Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Praise for Pentax, and a little bit for me.

I just got off the phone to the editor of a national car magazine. I've been talking with him the last few weeks about being his photographer in the state I live in and providing him with content. This includes full car features, as well as event photography.

Anyhow, I sent him off some photos I did of a car for another magazine. I e-mailed them this morning and he just rang me. I was sure to note that the images were RAW's converted straight to JPEG and no PP at all. The conversation went like this:

"How many shoots like this have you done?" I said,
"Including this one, two." Then he said,
"Wow, these are really very good. What gear are you using?" I said,
"Pentax", to which he replied,
"Oh, Pentax." I just laughed and said,
"Don't say that like I need a special parking space, haha." (The way he said it sounded like I was disabled). He said,
"No, no, I just expected Canon, 90% of our contributors use Canon gear. That 10% is all Nikon. I only know one other person who shoots Pentax, and he's in Brisbane. We don't use him often though." I said,
"Remember these are straight out of the camera too, no processing, some need white balance adjustment too." He replied,
"Wow, no, these are great. The colours, they're so...*10 second pause*...hmmm, I can't explain it, they are so...hmmmm...vibrant. That's still not the right word, they are just really really nice. I really like them."

Well there you go, maybe shooting Pentax is something that will set me apart from the other guys he uses. He was genuinely suprised and speechless at the images.

Here is one sample.

Thankyou for reading.

Adam.

02-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Adam. Good to see you getting reward for effort.
As for the Pentax comment....it would appear the detractors are finding it harder to make their mud stick.
Cheers
Grant
02-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny story. Good luck I hope you get some paid work out of it
02-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can't argue with a shot that good can you?

02-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!
02-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on the new job. Nothing beats getting published! Doing something you love is always a big plus too. Nice shot. Imagine car photography is tough to do. Bet he takes a closer look at the other Pentax photographer.
Have a friend who shoots Can*n. We always jab at each other in good fun. He always makes fun of Pentax and Olympus (I have those too.). Well looking at his unedited shots on a tv they always seem a little odd looking. The color is a little flat or something. All the trouble he gives the Oly for the small sensor, and yet it looks much better than the Can*n. The Pentax looks better too. He can get shots closer to the Pentax and Oly but it sure requires a lot of messing with PhotoShop. Think he secretly wishes to have a K10D. Wait till he sees the new cameras.
thanks
barondla
02-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Congrats. As you are an expert on car shots, I have a question. I have an old 280SL MB that I want to get some nice shots. How can a get a nice hood shot without the reflection of the clouds etc. distracting from the lines of the car? Do you use a polarizer? thanks,

mark

02-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congreats Adam !! keep us posted on any developements !
02-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good stuff! I love stories like this. Go Pentax!
02-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congradulation. The beauty of pentax. Editors like him and the others would know the colour difference and quality of image rendering comparing pentax to other competition brands .
02-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the support guys.

Will let you know when the magazine is out so y'all can go buy a copy...
02-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great story and I hope it works out in a new job for you. Clearly you have a good understanding of the subject from all the past posted pics. Good luck. Show 'em how great Pentax is with the right photog!!
02-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congrats !