day. Basically in the first image you like there are two light sources and they look to be strobes fired to get the effect. One is high and 45 degrees on camera left and you can tell by looking at the shadows on the first girl because her shirt has the a downward shadow pattern. The second strobe is on the far camera right and you can tell because of the shadow behind the girls of the wooden beams cast on the wall. There is also some PP'ing and you can tell because of the trailer outside the window is too flat and the room is a little on the hdr side.

Image number two also has two light sources. One is outside the vehicle coming through the rear window and you can physically see the flare from it so it's obvious. The second light isn't so obvious but if you follow the shadows there is a fill light coming in from camera left so she isn't too dark. These could be continuous lights because of the high ISO look that was achieved, but it could be PP'ing.

My recommendations... learn to light better and everything will get better. You don't have to buy anything just learn to use natural lights, like lighting in the house, window light, reflections from water, etc.

02-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

Those images you like have outside light sources, the definition you want is caused by light and in your image you don't have much and not in the direction you want it to go.

I have a video on how to shoot bar & night club photography with a small light that is handheld and you can watch it on my blog at Photography 2.0 just scroll down it's after my home made ring light how-to.

Your lens isn't going to change the output so much as good light and good light trumps fast glass any day. Basically in the first image you like there are two light sources and they look to be strobes fired to get the effect. One is high and 45 degrees on camera left and you can tell by looking at the shadows on the first girl because her shirt has the a downward shadow pattern. The second strobe is on the far camera right and you can tell because of the shadow behind the girls of the wooden beams cast on the wall. There is also some PP'ing and you can tell because of the trailer outside the window is too flat and the room is a little on the hdr side.

Image number two also has two light sources. One is outside the vehicle coming through the rear window and you can physically see the flare from it so it's obvious. The second light isn't so obvious but if you follow the shadows there is a fill light coming in from camera left so she isn't too dark. These could be continuous lights because of the high ISO look that was achieved, but it could be PP'ing.

My recommendations... learn to light better and everything will get better. You don't have to buy anything just learn to use natural lights, like lighting in the house, window light, reflections from water, etc.
+1
I was going to say things along those lines. In your shot you've missed focus (manual focus lens im guessing). There is nothing wrong with your lens but your lighting as Chris pointed out. You may not like having to carry lighting gear around but it will make a world of difference to your pictures if you use how to learn! Much more than just buying a new lens anyway.
And watch Chris's night club videas. They're an absolute must in my books if your into that kind of shooting.

Thanks
02-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was going to recommend touching base with Chris. But he beat me to it. Take a minute to check his video. I believe it is what you are hoping to accomplich.
02-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the help guys.. I have been using film for so long im really not used to using my pentax yet. Is PPing Photoshopping?
02-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by joreed3 Quote
Is PPing Photoshopping?
Not quite, PP=PostProcessing which is often done in photoshop and the ilk.

Thanks
02-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

Great info I really appreciate it... So do you have any Post Processing tips to achieve that type of dreary tone in the example pics I posted??
02-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joreed3 Quote
you think they are using lights?
Yes. No question.

But I actually like yours better than those, bad focus or not.

Is the image cropped? How far away were you?
02-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree with Matt, and was wondering the same thing.

I don't know if it's really out of focus, or just a very narrow DOF and soft.
02-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well to be honest I try to stay away from pictures that look like well.. Pictures. Im looking to create really eye popping photos like I used to create in Film. I love dreamy/dreary looking pictures rather than something Generic. I want to create this without using HDR any suggestions?