Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #1

Bringing the K10 to Vegas

I'm headed to Vegas next weekend, staying downtown on Fremont Street, but plan to get to the strip as well. I thought since Vegas is "bright lights", it might be a great opportunity to take a break from the slots and spend some time playing with my k10.

Anyone have suggestions on neat photo opps in Vegas? I want to practice/play with shutter speed + a tripod during the light show on Fremont street, and I imagine the Stratosphere may present some ideas as well ... but I'd love to hear from any of you if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by deludel; 02-10-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typos
02-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
While there do not forget about visit to Hoover Dam
02-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Take the Damn Tour hah on my list
Depending on Time and Money there are plane and or Helicopter rides that take you to the Grand Canyon , Hoover Dam and fly over the strip at night - on my list
Top of the Eiffel Tower at night is a must - they have holes in the steel frame to allow your lens to got through to get some shots.
If you are into vintage cars the Imperial Palace has a nice car show for cheap (think it was $6.00) some samples Daacon Flickr Vegas Car Show
The South Side has newer buildings nice place to take pics day or night.
Caesars Palace Forum Shops just reeks of very expensive things !
Shark Tank at Mandalay Bay (very dark though tough to get good shots)
The strip day or night
The Venetian has some very neat photo opps
Man there are sooooooooooooo many places and opportunities to take pics there - my flickr site has a few others ....

Have a great trip !

02-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Top of the Eiffel Tower at night is a must - they have holes in the steel frame to allow your lens to got through to get some shots.

Man there are sooooooooooooo many places and opportunities to take pics there
Have a great trip !
Thanks for the tips, Dave! I checked out yours & Pat's pics, and am now officially excited! I've been to Vegas twice before, but never with an SLR ... this is a cool way to pass time without hurting the wallet too much! (I'll save that task for the husband)

I'm still learning all about Shutter Speed/Aperture/Etc and would love some tips on night photography .. expecially those shots of the Bellagio/Paris/Strip that came out so well.

Thanks!
02-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ldelude Quote
Thanks for the tips, Dave! I checked out yours & Pat's pics, and am now officially excited! I've been to Vegas twice before, but never with an SLR ... this is a cool way to pass time without hurting the wallet too much! (I'll save that task for the husband)

I'm still learning all about Shutter Speed/Aperture/Etc and would love some tips on night photography .. expecially those shots of the Bellagio/Paris/Strip that came out so well.

Thanks!
Haha that is funny with us it is the exact opposite my wife investing in the slots and I am out snapping pics. l say invested cause last year we came back with about 2/3 'rds of what we brought to spend and anyone who has been to Vegas knows that is a very successfully trip

Most of those night shots (the complete set is Vegas2007-NightShots - a photoset on Flickr )were taken with my Tamron 18-250 a pretty slow lens. I am pretty new as well at DLSR I think I left my K10D in P mode and just bumped the ISO up to 800 and that was enough. Up in the tower you can rest the camera pretty steady on the grate.

Also be prepared to stay up there a bit. At night it is much more popular as you can imagine and all kinds of people are taking shots. When I was up there most would move and let you take a shot if they were not shooting one. The Bellagio water show runs every half hour I think ? Those pics I took were quite late the second last show at about 11:30 or 11:45 I think. So at that point you can imagine I was also feeling pretty good haha . It is pretty cool in the day time as well - you can see for miles. Some daytime shots are Vegas2007-Hotels - a photoset on Flickr

The beauty with digital is instant feedback so snap / review / if like keep if not delete the snap again.
02-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #7

Don't forget there are photo ops during the day in Vegas also!

Tom

02-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Have fun take lots of pics

I just came back the end of January just for a 3 day visit and took over 200 pictures. This is my flickr site of my Vegas favorites that I had sent to some friends. :Las Vegas - a photoset on Flickr

My post of 2-3 pic was posted earlier.

I agree there is so much to see. We rented a car the 1st day and drove out to the Hoover Dam but a helicopter ride would be more fun. In the morning I was up early and took the car out into the desert and Mts for some sunrise pictures (was back by the time my wife got up).

Lots of the inside of the hotels have aquariums and botanical displays that are pretty neat. Lots of night pictures. I wish I had gone up the top of the Eiffel, it was on my list but just ran out of time.
I had never been there so it was a lot of fun, tacky but fun.
02-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You really could spend the week taking pictures. I to was there a few days only and one thing that was tough is no one else really big in to photography and time really goes by faster then you think. I would for sure do a helicopter ride if had to do over again. Almost did but change my mind at the last minutes becuase of time issues. I got lucky on the Eiffel tower, meaning it was a windy chilly night so not many people up there. My wife was up there about 2 mintes and decided that was enough. The slots to shot through are helpful. Have fun it's digitial. experiment with shutter speeds. Good luck
02-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #10

I just got back from Vegas a few weeks ago, and there are photo op's EVERYWHERE!!! You will have a great time! I am new to the SLR world and could have spent all day by myself taking shots, but unfortunately I went with a few friends who were a little less than patient with me taking shot after shot trying to get the right settings.

I really wanted to take my tripod to the top of the Stratosphere, but don't even try they won't let you

If you catch the Bellagio fountain show, that is a great place to take some shots playing around with SS.

Have a great time!