Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

studio question

Hi,
I was looking to either buying a couple of strobes or perhaps going the strobist route, not sure yet, but anyway I have a question on the how the color of a studio wall can affect shots.

The only room I would be able to use my future setup would be in the room I also use as a home theater. For the home theater, the walls and the ceiling are a burgundy red color. Is this going to be a huge problem when I start taking photos in there? Will I see that red color bleed out into white backround shots?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!!!!!

02-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yes. it'll affect the color temperature of any light that bounces from the walls and ceiling. an easy solution is to hang white sheets or dropcloths around the area you'll be shooting to get maximum luminance, or black to reduce reflections if you'll be shooting highly reflective things and don't want distracting catchlights
02-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
yes. it'll affect the color temperature of any light that bounces from the walls and ceiling. an easy solution is to hang white sheets or dropcloths around the area you'll be shooting to get maximum luminance, or black to reduce reflections if you'll be shooting highly reflective things and don't want distracting catchlights

Thanks!! I guess I will have to buy several white sheets and find some way to hang them up on the ceiling and walls. Do you think covering half of the room with white sheets (underneath and above where the backdrop will be) will be sufficient. The room is about 14x10 I believe.

Or is the color cast I would get in the photos something that I could fix with some post processing?
02-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the problem is that it's only going to be reflected light that will have a color cast, so it's not like you could just adjust color temperature, as the direct lighting won't be altered.

02-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hit up Home Depot for some cheap white paint drop cloths
02-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Hit up Home Depot for some cheap white paint drop cloths
Great idea!! Thanks