Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #31

Nice thread.
It gives me a chance to ask a local queation. Where do most of u guys but things online? I'm in the south west of WA and the local camera shop doesnt really cut it. Advice wise this forum beats them every time. But when it comes to upgrading wot is a good online option?
Cheers!
Fritz.

04-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Fritz,

Put simply, for new gear, I'd go to B&H (bhphoto.com), and for 2nd hand gear, you can get what you need (if it's not too hard to find) at the Photographer's marketplace on this forum. Ask for what you want in the Wanted items section and you may be surprised with what you'll find...
04-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you don't want to go the overseas route (I think if the item is over $1,000 you will be up for GST anyway) you can check out this site Cheap digital cameras and camera accessories | Camera-Warehouse

I actually haven't bought from them but I have heard from others that it is pretty reputable and seems a lot cheaper as well - as far as cameras go there isn't a huge difference to buying o/seas once GST is added back on.

As for lenses and flashes I would definetly source from o/seas sites - they are well overpriced in OZ and mostly under the $1,000 mark so no GST. eg You will save about $300 on a flash - that's a fair bit in my book.
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #34

Sydney !!

Gee,..so Many Melbournians and Victorians !!

Figured I had better Add some 'Old Bugger' Sydney support !!,..lol

Have owned and almost continuosly used my 'range' of Old 35mm Spotmatics,..some of my lenses and cameras are over 30 years old or more and WE,..lol are still going fine, with Very dew if Any visits to the camera doctor in all those years!!

Realising my SP500 Could actually 'Shoot' at 1/1000, many years ago,..was a personal revelation !!!,..lol

What can I say,..Sydney,..a Photographers Dream !!,..

Have worked semi professionally Many years ago, within the entertainment industry,..but did and still do have a somewhat "Haassian" like of Buildings, Cityscapes and reflections!

Great to see so many Aussie Pentaxians !!

04-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #35

Thanks guys!
Gives me a few options. The only thing that worries me with overseas purchases is after sales service (not that we get any down here). What do I do if the camera has a fault? ALso if I buy o/s when do I get chargd the gst.
Now all I gotta do is save the pennys!
Cheers.
04-30-2008, 05:02 AM   #36
Forum Member

I'm one of the few Sydneysiders it seems. I live in the Eastern Suburbs, but I'm not that much of a snob I swear!
I work for ninemsn as Content Manager for the yourmovies website which is pretty cruisy and I love taking photos. As part of my job I've taken photos of Henry Rollins as well as Maroon 5 and Matchbox 20 in concert. Soon I think I'm taking photos of James Blunt too.
I've been shooting Pentax for a few years now - I jumped in with the DS and then upgraded to the K10D when I could and I haven't look back since! Now I just need a few more lenses and my life will be complete!
05-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Damn ... how do you get to shoot at those gigs Patang ... or is it through work contacts that you can get into some of these concerts????

Need to organise a meet sometime ... although LanceB looks to have organised something on Sunday the 11th of May (just around the corner) for Sydneysiders.

05-14-2008, 01:03 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Yes, PW... I follow its activities, but have not been able to make it to any of their "meets." I live between Glen Iris (have a unit there), and Mt Doran (35 km SE of Ballarat) where our home is, and am in Geelong every second Wednesday!
Daryl
05-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #39

G'day folks, glad to meet you all. I'm based in Bondi/Randwick in Sydney, working for a software company here. My K10D is my first SLR and I love it to bits. Really don't take as many photos as I probably should, and my attempts to address this was one of my key resolutions for the new year.

Shame I missed the meet, it would have been great to meet some of the characters from here, but I'm sure we'll see a few more events in the coming months.
05-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #40

Chiming in from Western Sydney,
teach in a private High School and do all the inhouse Video and Photograpy/Design production.
Before that, was at AFTRS for 15 ears in Video and Film post production.
Run a Camera Club for the kids once a week after school, and teach an evening Adult Class in Digital Photography once a week, keeps me busy and out of trouble LOL.

Cheers
05-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I live in Sydney's southern suburbs.

I think we Sydney siders need to have a meet up day for all the Pentaxians from Pentax Forum and DPReview forum. It could be very big.
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #42

Sounds like a pretty good idea, encouraging a sense of community like that. Good time of the year to be shooting as long as it stays dry as well.
05-15-2008, 03:54 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Bill from Caboolture Queensland here - I go to jail everyday (but they continue to let me out!) my wife and I have a small photography business doing anything from portraits and weddings to 'jewelled' surfboards - I kid you not. Would be very interested in geting together with others from Brissy.
05-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #44

I'm from western Sydney and work in the travel industry, I have been working with Pentax cameras for sometime. My father gave me a k1000 which I blew 3 rolls of film as I didn't know anything. I have gone through other models I still own the k1000, MzS, DS and the K10D, these days I mostly shoot motorsport and landscape.
05-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Welcome Bill, if you join the SE Queensland group under Quicklinks | Social Groups at the top of the menu bar, you can post and read messages of specific interest to this region.

Dan.